Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving/rental assistance - input welcome

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Re: Moving/rental assistance - input welcome

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    No, but in their finalized papers there will be a date that the asset has to be sold by. There's no way any lawyer would just pass over a big asset like property.
    Considering the poor state of real estate here in Michigan, how can they possibly put a set date that's so short ("this summer")?

If they don't get any offers, they can't sell, right?

What am I missing?

(Not that we'd wait anyway. I just saw a listing come up on Craigslist an hour ago that I jumped on right away. So I pray that one comes through.)

I'm not a lawyer, I've had a friend go through this and the house I'm living in now was bought from a divorcing couple. In both cases, the market had crashed and they pretty much were forced by the timing to accept lowball offers. I would guess they have longer than "this summer" but houses aren't selling quickly, if they want to sell in time they need to get in there, make cosmetic repairs, etc.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, I've had a friend go through this and the house I'm living in now was bought from a divorcing couple. In both cases, the market had crashed and they pretty much were forced by the timing to accept lowball offers. I would guess they have longer than "this summer" but houses aren't selling quickly, if they want to sell in time they need to get in there, make cosmetic repairs, etc.
    Ahh. Ok. I think they're hoping to get someone with $$ who will want the site for the property and want to tear down the house and build new.

It's a 70's era double-wide that was in only ok condition when we moved in. A sinking toilet in the 2nd bathroom, damage from prior pet owners, aluminum wiring that has been failing outlet by outlet.

It would take more than cosmetics to make this a place someone with any kind of money would want to buy. But someone like us could have an inspection done and then offer a low amount.

I don't think they'll want to put a penny into fixing this place up to sell - it would take thousands.

Still, as I said, not waiting around to find out. We're jumping on everything we see that is within price range. Responded via e-mail to one posted earlier today that would be perfect. So really hoping they call us.

There are apartment locators that have some rental properties and the Landlord pays them for it. I have a friend that is always advertising his services but its here in Austin, Tx.

The reason real estate offices are a good place to call for rental properties is because real estate agents have clients who they have bought and sold properties, mainly investment properties. When one becomes vacant, the real estate agent posts it on his website, or in the office as a favour for his client. Often times a real estate agent may be selling a home that involve separation, and they can't afford to buy another one, or have poor credit for one reason or another, or the male/female may be paying large support payments and doesn't qualify for a mortgage, therefore the real estate agent will try a find a rental for their client. The first place they will check is within their own office.

Property management companies are a great place to check as well. In my area, there are a couple of newspapers that are strictly buy and sell and homes and apts for rent.

Don't worry about your credit history, print off bank statements showing your rental payments for the last 12 months, and any other bills you may have paid on time for 12 months, that is confirmation that even though you may have credit issues, your rent is on time.

I would check on the 30 day notice, in my area it is 60 days.

Good luck I hope you find that special place to call home soon.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 05-24-2011 at 11:08 PM.

I wanted to share that we found a house to rent.

Details in the "Share Your Good News" thread.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12