+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Here are some of mine... shaving (with many cuts) with a razor that you had to change the razor blade in, babysitting before disposable diapers - trying not to stick the kids with those ducky pins, using a brownie camera you looked down into, putting the pictures in my album with little black "corners" along with my Beatles trading cards, rotary phones that stayed in one place, getting 5 channels on the tv, being one of the first families in town with color tv, watching Captain Kangaroo and the original Mickey Mouse Club (with Cubby and Karen and Annette). Walking quite a ways to school including crossing a busy street at a light when I was 5!!!! Not knowing a single mother who worked or parents who were divorced. Owning the first skateboard in town that my father made with a board and a pair of my skates because he had seen a news story about it being the newest craze in California... no helmet or knee/elbow pads. I still own it.
    Bunny555 and SugarMama like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post

I just bought some aluminum tumblers in bright colors from a catalogue sale. Today, both my husband and I thought we were in a time warp when we first took a drink from them. Amazing how something can take you back to another time just by a taste or a smell.
    In the summer, we would sit outside under a big shade tree and shell peas/beans. Our neighbor would help us and she would bring over a big pitcher of homemade lemonade. She would serve it in those aluminum tumblers and if your lips were dry, they would stick to the tumbler...ouch!. Of course we thought it was great fun and would do it on purpose.
    She had the first color TV and we would go to her house to watch Cinderella.

At dusk, they would drive around in big fog trucks and spray for mosquitoes. We would stand in our yard, wait for the trucks and then run from the fog.
    We walked/ rode our bikes to and from school, took shortcuts through the woods with no worries.
    Walked/ rode bikes to the park, public swimming pool, ball fields, tennis courts at night.
    Trick-or-Treated and never worried about what was in our candy.
    Made Tom walkers (stilts) out of 2x4's.
    Took our own Popcorn, in brown grocery bags, to the movie.
    ...sigh, what fun times we had with few worries...

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    At dusk, they would drive around in big fog trucks and spray for mosquitoes. We would stand in our yard, wait for the trucks and then run from the fog. ...
    We did that, too, in South Carolina!!!! Never gave it a second thought, and none of us have died from cancer (yet) or grown a third arm or anything like that

I remember everything you mentioned, how things have changed.

One great memory I had was going to the movies every Saturday. Saturday matinee was for kids, and there was always about a half-hour of cartoons, and then two or three horror movies (Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Return of Frankenstein, etc.) Some of my braver friends sat with a boy for the first time, even sneeked their first smooch. I was too scared It was $1 to get in, except one Saturday a month you just had to bring some canned goods for the poor to get in.

If there wasn't a good movie on, we'd spend the afternoon roller skating. Great times!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I also remember the music stores that had little rooms where you and your friends could go and listen to the newest 45 hit song or whatever you had requested to hear.
    I remember doing this with a bunch of my friends, walking the mile or so home from typing class that we all took that summer.....the summer between finishing 8th grade and entering high school. We all knew that we'd be going separate ways to other high schools, from our Catholic school where we had spent 8 years really knowing each other. I can still remember listening to "Tammy" by Debbie Reynolds.

I remember eating my school lunch out of a metal lunch box with a little thermos (no ice pack to keep that bologna on white bread with ketchup safe). But mostly we ate school cafeteria lunches. Always fish on Fridays because Catholics weren't allowed to eat meat. In 6th grade we could qualify for caf duty and take the money, serve the food, or clean the trays. Can you imagine that happening now? And this is really reaching back, but in kindergarten I remember going to the cafeteria with a little red wagon to get the GLASS milk bottles for our snack. It was on one of these milk runs that I got my first ever kiss from a boy - Jeff Bates kissed me on the neck/cheek area.
    Count your blessings!

I remember until about the 4th grade or so (for me), the milkman still came around and delivered milk in glass bottles, left them on the porch and picked up the used bottles.

A postage stamp was $.06 and my mother (who smoked) said that if a pack of cigarettes ever got up to $.25 a pack, she'd quit!

