+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

I must add that I was through putting up with other people's crap and feeling sorry for them that they didn't know/weren't where I was in their lives! I could look at them and see that they weren't really comfortable within their own skin. Did I feel a little superior and grateful not to be where they were? Hell-to-the-Yes!!!
    AZChristian likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I went out this morning, because I belong to a group that was doing a brunch/ornament exchange, but then I came home and stayed home. I might have gone out again, had even sort of planned to do so, but since it was 16 below, I decided I could figure out plenty to do on my own at home instead. And if it's this cold tomorrow, I'm going to the earliest Christmas Eve service I can get to, so that I'm not out at night when the cold is the worst, especially when since there's a wind chill warning in effect for tomorrow (the sixteen below this morning was without wind).
    WHAT! I won't leave the house if it's in the 40's! Above! I don't know how you Snow People do it! We got a great deal on a timeshare exchange last year in November at a resort in Northshore Lake Tahoe. It wasn't snowing but there was snow all over the place. We only left the resort to go to Safeway down the street to get food and Redbox movies. Instead of staying the full week we came home after 4 days of suffering. When I see news reports of gigantic blizzards hitting Canada and the northeast US I come here to The Fort expecting to see a thread labeled "Oh, My God! It's Blizzarding outside!" But no one mentions the weather! I guess you all get used to it? It's not like I don't have 'snow genes', my grandparents came from Denmark and my dad was born in Winnipeg. But I don't know if I could ever acclimate myself to freezing temperatures. (Or Arizona type heat, AZ!) I'm just staying here in my little fog zone. :>)
    Ellen and AZChristian like this.

We are not sissies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I don't think it's been an age for me, unless it's still coming, so much as just a general falling away of things I used to waste time being concerned about that I just find myself caring less and less about as time goes on.
    By the way, Tilden, if that particular, joyous transition had happened....you would know it, without a doubt! Sounds like you have not "crossed over" yet.
    Punkin and law638 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    WHAT! I won't leave the house if it's in the 40's! Above! I don't know how you Snow People do it! We got a great deal on a timeshare exchange last year in November at a resort in Northshore Lake Tahoe. It wasn't snowing but there was snow all over the place. We only left the resort to go to Safeway down the street to get food and Redbox movies. Instead of staying the full week we came home after 4 days of suffering. When I see news reports of gigantic blizzards hitting Canada and the northeast US I come here to The Fort expecting to see a thread labeled "Oh, My God! It's Blizzarding outside!" But no one mentions the weather! I guess you all get used to it? It's not like I don't have 'snow genes', my grandparents came from Denmark and my dad was born in Winnipeg. But I don't know if I could ever acclimate myself to freezing temperatures. (Or Arizona type heat, AZ!) I'm just staying here in my little fog zone. :>)

I lived the first 28 years of my life in Wisconsin and never got used to it. Hated playing in the snow, even as a kid. Counted the months until Memorial Day, when I helped Dad take the cover off the pool and do all that was required to make it suitable for swimming. When I moved to San Diego, friends and family told me that I'd miss winter and the snow and ice. Miss something I didn't like in the first place? Yeah, still not missing it. I love that I own neither parka nor mittens nor snow boots.
    And as one who has become a human barometer, I'm really glad that I escaped when I did.
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    It's very freeing. A friend had told me that there was just "something" about turning 40 and, for me, she was 100% correct. It was like somebody flipped on a light switch!

Ladies (and gentlemen), what age was it for you?
    50... I'm a late bloomer I had too much baggage in my 40's
    Lizard likes this.

I don't think it matters when it happens for you, so long as it happens and you know it! We're all set at different speeds!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    It was worse this morning--we had a wind chill factor as well, plus it snowed in the afternoon. But it's supposed to be up to at least the 20s by the weekend. As someone pointed out to me on Monday, if it's sixteen below, and you keep your house at 65, the temperature effectively drops eighty-one degrees for you as soon as you step outside.

We don't start blizzard threads, because you'd get bored with how common they could end up being. Actually the most hideous weather we've had in a while was last April--huge ice storm followed by snow. I lost power from Tuesday afternoon until Saturday noon. Fortunately, friends of mine lost power for all of three hours and they took me in from Wednesday night until Saturday. And we still went out for lunch on Thursday while the power was out. The city lost hundreds of trees and countless branches, and one poor guy had a buzzard drop dead out of the sky onto his roof. Another one landed on the porch, but that one managed to revive itself and flew off on its own. Hawks went down in a couple of places too, because apparently their wings iced over and they lost altitude. The local animal control caught them, put them in dog carriers until they thawed, and then let them go again. I personally saw a songbird attempt to land on a branch and slide right off it because it had such a thick covering of ice (the bird wasn't hurt--just enormously surprised). The squirrel that slid down a tree trunk directly on top of a friend's lab/retriever mix and Westie wasn't so lucky.

That was actually harder to live through--and much more expensive (cost me over a $1000 to remove tree debris and repair a fence the tree branches fell on) than the two feet we got on Christmas Eve in 2008. First time I'd ever heard churches postponing Christmas services, but they had to--the roads weren't safe and the only way to make sure everyone kept off them was to cancel the services, and the police and highway patrol were practically begging people to stay home so that the plows could keep going continuously to try and keep some kind of path open for emergency vehicles.

Not that any of that has to do with aging, except that you get more weather stories to tell the longer you live.
    Punkin likes this.

I was looking at Christmas party pictures...people's clothes and jewelry. My most favorite look was in the 90s i wore a body suit with flowy pants I made.

(These days fabric stores do not seem to have much fabric, mostly quilting stuff).

If i had those arms again, i would wear that to feel like a princess..
    You can do it!

When our Walmart expanded recently, they started carrying fabric again. Otherwise, Joann Fabrics seems to have the corner on the market around here... but they have a huge variety. Have you ever been to a Chinatown silk store? Mmmmm....
    We made all of our own clothes in our teens, now it's cheaper to buy off rack. Fabric and notions and patterns have gotten so expensive!!
    Punkin and justCoz like this.
    Count your blessings!

When I was little my mother made almost all of our clothes, because it was cheaper. In my teens I started buying more of my clothes, but she still made some. Now that she quit sewing I wish I could have her make my pants again. RTW clothes are hard for me to wear. I think the fit models they use is a weird proportion though, because I hear a lot of people complain about that. Nothing ever fit as perfectly as when she made it.

About the only thing to make now that is still cheaper to hand-make is fancy dresses. My daughter made her prom dress for under $50. I saw some at the stores for a couple of hundred dollars.

Oh, she also made herself a jacket/coat with asymetrical lines, including a hood, and I'm pretty sure it was far cheaper than if she bought it off the rack. She even made her own pattern!

+ Reply to Thread