+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 255
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

  1. #81
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,039

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Back on topic: does anyone remember a tablet you added to water that made if fizzy and flavored like soda? This would have been in the late 60s/early 70s. I don't remember the name, but I loved it.
    There was also one of those attached to a stick (don't remember if it fizzed) so you could color/sugar your water while stirring. It was called King Stir. (Why the heck do I remember that?)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  2. #82
    FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,739

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    What memories! Pads to fizzies to make up! I have whitening hair (it used to be brown) and I HATE that my brow hair is wild and white-much fewer brown hairs! I now am using brown pencil, but MRD, does the powder work as easily as the pencil?

  3. #83
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,704

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    I looked up the fizzy tablets, and they were (and are) called Fizzies and they're back on the market. They're now even available in sugar free form.

    There's a store in town that sells nostalgia candy. They probably have them. I know they sell those wax bottles with the candy liquid in them. And Lik-a-made. Remember that? Kind of like Pixie Sticks but in a package rather than a straw.

    What about local candies like the Bing Bar and Nut Goodies?

  4. #84
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,704

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    The Sanitary Belt - I'd forgotten all about that! That and a panty girdle for the stockings was the closest thing to a chastity belt there's been in modern times!
    I wore the belt exactly once, before I quickly figured out that my mother was out of touch with the times and that improvements had been made that meant it was unnecessary--and really, what idiot came up with that idea in the first place? It absolutely had to be a man, because no woman would do that to herself.

    Speaking of which, what morons come up with the name for what my mother used to euphemistically refer to as "monthly supplies"? Always? Who wants to have their period "always"? Stayfree? Nothing particularly "freeing" about that time of the month, unless you're relieved to find out you're not pregnant.

    I was at a conference once where a grad student was delivering a paper and kept referring to the particular stories as "co-texts," while all the women in my row flinched every time he said it. I finally whispered, "Okay, who's going to tell him he's really got to come up with another term for that?" One of the other women sighed and said, "I know him. I'll do it." I hope he took it well.
    Ellen, PWS, spockwhat and 1 others like this.

  5. #85
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    ...
    Speaking of which, what morons come up with the name for what my mother used to euphemistically refer to as "monthly supplies"? Always? Who wants to have their period "always"? Stayfree? Nothing particularly "freeing" about that time of the month, unless you're relieved to find out you're not pregnant.
    Excellent points!


    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I was at a conference once where a grad student was delivering a paper and kept referring to the particular stories as "co-texts," while all the women in my row flinched every time he said it. I finally whispered, "Okay, who's going to tell him he's really got to come up with another term for that?" One of the other women sighed and said, "I know him. I'll do it." I hope he took it well.
    That was so funny I almost choked!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  6. #86
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I wore the belt exactly once, before I quickly figured out that my mother was out of touch with the times and that improvements had been made that meant it was unnecessary--and really, what idiot came up with that idea in the first place? It absolutely had to be a man, because no woman would do that to herself.

    Speaking of which, what morons come up with the name for what my mother used to euphemistically refer to as "monthly supplies"? Always? Who wants to have their period "always"? Stayfree? Nothing particularly "freeing" about that time of the month, unless you're relieved to find out you're not pregnant.

    I was at a conference once where a grad student was delivering a paper and kept referring to the particular stories as "co-texts," while all the women in my row flinched every time he said it. I finally whispered, "Okay, who's going to tell him he's really got to come up with another term for that?" One of the other women sighed and said, "I know him. I'll do it." I hope he took it well.

  7. #87
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    You can still get those Fizzies. I've seen them in catalogues, like maybe Vermont Country Store that has lots of old fashioned items and candy.
    Re eyebrow powder vs pencils: I love the powder ones. I have bald spots in both my eyebrows ( not due to overplucking...just aging process, I guess). The powders look so much more natural. My last purchase was one by Laura Mercier.....a little pricey but it has two colors in the case for natural blending and there's enough product to last a long time. I just need to remember to do my eyebrows. Thank goodness I have bangs so it's not too noticeable.

  8. #88
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,704

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    Related to the candy conversation: there's a book called Candy Freak by Steve Almond (and yes, he thinks it's funny that a guy named Almond wrote a book about candy too) that covers a lot of the local specialty candies made by little companies as opposed to the big candy makers. The comment about Vermont Country Store, which carries a number of such candies, made me think of it.

    It's kind of interesting to find out how such candies were developed, how they're made, and how they have to fight to survive, even in terms of market placement. It really is the devoted consumers that keep them going, many of whom, of course, got hooked as kids.

  9. #89
    Bloomin' FoRT Fanatic! ness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roseland!
    Posts
    10,059

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    I'm SO glad I was wandering around and wandered in here, today!

    The things y'all are talking about, I remember all of them and lived MOST of them . . .

    Never thought I'd ever hear myself say this, but what I wouldn't give sometimes to go back to that simpler, less-complicated life.

    I miss it, and these kids nowadays have NOT A CLUE what having FUN actually is!

    While I was typing just now (and yes, I actually learned to type on first, manual, then ELECTRIC typewriters in high school; those things were almost as big as our desktops and were heavy as LEAD!), these popped into my head:

    Anybody remember when there were actually pay phones on the streets, and you could make a call for 5 cents, or then a dime?

    If you needed to make copies of something you were typing, you actually put carbon paper between sheets of blank paper to do so? And if you made a mistake when you typed, you had to use a long, thin eraser shaped and sharpened like a pencil that had a brush on the end for you to brush away the eraser crumbs? Or a smaller rubber eraser that was round like a doughnut, but still had an eraser brush attached to it for cleaning up the crumbs? And you started correcting from the back copy and worked your way to the top original, putting a card over every erasure you'd previously made, so your carbon copies weren't smeared with blue ink from the carbon paper?

    Does anybody remember going to school and ACTUALLY HAVING TO KNOW THEIR MULTIPLICATION TABLES BY HEART? And, actually having to KNOW how to multiply, divide, subtract and add on tests? And --- not too long after calculators really took off --- having calculators confiscated before a test?

    Sorry if any of the above has been posted already. I was reading and soaking all these memories up so fast, I'll plead guilty to probably having speed-read and through some of them, to get as many as I could as quickly as I could.

    I was laughing and smiling so hard as I read, my cheeks were hurting!
    Last edited by ness; 10-09-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Ellen, nennie, inthegarden and 1 others like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

  10. #90
    Me and my shadow Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Always together.
    Posts
    12,935

    Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

    I remember pay phones (they still have them around here) and how we would put a dime in the slots of our penny loafers in high school in case we needed to make an emergency call.
    I also learned to type on a typewriter and memorized the math tables. They're getting back to that at our school, by the way.
    When I started high school the dress code for girls was still no pants, but during my time there (early 70s) it switched to pants but no jeans and then jeans on Fridays. That was also around the time of hot pants and see-through shirts. Remember those?
    ness likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.