+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

When I was in elementary school in the '60's, we girls couldn't wear pants/shorts to school. That was a problem for those of who loved running, racing, and tripping the monkey bar fastastic! Eventually they let us wear shorts UNDER our dresses Now that seems so awkward, but we sure did appreciate it! No boys sneaking peaks, no sir!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

FORT Fogey

Yesterday, a younger colleague was wearing pants under a dress (and I know it was a dress, not a tunic, because I own the same dress in a different color--and now I don't really want to wear it to work, even though it's new). She does that a lot, and all I can ever think is, "Honey, if you ever had to deal with 'snow pants' as a child, you'd never want to dress like that." For those of you raised in southern climes, snow pants were what girls had to wear to walk back and forth to school and on the playground in the winter under their dresses, so they wouldn't freeze to death doing those things. I always thought they looked and felt clunky.

Hated the smell of those yellow rubber rain coats everyone had in spring too. Not to mention the nasty elastic bands that attached Easter hats to little girls heads, leaving red marks on their necks in the process.

On the other hand, now that I have an incline driveway, I think those artic tread things you can attach to your boots are a fabulous idea, no matter how bad they look (though I do take them off as soon as I get inside).

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    ...Hated the smell of those yellow rubber rain coats everyone had in spring too. Not to mention the nasty elastic bands that attached Easter hats to little girls heads, leaving red marks on their necks in the process...
    I had a rubber (or was it plastic? ) rain coat, and I'd forgotten the smell until you mentioned it. Mine was a fabric covered by plastic all over. You could hear me walking from one end of the hallway at school to the other. And, living in the South, the rains were often warm, so sometimes I'd actually be sweating on the inside -- never thought about it, but I was getting wet anyway
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

FORT Fogey

I grew up in Minnesota, and those awful yellow rain jackets were too hot there in spring rains--and the heat only made them smell worse. I have no idea why so many of them sold when they were a perfectly dreadful idea. Perhaps because the parents weren't wearing them or couldn't remember wearing them, so they seemed reasonable to the moms and dads buying them.

I hated those things. and the old buckle boots. ICK!!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

Didn't have the ugly buckle boots, but I remember them.

I do remember fondly a pair of white boots I had when I was about seven, though now that I think about it, white boots for little girls seem wildly inappropriate, as they were bound to get dirty so easily (except in the snow, which I guess is where I wore them most of the time).

OMG -- buckle boots and snow pants! Haven't thought of those in years. I think I've just been re-traumatized...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

A few weeks before I started 1st grade my mom got me one of those classic macintosh raincoats with the foldover brass buckles, and a matching nor'easter rainhat (the kind the fisherman on the Groton box wears) in powder blue. They hung on the outside of my bedroom closet door to remind me that, soon, I'd be walking to school with the big kids even in the pouring rain. I couldn't wait! Hahaha, silly me. I hated school and hated those rainy, chilly walks with my brothers yelling at me to keep up.

But I do clearly recall impatiently waiting to wear that big girl foul weather gear. Thanks for bringing that back to me. )

FORT Fogey

Further childhood clothing memories:

1)Those odd fake fur helmet-shaped hats that tied around your neck--the ones where the ties ended in additional balls of fake fur.
    2)pedal pushers
    3)triangle scarves
    4)Mother-Daughter dresses
    5)saddle shoes
    6)anklets with little lacy tops for church and other high-toned occasions
    7)Keds high-top tennis shoes
    8)baby doll pajamas
    9)tie-dyed anything
    10)leisure suits (not that I wore one--but I remember them)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Further childhood clothing memories:

1)Those odd fake fur helmet-shaped hats that tied around your neck--the ones where the ties ended in additional balls of fake fur.
    2)pedal pushers
    3)triangle scarves
    4)Mother-Daughter dresses
    5)saddle shoes
    6)anklets with little lacy tops for church and other high-toned occasions
    7)Keds high-top tennis shoes
    8)baby doll pajamas
    9)tie-dyed anything
    10)leisure suits (not that I wore one--but I remember them)
    !. Never had the fur helmet hat that tied under the chin, but I really really wanted one.
    2. My favorite pedal pushers were red with white piping.
    3. Only had square handkerchief sized scarves, mostly in paisley
    4. Was spared the mother-daughter dresses, but did have matching dresses with my 3 younger sisters. By 8th grade I started hiding them from my mom.
    5. Wore saddle shoes for 12 years of parochial school.
    6. Never had lace aklets after pre-school.
    7. Had pink Keds hightops
    8. Still wear baby dolls!
    9. Learned to tie-dye, then learned the art of batik dying and textile design
    10. My dad embraced leisure suits like a life line! He must have owned 6 of them.

+ Reply to Thread