Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Exactly!
    You can do it!

FORT Fogey

I had a much younger person react with a kind of horror when I admitted there are some days where I'm more than happy not to leave the house, period. She literally thought that was abnormal. I assured her I was not a hermit, but I couldn't believe she didn't get that it can be quite relaxing to be home alone for the day, getting a bunch of things accomplished if that was what I wanted to do or just relaxing, if that was my wish. I guess it never occurred to her that there are any number of things one can do for a day that don't involve someone else--play piano, try out a new recipe, work on crafts, read, watch that DVD you keep meaning to get to, or just take a nice, long nap to make up for the sleep you've lost during the work week. Or just luxuriate in the fact that for one 24 hour period, you don't have to deal with the demands of others and can do exactly as you like.
    Punkin, prhoshay, waywyrd and 3 others like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm retired and can set my own schedule. There are days when I tell my husband, "I'm taking tomorrow off." He knows that that means that I'll be doing ONLY the things I want to do - reading, napping, etc. Even extroverts appreciate a little time alone once in a while!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think the young person's immaturity is showing. Some people think that they always have to be "doing" something so that they won't seem pathetic to others. I think it takes maturity to come to understand that you are entitled to do exactly what you want. And, in another vein, who cares what she thinks?? There is nothing more blissful than learning to enjoy being alone with yourself. I am the most enjoyable person I know!!
    Punkin, Lizard, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Isn't it nice to finally not give a toot as to what other people think or do. Age has given me that blessing.
    Punkin, prhoshay, Ellen and 4 others like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It's very freeing. A friend had told me that there was just "something" about turning 40 and, for me, she was 100% correct. It was like somebody flipped on a light switch!

Ladies (and gentlemen), what age was it for you?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    It's very freeing. A friend had told me that there was just "something" about turning 40 and, for me, she was 100% correct. It was like somebody flipped on a light switch!

For me, it was 40.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I think it was 48 (menopause).
    You can do it!

FORT Fogey

Oh, I didn't care what the younger person thought--I think one of the more freeing thing about becoming older is that you don't care as much about what everyone thinks and concentrate only on the opinions of those whose opinions you actually value. I was even vaguely amused that she seemed to think it was indicative of some kind of emotional/mental aberration that I could happily anticipate a free day spent alone. If I couldn't leave the house or was afraid to leave the house, that would be one thing, but as long as it's a choice on my part, and not the only choice I ever make, I thought it was amazing that she would even be concerned about it.

I went out this morning, because I belong to a group that was doing a brunch/ornament exchange, but then I came home and stayed home. I might have gone out again, had even sort of planned to do so, but since it was 16 below, I decided I could figure out plenty to do on my own at home instead. And if it's this cold tomorrow, I'm going to the earliest Christmas Eve service I can get to, so that I'm not out at night when the cold is the worst, especially when since there's a wind chill warning in effect for tomorrow (the sixteen below this morning was without wind).
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post

I don't think it's been an age for me, unless it's still coming, so much as just a general falling away of things I used to waste time being concerned about that I just find myself caring less and less about as time goes on.

+ Reply to Thread