+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Post-cancer it means rotten banana. I hardly ever have to shave my legs or pits post - chemo, but my eyebrows? Crazy like an old man's.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I hear you, SugarMama! Fact is, if I'm not wearing lipstick you really can't tell I have lips.

Nature uses hair as a message. Post puberty it tells whoever sees it that you can have children. Post menopause, it says don't even think about it.
    And here I thought saggy boobs and big butts, sent that message.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last all day lip color. I hated having to carry lipstick and reapply all day, so I didn't. Now I use the Cover Girl ones you can get at Walgreens (watch the BOGO sales, they have them about once a month). The stuff is so light feeling I can't tell I have it on. Hate that waxy feel from regular lipstick.
    I have a hilarious book called: Suck your Stomach in and Put on Some Lipstick. It's about the advice our mothers gave us.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Post-cancer it means rotten banana. I hardly ever have to shave my legs or pits post - chemo, but my eyebrows? Crazy like an old man's.
    After chemo in the early 90's I was bald as an egg. I still don't have to shave. But my eyebrows grew back with kind of wonky and they do require attention. I sympathize.

Quote Originally Posted by mrd
    Now I use the Cover Girl ones you can get at Walgreens (watch the BOGO sales, they have them about once a month).
    mrd, what Cover Girl lipstick is it? I wanna check it out.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 10-05-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last all day lip color.
    Me too. I used L'oreal Infallible lip color....the ones you apply with a brush, not the lipstick type. Comes with a lip balm to top it off and the little "box' it comes in works as a mirror. Sometimes it gets a little flaky but not if you reapply the balm once in awhile.

Maybe it's just me and I've gone sans make-up for too long, but when I wear a lip color (or eye shadow or blush) I look like a doll (artificial) or like I'm trying too hard. I've known several older ladies who lose the ability to judge the effect of the make-up they're applying and it just looks pathetic. I'll keep telling myself I'm a natural beauty.
    Back on topic: does anyone remember a tablet you added to water that made if fizzy and flavored like soda? This would have been in the late 60s/early 70s. I don't remember the name, but I loved it.
    Count your blessings!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I never wear lipstick either... never have. I have full lips though, and I feel like it's too much if I draw attention to them. Just eyeliner and mascara for me!

I apologize to any of our guys out there for the following, but for some reason when I think of how things have changed, I immediately think of the improvements to pads. My goodness, what we wore when we were kids! When my daughters complain, I remind them of what we wore... and how great it is now. From one inch thick with a BELT, to always infinity. We've come a long way baby.

I remember smoking in diners. I loved that. Sorry to the non-smokers, but I LOVED having a smoke with my coffee after dinner. So relaxing. Now, it's rush out between dinner and dessert.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I never wear lipstick either... never have. I have full lips though, and I feel like it's too much if I draw attention to them. Just eyeliner and mascara for me!

I apologize to any of our guys out there for the following, but for some reason when I think of how things have changed, I immediately think of the improvements to pads. My goodness, what we wore when we were kids! When my daughters complain, I remind them of what we wore... and how great it is now. From one inch thick with a BELT, to always infinity. We've come a long way baby.

I remember smoking in diners. I loved that. Sorry to the non-smokers, but I LOVED having a smoke with my coffee after dinner. So relaxing. Now, it's rush out between dinner and dessert.

Thank goodness we have come a long way with feminine hygiene. I learned after Katrina that EVERYONE donates diapers and formula, canned goods, etc. But they have a real need for pads and tampons too (and there's not a lot else you can substitute). So now, I buy pads and tampons for the donation drives.

In some places where I live, you can still smoke in restaurants.
    But it's getting fewer. I too enjoy an after dinner smoke. Word if warning, the smoking police will be all over both of us for mentioning this.

I don't know what the cover girl one is named. It has a sponge applicator. Looks more like lipgloss packaging than a tube of lipstick. The trick is finding the right color that enhances and doesn't look garish. I see a lot if women that could stand going a few shades lighter with the lip color. I have thin lips and eyebrows. The brows are thin and light. I typically use brow powder and lipstick. And just in the last few years found mascara that isn't hard to remove and doesn't give me raccoon eyes after a couple hours. I can't remember who makes it, but it's in a bright yellow tube in the drug store.
    Yes, I use drug store makeup. I had a professional makeup artist tell me the only difference between that and mire expensive department store makeup was the price. He also said, doing fall fir products with caviar, seaweed or other exotic ingredients. He said the very small amount in the product is not enough to make a difference and just jacks up the price.
    spockwhat likes this.

MRD

Sorry guys. I used my phone to post and it won't let me edit my mistakes (which it caused with it's auto correct function). The above should read: don't fall for products with exotic ingredients.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

The tablets we dropped into water for a flavored beverage were called "Fizzies" (tm).

Totally agree on the drugstore makeup. There are a slew of drugstore makeup products that are near or exact dupes of their high end department store counterparts. Also, the manufacturers of expensive makeup lines have owned the drugstore lines, as well, for some years now. As a result, the quality of many drugstore lines has improved to the point that they are no longer distinguishable from the high end ones.

The only difference I see is that the drugstore brands don't serve the "I Am So Worth It" sensibility that Sephora and department store counters serve so well. If you want to test one, Google "drugstore dupe for [fill in prduct name]". I do this all the time and have found equivalent products at very reasonable prices.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 10-06-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I apologize to any of our guys out there for the following, but for some reason when I think of how things have changed, I immediately think of the improvements to pads. My goodness, what we wore when we were kids! When my daughters complain, I remind them of what we wore... and how great it is now. From one inch thick with a BELT, to always infinity. We've come a long way baby...
    The Sanitary Belt - I'd forgotten all about that! That and a panty girdle for the stockings was the closest thing to a chastity belt there's been in modern times!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread