+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Hated the fur helmet hat. Hated baby-dolls. My mom sewed matching dresses for my sister and me -- with matching triangle scarves. I appreciate the effort, but not so much the fashion. I hate wearing stuff on my head, so I took off the scarf as soon as I was out of mom's view.
    Pedal pushers. I still wear them, except now they're called "capris."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

When Mary Tyler Moore wore them on the old Dick Van Dyke Show they were called capris too. Maybe they were only called pedal pushers in the mid to late sixties. Or only when kids wore them.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I remember all of this too!
    If you grew up in the South, it was never cold enough to wear boots (only rubber rain boots), mittens, or fur-lined anything.
    If you did, you didn't sweat...you glowed!
    What about those pink sponge rollers , Dippity- Doo, pink tape and hair pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    When Mary Tyler Moore wore them on the old Dick Van Dyke Show they were called capris too. Maybe they were only called pedal pushers in the mid to late sixties. Or only when kids wore them.
    Or in the Midwest? (I grew up in Wisconsin.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I remember all of this too!
    If you grew up in the South, it was never cold enough to wear boots (only rubber rain boots), mittens, or fur-lined anything.
    If you did, you didn't sweat...you glowed!
    What about those pink sponge rollers , Dippity- Doo, pink tape and hair pins.
    I don't remember using the rollers etc., but I remember all of them being in the bathroom closet, so someone (my mom? maybe my older sisters?) using them.

Remember Mr. Bubble? Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific?

My mom wore what she called pedal pushers which appeared to me to be what are a looser version of capri slacks. As I recall Capri slacks were very form fitting.

Here is from wiki:

Pedal pushers are calf-length trousers that were popular during the 1950s[1] and have seen a resurgence in the 2010s. Often cuffed and worn tight to the skin, they are related in style to Capri pants, and are sometimes referred to as "clam diggers". The name "pedal pushers" originated from the style originally worn by cyclists, but the style quickly became identified with teenage girls.

They are the subject of "Pink Pedal Pushers", a song by Carl Perkins.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Gosh, I remember pedal pushers, capris and clam-diggers. Here in So Cal, they all were used to describe those pants.
    I think it makes a difference in what is a "fond" memory and what isn't. Again, in So Cal, no one had snow pants. I always loved the look of a yellow "slicker" and in my twenties bought one from Brooks Brothers, boys department (I'm small) and it lasted 30 years! I loved it but it never got much use out here so hence, no smell.

My first boots were white mid calf ones, approximately 1967 that went well with Nancy Sinatra's hit song, "These Boots were Meant for Walking." Nobody had rain boots.
    I still love saddle shoes...probably because in parochial school, most of the girls had them but for some reason, my mother never let me wear them. I have no recollection as to why but of course, that's why they're still appealing to me. Maybe because we weren't very well off financially. I remember how I had to cover my text books with brown paper bags while some of the kids used "oil cloth." Most people probably don't even know what oil cloth is.

I just bought some aluminum tumblers in bright colors from a catalogue sale. Today, both my husband and I thought we were in a time warp when we first took a drink from them. Amazing how something can take you back to another time just by a taste or a smell.

Gosh, this one makes me tear up a bit...silly, sentimental me:

My friends and brothers and I were able to walk nearly two miles to school without any fear...as long as we minded traffic, we were safe.

We had a blast. We told gross jokes we'd heard in the day. We talked about what we wanted to be when we grew up. We laughed at what the mean girls or the jocks did that day. We were so free on those walks from school to home.

Never did we fear abduction. Or being shot or harmed. That wasn't in our world.

Those are some of the happiest times of my memories of school...walking or biking to/from school (the best ones for me were the ones in the rain!)
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Gosh, I remember pedal pushers, capris and clam-diggers. Here in So Cal, they all were used to describe those pants.
    I think it makes a difference in what is a "fond" memory and what isn't. Again, in So Cal, no one had snow pants. I always loved the look of a yellow "slicker" and in my twenties bought one from Brooks Brothers, boys department (I'm small) and it lasted 30 years! I loved it but it never got much use out here so hence, no smell.

My first boots were white mid calf ones, approximately 1967 that went well with Nancy Sinatra's hit song, "These Boots were Meant for Walking." Nobody had rain boots.
    I still love saddle shoes...probably because in parochial school, most of the girls had them but for some reason, my mother never let me wear them. I have no recollection as to why but of course, that's why they're still appealing to me. Maybe because we weren't very well off financially. I remember how I had to cover my text books with brown paper bags while some of the kids used "oil cloth." Most people probably don't even know what oil cloth is.

I just bought some aluminum tumblers in bright colors from a catalogue sale. Today, both my husband and I thought we were in a time warp when we first took a drink from them. Amazing how something can take you back to another time just by a taste or a smell.
    Argh! Go-Go boots! I remember getting mine, too....yeah, baby! just below mid-calf! I begged my mom for some, and they were a Christmas present!

I lived in South Carolina, and the grocery stores at the start of the school year had their paper bags (the only thing offered then) marked with lines to cut and fold to make book covers.....I'd forgotten that one, thanks! Cool memory.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

HAHA....who remember THIS?

The first at-home hair dryer? It was a box with hose similar to a clothes dryer, only smaller, attached to a gigantic hair bonnet (to accompany the large rollers).

It was an amazing innovation at the time! No longer did a lady/girl have to wait 8 hours for her hair to dry on the curlers or go to the beauty shop and have her hair done. She could roll her hair at home, plug in this box, place the bonnet over her curlers, turn on the switch, and...within an hour or so have perfectly set hair! Not including hair spray, of course.

I remember it was such a grand invention! And later came the "hand-held hair dryer"....the rest is history

+ Reply to Thread