We wore those skates that fit over your shoes, with a key in the bottom to change sizes. If a kid had shown up on his bike with a helmet on, he'd probably have been beaten up. I survived all the way through high school with never having:

- worn a helmet, knee or elbow pads,
    - seen a playground built on anything other than dirt or grass,
    - seen or heard of an inhaler or knew anyone with asthma,
    - seen or hear of a diabetic kit or knew anyone with diabetes,
    - used hand sanitizer

I, too, went through middle school and only knew one kid whose parents were divorced, and almost everyone's mom stayed at home. We only had one car for years, and it was a big day when we got a second one! We always did our grocery shopping one day a week, and we went as a family (in the summertime, it was exciting to just cool off in the air-conditioning!), and my mom drove my dad to work on the days she needed the car. But it was great knowing that if I ever got sick, my mom could get me right away and she was always there when we got home from school - usually with cookies on hand, dinner cooking, and making sure we did our homework before going out to play. We only had one 19-inch black and white TV (standard back then), but I'll never forget the Christmas my grandparents gave me a 9-inch black and white TV of my very own for my bedroom - I felt so grown up, 11 years old! If I stuck a wire clothes hanger upside down in the antenna, I could pick up UHF - that gave me a total of 4 channels.

Shock Theater showed a scary movie every Saturday night at 11:00 - we kids couldn't wait to be scared on the only night we were allowed to stay up that late!
    Movies about mummies, creatures from outer space and black lagoons, vampires and werewolves. Don't remember any SEX, though - we didn't need to see that in order to enjoy a movie.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I remember all of these things, too! I had those "ball bearing" roller skates and remember my mom teaching me how to skate backwards on them. I played baseball and touch football with my brothers, but also spent hours playing paper dolls and Parcheesi on the porch with my girlfriends when it rained. Swimming was at a deep swimming hole in the crystal clear creek with no adults present, ever.

We cut our fingers to mingle our blood with our best friends' - becoming blood brothers or sisters. The milkman brought 55 quart bottles of milk to the back porch steps every week, and the cream was floating on the top. We would sometimes climb into the back of the breadman's truck to steal doughnuts. In fine warm weather we were not permitted in the house in the daytime except for meals. The only safety precaution dinned into our ears was never to accept a ride in a car - so I once walked home from school in a hurricane.

Listening to a ball game in the dark on the porch is still a favorite summer time thing for me. We'd sit in the porch swing as kids, the ice cubes in our sweet tea making hissing noises, and the theme song ("The Syncopated Clock") of the Late Late Show coming through the open windows from the family room at 11 p.m. We'd relish the fact we could be up so late, one of the freedoms summer brought.

It's odd how many of my memories are of summer things. Dixie Cup ice cream with photos of athletes and movie stars on the inside of the lids; hula hooping; burning "punks" to keep the mosquitos at bay; bug collecting. And no matter how much we groaned, we were more than ready for new school shoes, being in a new grade, and having somewhere we had to be every morning.

We had one divorced mom in our neighborhood and no one was allowed to play with her kids! I sometimes wonder at the various social cruelties practiced back then, too.

What about console stereos? Those 6-feet long rectangles that housed a radio (am AND fm), a turntable (er, record player) and in ours...drum roll... a new-fangled 8-track tape player! We were all so excited
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I remember those things, and don't miss most of them. I LOVE that I'm married, yet could choose to NOT procreate. That I have a university education and a job/freelance business I love. That I inherited a strong work ethic from BOTH of my parents. Really, I see myself as being stronger for NOT having had a traditional stay-at-home mom. Different strokes. I feel no nostalgia whatsoever for the "Mad Men" era.
    Rattus and KatesMom like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I remember those things, and don't miss most of them. I LOVE that I'm married, yet could choose to NOT procreate. That I have a university education and a job/freelance business I love. That I inherited a strong work ethic from BOTH of my parents. Really, I see myself as being stronger for NOT having had a traditional stay-at-home mom. Different strokes. I feel no nostalgia whatsoever for the "Mad Men" era.
    Agreed. And every time I hear someone yearning for yesteryear, I remember how women couldn't support themselves or their families if their man wasn't willing or able to, how people with any more pigmentation than your average northern european couldn't get jobs or, in certain regions, drink, eat or ride the bus with their paler brethren. I remember how a mouthful of teeth would be pulled rather and replaced with dentures rather than fixed. I remember how much worse the bike I used to ride was than the one I ride today. And I remember how the internet wasn't available to disburse all the "pervert" information available to every hysterical mommy who now thinks, of course, that every second man on the street is out to get their baby when in fact, there are no more "perverts" out there than there were when we were kids - we just hear about them more readily, and if kids all went out to play in groups like they did thirty, forty, fifty years ago, they would be able to look out for each other, just like they did then.
    Ellen, cablejockey and KatesMom like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread