+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia Anyone???

Try a little self-hypnosis. I'm a doula and use a similar technique with laboring mothers as well.

First, tell yourself that it's okay not to sleep - just laying in bed resting is good for you too. Let go of some of the pressure to SLEEP!

Then starting with your toes, tense the muscles there for a few seconds, then release them and imagine them getting so relaxed that they are becoming heavy and limp -- sinking into the mattress.

After a few minutes, when your toes are good and relaxed, move on to your whole foot and do the same thing - tense the muscles, release them and feel them getting very heavy and relaxed.

Slowly work your way up to the top of your head with this process. If an area starts to "un-relax" just calmly go back and repeat the exercise there.

If you do this slowly and gently you probably won't make it past your thighs, but if you get to your head and still aren't sleepy, don't stress over it as that just makes the whole problem worse (I know - easier said than done!)

Another tip is to make your bedroom a very cozy and relaxing place where you only sleep. Don't work in there, don't watch TV or play on the computer. Of course, some of us don't have a choice and have to have our desk in the bedroom because there just isn't anywhere else. But if you can arrange it so that your bedroom is your "sleep chamber", so your mind will not equate that space with working.

oh mollyrose, i've done that exercise before. it's definitely relaxing if nothing else!

and good advice about only sleeping . . where you want to sleep . . unconscious associations can definitely affect your ability to sleep.

Leo
    Premium Member
    I don't have insomia. If anything, I have the opposite problem - I can pretty much fall asleep on any vehicle I'm on (except when I'm driving, of course) - and quite a few times, I've missed where I'm supposed to be getting off and ended up about half a kilometer from where I was supposed to be.

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    Originally posted by cali
    My husband has had trouble sleeping for about 5 years. He had a sleep test thing done at the hospital, but they decided there was nothing wrong.

He sleeps about 4 to 5 hours a night, but that is interreupted sleep. If he could sleep 5 hours straight he'd be fine.

The doctor told him that sleep aids wouldn't work as he really doesn't have trouble getting to sleep, it's staying asleep that is hard.

I'm going to tell him about the "drawer" trick, as I wonder if he wakes up thinking about stuff

Hopefully that will help
    I have the same problem. Alot of it is caused by your breathing. Try having a fan in the room it helps to circulate the air, also breath rite stripes work.

As far as cant slepp the best thing to do is get your mind off of thinking about things. The best thing for this is TV. Put on a semi interesting show, I like to watch some sports or an old movie I've seen before. Once you start watching you should be able to relax forget about your worries and drift away.

I have had it forever, off and on and now its on. I have sleep apnia(sp) too, have woken up gasping for air cause I had quit breathing. Not fun the third time in one night. If I can go 6+ hours a night and only wake up less than 4 times, I am doing good. I usually wake up between 3-6 times a night. It's catching up to me now too, sometimes I am real crabby for the day and just lethargic.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Thanks nofx, we do have a ceiling fan, (yes, don't tell anyone at Trading Spaces). Maybe we should just turn it on low.

Ili, how long are you awake when you wake up during the night? Do you fall right back asleep? My FIL has sleep apnea, pretty scary stuff.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    I don't care what TS says I love my fans and I have great looking ones too! And I keep them all on at all times! lol

I have taken melatonin. It works really great. A little goes a long way. About 15 minutes after I take it I am super happy for 10 minutes. Then BAM! sleep for as long as you need and wake up refreshed and happy and ready to go. Love that stuff!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I've thought about trying melatonin. My cousin has a disabled child who has absolutely no sleep pattern, he never sleeps for more than two or three hours at a time. The doctors told her to try melatonin on him and it worked like a charm. They had tried everything else, and this was the only thing that worked for him.

I'm awake until at least four a.m. every night. The only thing that ever puts me to sleep is putting in an old, old movie that I've seen hundreds of times. After about 30 minutes, I'm out.

I have sleep apnea too. It's not severe, but I can NOT sleep on my back. I wake up gasping for air, or my husband wakes me up and tells me to breathe. Very scary stuff.

Originally posted by cali
    Ili, how long are you awake when you wake up during the night? Do you fall right back asleep? My FIL has sleep apnea, pretty scary stuff.

Cali, I wake up long enough to look at the clock radio. That way I can tell you exactly what time it was every time I woke up the night before. Like the other night....2:44, 3:35, 5:23, 7:03. And I had gone to bed around 1 am to get a good nights sleep. Sometimes I will get up and get some saltine crackers and cranberry juice, if I have been tossing and turning. Used to have a smoke but since I quit last year I have crackers lol.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast