+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

I am in heaven if people are not judging me or using me. Soooo I do not comb my hair; and you get what you get. .
    Last edited by Lizard; 12-14-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    You can do it!

I, too, hate what's happened to my neck as I've aged. The only thing I've found so far to help is turtlenecks!!
    I should check if those laser procedures help that because I really don't want to undergo any cutting either.
    Also, I don't mind the wrinkles so much either but I really dislike the crepe-paper thing going on with my arms. And I can forget showing any clevage anymore because that area has the same look....but oh, I did enjoy laying out in the sun in Hawaii on those lazy vacation days and now I pay for it.
    C'est la vie.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    I am in heaven if people are not judging me or using me. Soooo I do not comb my hair; and you get what you get. .
    I live in the second windiest state in the nation. Comb your hair, don't comb your hair--unless you're willing to spend half your yearly income on hairspray, the moment you step outside, it's not going to matter much anymore anyway.

But since everyone's always having a bad hair day due to circumstances beyond their control, it gives a person permission not to care, which is quite liberating.
    nennie, Poppy Fields and SugarMama like this.

My arms that have for decades been thin are getting a little pudgy. It is like the fat relocated itself from my pear ass to my upper arms. Plus and minus. Very weird.... I know. I have not been exercising.

Fat rehoming itself. So weird.
    You can do it!

I was shopping the sales with my college-age daughter yesterday. At Urban Outfitters I was sitting outside her dressing room when a young man came in to try on a t-shirt. It was white with a black graphic of a woman sitting on a toilet with her panties around her ankles, lighting up a cigarette with dark lipstick. I officially became a judgemental old lady wondering what's wrong with kids these days? I can't imagine anyone anywhere wearing a shirt like that when I was her age. Admittedly, I did have one outrageous shirt that said, "F&@k art, let's dance", but it made sense to me as an art major. Sometimes people got too overly serious about art. And I wouldn't have worn it anywhere that I was likely to run into adults.*sigh*
    Count your blessings!

I love assembling an assortment of baby gifts. In the assortment I want to put Cloth diapers. The only people rating cloth diapers in the reviews at walmt are over age 50. I am 46. I think it's good to have cloth diapers to be prepared. You'd think all the green people would be pushing for it. You have to do lots of laundry if you have a baby anyway.....my logic will probably be lost to the young ones.
    You can do it!

I used cloth diapers and disposable, both. Cloth just doesn't cut it if you're travelling into town or overnight. If they don't want to use them as diapers, they make great burping cloths or general cleaning cloths.
    Count your blessings!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I live in the second windiest state in the nation. Comb your hair, don't comb your hair--unless you're willing to spend half your yearly income on hairspray, the moment you step outside, it's not going to matter much anymore anyway.

But since everyone's always having a bad hair day due to circumstances beyond their control, it gives a person permission not to care, which is quite liberating.
    I'm glad you mentioned it, because we could also say that aging is like a windy day... from scanty brows to elephant knees to grey hair to vultureneck, we are ALL experiencing it, and personally, I see no reason to fight it.

I don't know where I read this, maybe it was even by someone here, but when it comes to aging, I take this line to heart:
    I do not envy the young their youth, for I have lived those years.

I had my twenties, my thirties and now, in my forties, I plan to enjoy them just as much as I'm able. I don't care if I have some extra crow's feet.... I had a lot of FUN on the beach when I was a teen... I wouldn't take that back, and I can't anyway, so I look on them fondly without wishing that many years ago I wore a hat or better sunscreen. I don't care if guys don't whistle or honk anymore, they did when the time was right (and yeah, I liked it) but it's simply not that time of my life anymore. I had it... it's someone's elses turn, and I hope they enjoy it.

I actually disagree with Dylan Thomas, I expect to go gentle into that good night... (and I pray I'm old and REALLY pruned up when I do) because I'll have had it all. By all, I mean, not fame, certainly not money, not a perfect life by any stretch, just a good ol average life. It's actually pretty great.

When I'm sixty, I could look back and say, hey, remember when we were forty and the kids were growing up and so darn interesting and involved and we could go to their school plays and soccer games and the hilarious parties they had? And when I'm eighty, I'm sure I could look back and say, wow, sixty was great, kids were living their own lives and we could travel and see the world together.
    I'm forty now, and I'm going to enjoy it for what it offers. Cause my sixty year old me will supposed to be jealous of the forty year old me someday.

All of that said, I can't say I don't get twinges about the extra lines and grey hairs. But whatever. Just because we've been told over and over we aren't supposed to enjoy getting older, well, it doesn't mean we have to buy it. Edited to add: Just as the title of this thread says, we get better, wrinkles and all.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 01-02-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Cornholio likes this.

Yep I earned everyone of those lines and wrinkles. You can't stop aging and I don't feel the need to try. Gonna live with the face God gave me and and enjoy life.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I'm in my mid-50s and am really enjoying the heck out of this time of my life. My kids are grown, but still come back home to visit, I don't answer to anyone outside of work. I'm financially stable enough to afford fun splurges and healthy food. I can read, exercise, and sleep when I want. Life is good.
    lopevian and nennie like this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread