+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree184Likes

Thread: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Re: Aging - As the Violin, the Wine, & the Silver - We Get Better

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Speaking of shoes, my favorites were saddle oxfords. They were hard (I think I might have cracked a mean boy's shin in 2nd grade with those suckers!) but they were so comfortable (once they were broken in). I loved them as a little girl and again in junior high as a cheerleader.

Moccasins, oh yeah! During the Indian/fringe phase. I had a leather (suede) fringe jacket, shoulder bag, and my moccasins. Ponchos were introduced around the same time, Indian beads, and headbands (worn around the head, not over the head). I'm thinking late '60s-early 70's, does that sound right?

I also remember when mood rings and pet rocks were "must haves", along with buffalo sandals and velvet psychodelic blacklight posters (I think it's funny now to see kids go on about blacklights, as if they had invented them ).
    Saddle oxfords? OH YEAH! First, they were strictly black and white, HARD like you've said. THEN they introduced tan-suede-and-brown ones, with kinda reddish, terracotta-colored soles. Then, I can remember them introducing them in a white-and-another-color scheme. For example, my high school colors were royal blue and white, and our cheerleaders wore royal blue and white saddle oxfords.

Moccasins, uh-huh! Had several pairs of those, and again, wore EVERY LAST ONE OF THOSE PAIRS until they'd fallen apart (literally!). Didn't have a service for any of 'em, though; I was over that by then!

Don't remember having a poncho myself, but I do recall that my cousin had one and wore it religiously. Did the Indian beads, but NOT the Pocohontas headbands, and your time frame of late 60s-early 70s IS right on those.

Mood rings? Yep. Had one. In . . . '71 or thereabouts, if I'm remembering correctly. I almost fell over in the crafts store in shock the other day when I was browsing the beads and discovered that they now have MOOD BEADS! Yep, I picked them up and held them. Yep, they DID change color!

I can't WAIT 'til I can think of something I'd like to make with those!

Pet rocks and buffalo sandals? Remember BOTH of those! The velvet posters and blacklights? Remember those, too! They were ALWAYS a hit at house parties in the basement of somebody's parents' house, back in my day.

It IS funny to see kids going on about what they think THEIR generation discovered!

I recall that when the mini skirt made a comeback, I was working at an all-female college. I'd see the little ladies strutting and prancing around campus and posing in their "mini" skirts (back in the day, ours were actually SHORTER than what they were wearing when I worked at that college!).

For the longest time, I didn't say anything. FINALLY (I guess the devil was sitting on my shoulder, that day!), one little lady strutted into the office and proceeded to preen and pose in her little skirt as she told me what it was that she wanted.

I helped her out, then complimented her outfit. She preened some more, until I delivered a reality check:

"It's SO nice to see how things come back! We wore those 20, 25 years ago, too!"

The preening and posing stopped.

The face fell. The mouth dropped open in a little "O" of dismay.

The little lady glumly thanked me for my help and dismally walked out of the office, head bowed and buried between her upraised shoulderblades . . .

Lord KNOWS, I didn't WANT to burst anybody's bubble, but that day, I SWEAR the devil himself had settled in for a ringside seat on my shoulder, WITH a bag of buttered popcorn!

Anybody remember Nehru collars on dresses, blouses and shirts?
    Last edited by ness; 10-13-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Nehru collars make me think of the Monkees. I'm sure Davy Jones sported one on a couple of their shows. Oh, and Laugh In always had somebody in a Nehru jacket.

I have a pair of Minnetonka Moccasins in my closet right now, but they're more like a driving moccasin. In other words, they look more like a shoe. I loved moccasins, though. I even had a tiny pair (still have them) that I must have worn when I was about a year old. I also have quite a bit of Native American jewelry, but it's the real deal, bought directly from the artists, and while some of it is more traditional, some of it is much more contemporary in nature.

I had a white knit poncho that I believe was a gift from an aunt and uncle, as well as one my mother crocheted for me. She did the crocheted vests that were popular in the sixties and seventies too.

How about clogs? Earth shoes? High tops? Go go boots?
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Nehru collars make me think of the Monkees. I'm sure Davy Jones sported one on a couple of their shows. Oh, and Laugh In always had somebody in a Nehru jacket.

I have a pair of Minnetonka Moccasins in my closet right now, but they're more like a driving moccasin. In other words, they look more like a shoe. I loved moccasins, though. I even had a tiny pair (still have them) that I must have worn when I was about a year old. I also have quite a bit of Native American jewelry, but it's the real deal, bought directly from the artists, and while some of it is more traditional, some of it is much more contemporary in nature.

I had a white knit poncho that I believe was a gift from an aunt and uncle, as well as one my mother crocheted for me. She did the crocheted vests that were popular in the sixties and seventies too.

How about clogs? Earth shoes? High tops? Go go boots?
    Clogs? Earth shoes? Yep. I remember when Earth shoes first came out, people were falling over backwards because they hadn't gotten their center of gravity right because the heels sat down low in those things. Until you learned to adjust, you either better have a bed, sofa, or SOMETHING soft to fall back on/into, or somebody you trusted to catch you! High tops? Yep. Remember those. Go-go boots? Yep. Had some.

Remember Shindig and Hullabaloo?
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Moccasins are out???
    I didn't know that. Last winter I bought a pair of pink soft leather ones (Minnetonka) and wear them with jeans or casual things. I also have a pair of old white ones that I wear around the house (because they're so beat up but soooo comfy).
    I also bought a pair of black fringe ones that I wore with leggings. I saw them in Nordstrom's (my favorite store) and figured, why not? Very comfortable but I got mine on sale at Minnetonka...lower price than Nordy's).

Gutmutter, I understand what you're saying ...but I think we can be both....kind, compassionate, etc and look good (for our age). And I know it sounds very shallow and that's why I hesitated to even write my inital post re aging.

I guess I don't mind drawing attention for how I look (or more accurately, "looked").
    What I was trying to say was: I'm in a period of adjustment.... I know what is past and what is in store for me and I want to handle it graciously and as with everything else, do my best. I want to be a classy old broad who looks as good as she can as she ages. I want to stay as sharp and focused as well as possible as I age. And I want to continue to improve in being kind and accepting of others....as I age. And wear pearls with my (knock-off) Chanel tweed suit.

To me, Dylan Thomas' poem,
    "Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

meant don't just give up and give in but continue to live to the fullest as long as you can.
    So I'm "raging" against my wrinkles, droops and sags with magic potions on my skin and moccasins on my feet.

FORT Fogey

I think moccasins being in or out depends on your location. If you're in a place that's a Minnetonka Moccasins stronghold, you're gonna see moccasins. What I would personally feel is out--and a little awkward--is the sort of head to toe ersatz Native American look worn by someone who isn't Native American. You know, the headband, fringed leather everything look, especially when none of it is authentic. A pair of moccasins or an occasional piece of Native made jewelry is one thing. Walking around looking like you just walked out of the Song of Hiawatha is quite another.

And yeah, I know Minnetonka Moccasins aren't exactly authentic, but if I owned a pair of traditionally made, well beaded moccasins, I'd never wear them, because I'd regard them more as art (especially at the price I'd have to pay for them), and besides, I'm not Lakota or Chippewa or whatever, and even they don't wear them much, as least not around here, unless they're at a powwow or something like that. Besides, the MMs I own look more like loafers or driving moccasins than regular moccasins anyway.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

A little contribution on the disapearing eyebrows thing--I've really noticed mine change in part because some home ec teacher once told us that the perfect eyebrow should end at a point that could be identified by placing a pencil on your face so that it ran from the bottom of your nostril to the outer edge of your eye and beyond. and where it intersected the eyebrow line was where the eyebrow should end...and mine did exactly, so in some deep part I was always vain about my eyebrows...never plucked them ... at my most heavily made up put a little Vaseline on them to make them shiny. Sad, I know, who is vain about their eyebrows? But I wore glasses then, so my eyes were kind of hidden and the eyebrows helped.
    And then one day.... Apparently it's called Queen Anne's Sign.... the gradual disappearance of the far end of the eyebrow. It can mean you've got some dire disease...thyroid I think...or that you are getting old. I don't think I'm sick. And then some hairs started coming in white and even some of the brown ones were "wild". I would have plucked them but I was scared of having even balder eyebrows so I would trim them back. One day I tried the powder mentioned above, and voila! eyebrows again. I now use a bit of mascara (one of the simple kinds, not the kind that gives you a false eyelash effect or curls your eyelashes) on them to cover the white after I've brushed on some powder. Let it set, Wipe it off with a Kleenex to get any excess, and do the powder again. The overall effect is really pretty natural.
    And I remember ALL the things everyone mentions (let's not forget catching fireflies..., going door to door selling cookies), from one point of my life or another. I even spent a summer in a cabin where you had to prime the pump to get water (but at least it was indoors at the sink), and my job was to trim the wicks every morning from last night's kerosine lamps. That must make me older than everyone! Or with a better memory for the past.
    I do agree things are better for women and minorities now...but as a child I never wondered why no black kids went to my school...I didn't even know there were any black kids somehow...only saw the occasional grown up. I had no idea I couldn't get credit on my own until a very early "credit card" I had at our school bookstore got cut up when I went in to change the name on it after my marriage. I didn't know all birth control was illegal in my state until I needed it. Etc. So part of the joy of childhood was living a comfortable, middle class, 2 parent, white existence, but I didn't know that...just thought it was the way it was for all, and it was great. Spent hours playing Tarzan and Jane with neighbor kids in the woods, swinging from vines across a tiny creek and climbing trees. Ignorance really was bliss, but as a grown up, I'm glad to no longer be ignorant.
    prhoshay likes this.

I often forget about my eyebrows and yet, when I do remember and fill them in, it looks so much better!
    I don't have the missing far ends of the eyebrows but have little bald spots in the middle. Odd, huh?
    I once tried the permanent makeup thing on them...and at first, they were so dark and prominent that they scared me. Then they scab over...always a lovely look and after the scabs fall off, they faded and looked pretty good. Problem is they kept fading until none was left.
    Not going that route again though.
    MAC makes a nice little felt tip pen thingy that looks pretty good after some practice so I just use that to fill in the bald spots and it's even easier than the powder thing.
    I do a 'full' makeup thing in the morning and then never look in the mirror again until night, when it all comes off. By full makeup, I mean I do it all but still can achieve a natural look that takes more work to achieve than looking like I'm all made up.
    Poppy Fields likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I often forget about my eyebrows and yet, when I do remember and fill them in, it looks so much better!
    I don't have the missing far ends of the eyebrows but have little bald spots in the middle. Odd, huh?
    I once tried the permanent makeup thing on them...and at first, they were so dark and prominent that they scared me. Then they scab over...always a lovely look and after the scabs fall off, they faded and looked pretty good. Problem is they kept fading until none was left.
    Not going that route again though.
    MAC makes a nice little felt tip pen thingy that looks pretty good after some practice so I just use that to fill in the bald spots and it's even easier than the powder thing.
    I do a 'full' makeup thing in the morning and then never look in the mirror again until night, when it all comes off. By full makeup, I mean I do it all but still can achieve a natural look that takes more work to achieve than looking like I'm all made up.
    Ditto!!

I had go-go boots...loved them. Remember wearing them at college, with the required mini skirt. Then Nancy Sinatra came out with "These Boots are Made for Walking" and fortunately, or unfortunately, we sorta looked alike at the time, so every time I wore them, I had to hear someone start singing the song.
    I'm not complaining...I loved the attention...would love to have the 20 year old body again....but wouldn't trade my old body for my 20 year old brain!
    spockwhat likes this.

Wisdom gives us peace. And if others do not recognize our beauty or brilliance, that really might be others problem. They would probably have difficulty recognizing their own worth. Could I have written this truth at 25 or 30? Nope. So thank you years.......you can read it but you must experience it to know it
    Last edited by Lizard; 12-08-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    prhoshay and inthegarden like this.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread