+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlady
    I do a 'full' makeup thing in the morning and then never look in the mirror again until night, when it all comes off. By full makeup, I mean I do it all but still can achieve a natural look that takes more work to achieve than looking like I'm all made up.
    Me, too! I don't have time to fuss with my face more than once a day. I find that I wear less makeup now, but I choose brighter colors for contrast. I only use eyeshadow as liner now, though.

I have started wearing eyeliner. In 20s and 30s, I felt it was not a clean look. But now I think it makes me look nice.
    You can do it!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

If you use a pencil for liner you can smudge it a bit...has the effect of outlining without being so obviously made up.

BUT the theme of the thread was getting older, getting better, not how to look younger... I think we are straying (and yes, I take my share of the blame). I, too, would not like the emotions I had when I was young again. I went to a high school reunion after 30 years or so, and was tossed right back into that maelstrom...literally found myself in the bathroom obsessing over a zit! Much prefer being older and calmer. The aches I could do without, but would not trade them for a young body if it came with the same drama.

I dunno, for me, part of "getting older, getting better" has to do with getting better at extending what's left of my youthful good looks through skillful hair and makeup techniques, skincare, etc. It's a fine art form that develops with age maturity.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I dunno, for me, part of "getting older, getting better" has to do with getting better at extending what's left of my youthful good looks through skillful hair and makeup techniques, skincare, etc. It's a fine art form that develops with age maturity.
    Absolutely right and it takes a lot more work and time to do it. Mother Nature was just not very kind to women as they age. Men, on the other hand, seem to improve with age.
    It may be more of a battle to stay looking good but I'll go to my grave, still fighting what time has wrought. If I'm feeling bad and the paramedics are present, I'll ask them to wait while I put a little more blush on. (just kidding )

I think men and women have the same grace in the aging department.

Exactly what you said, we do not want to relive the drama (pain). And a lot of the drama has dissipated.

I have aged ok. I think I may have had more appearance concerns in my 30s. My concerns have focused on health in my 40s...and I do not want anything to happen to mother (pure love).

And emotionally the better I know me, the better I feel, the more I can verbally help other people, and I feel even more warmer.....when I heal others I heal myself
    Last edited by Lizard; 12-11-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    You can do it!

Little Girl: Oh look, Gramma, your pantyhose are all baggy in the knees!

Gramma: Really, dear? I'll have to fix that (to herself, "dammit, wish I were wearing pantyhose." )
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    BUT the theme of the thread was getting older, getting better, not how to look younger... I think we are straying (and yes, I take my share of the blame).
    You're right and I'm to blame also. We probably need a thread on not necessarily how to look younger but how to look good while aging.
    Just like the problem I have with a lot of plastic surgery procedures. People don't often look younger after surgery but just minus wrinkles, sags, etc. and sometimes that just results in an odd look. I think maybe that happens when people get too much done. A little nip and tuck probably is best if you decide to go that route. At the moment, I don't think I will have anything done surgically. Although I am interested in some of the laser treatments that are supposed to "firm up" certain areas. That intrigues me but probably not enough that I've actually done much research regarding these procedures. And maybe by the time, I am interested, it might be too late.
    Don't know but I do know I'm not interested in the cutting part.

The sad part of most of the plastic surgery procedures they have to be redone after awhile so I know it is a never ending process. I will just have to age somewhat gracefully. The only thing I would ever want done is the neck area tightened and don't like the going under the knife well enough to do that.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

As I get older, I don't mind the wrinkles or age spots-....I mind the puffiness under my eyes!

+ Reply to Thread