+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

MRD

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

I've gotten more self confident and outspoken as I've aged. I'm going to be the old lady that says EXACTLY what's on her mind and damn the torpedos. And everyone will just say: "it's ok, she's old"

I have learned to value people and relationships more and material things less.

We have simplified our life and it's SO much easier and less stress. But every so often, the need to kick up my heels is too much to resist. I just pay dearly for it the next day. But, oh is it fun on occasion.

I have reached the point where I can forecast the weather with my knees. It's that kind of stuff that I don't like about getting older. The rest really isn't all that bad.
    Poppy Fields and SugarMama like this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

I just thought this was amusing. I walked into a "kids these days" kind of conversation yesterday. You know, "Kids these days are so smart-mouthed. I never would have gotten away with that when I was their age. They're so bratty, and their parents don't do anything about it." You know--that kind of thing. What was funny about it, at least to me, was that no one in the conversation was over 21 themselves.

I guess it doesn't matter how young you are--you still may have warm, fuzzy feelings about how much better thing were in the old days. Even if those "old days" were about five minutes ago.
    Poppy Fields likes this.

Another thing I've learned now that I'm middle-aged...I'm waaaaay less critical of others. I can remember (ashamedly now) how I used to criticize people's appearance, mannerisms, speech - not to their faces, mind you (sounds like LuAnn, huh?). It came so easily to me. I'd notice if someone had gained too much weight, gotten old and no longer pretty, said something inappropriate, put their elbows on the table, used the wrong fork...hypercritical.

Now that my body has plumped up, fallen down, hair turned grayISH, I feel pretty stupid. And as I look back, I can see that I did just as many things to be criticized FOR as I was critical OF. Stupid, stupid me. In a perfect world, I'd have the energy I had when I was 20, the body I had when I was 30, and the outlook I have now!

Now when somebody does something "iffy" I just brush it off...and when I do something stupid, I can laugh.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Another thing I've learned now that I'm middle-aged...I'm waaaaay less critical of others. I can remember (ashamedly now) how I used to criticize people's appearance, mannerisms, speech - not to their faces, mind you (sounds like LuAnn, huh?). It came so easily to me. I'd notice if someone had gained too much weight, gotten old and no longer pretty, said something inappropriate, put their elbows on the table, used the wrong fork...hypercritical.
    That I can definitely relate to. I think learning acceptance (of a lot of things) makes life much nicer.
    MyRosieDog: good to see you again.
    I used to think that I'd be a cranky old lady and say whatever I felt like, whenever I felt like it. Funny but as I keep aging, I found myself to be more understanding, more willing to bend, accept people for what they are and just move on. Surprised the heck out of me because I thought it would be fun to be that cranky old broad. But this way, by not making waves, not being fiesty, etc makes for a much more peaceful and happier life. I find myself smiling more than I ever used to. But then I'm older than most of you here.
    SugarMama likes this.

Okay, a friend sent this to me in "one of those" emails But I felt it would fit here...I can identify with almost all of these!

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s.......

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drunk alcohol while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes,we had baseball caps, not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we weren't overweight. WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.
    --And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned
    to solve the problem.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos, and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet, and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS, and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from those accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms, and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, 22 rifles for our 12th, rode horses, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and although we were
    told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers,problem solvers, and inventors ever.

The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas..

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of those born between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!

ness and norealityhere like this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

FORT Fogey

Coming in when the streetlights came on was the rule for every kid in my neighborhood. Don't know how all the parents decided on it, but we all knew it.

The year before my mom died, I was visiting her and coming back from walking my dog one evening, I stopped at her across the street neighbor's and chatted with her and her husband for a while. Suddenly, I heard my mother calling my name. I tore across the street, thinking she had fallen or was in trouble (she was on a walker at the time). When I got there, nothing was wrong, but I got scolded for not coming in with the lights came on.

I was 47 at the time.
    Jamie5632 and SugarMama like this.

Old habits die hard.
    My mother's always telling me I need to wear some lipstick. I haven't worn make-up since my teens and I'm not about to start now. I don't know how women cope with all that goopy stuff coming off on cups and glasses, reapplying throughout the day. Ick.
    nennie likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Makeup has come a long, long way since you were a teen, Gut. You can buy forumulations now that won't transfer onto anything (like your husband, coffee cup, collar, cell phone, etc.) and will last until you remove it. It can also look quite natural, a "my face but better" look for many of us. Then again, you may be one of those natural beauties who doesn't need any help with your appearance, except in your mom's opinion.

My lips have paled and thinned since I hit 45 or so I used to be able to just throw on some clear gloss or vaseline, but now I have the add a bit of color time has stolen. I don't like the feel of lipstick, either, so I use a lightly colored gloss.

Why does time have to treat us so badly? I now have lost hair in places I want it and gave gained hair in places I don't!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    My lips have paled and thinned since I hit 45 or so I used to be able to just throw on some clear gloss or vaseline, but now I have the add a bit of color time has stolen. I don't like the feel of lipstick, either, so I use a lightly colored gloss.

Why does time have to treat us so badly? I now have lost hair in places I want it and gave gained hair in places I don't!
    I hear you, SugarMama! Fact is, if I'm not wearing lipstick you really can't tell I have lips.

Nature uses hair as a message. Post puberty it tells whoever sees it that you can have children. Post menopause, it says don't even think about it.
    ness likes this.

+ Reply to Thread