+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car repair pricing

Car repair pricing

My car needs repairs--again. I was wondering how much others have paid for certain items or repairs. For example, I need front strutts, mounts, and alignment ($510.00). r/f sway barlink ($45.00). Tires ($69.00 each). I live in NY state. Do these prices seem reasonable or inflated. Someone suggested to get the alignment at Midas for $50.00--but, I wonder what kind of a job (for anything) would be done for $50.

What is your experience or opinion?

Alignments aren't a big deal - Midas would work. But I would bet the larger part of that $510 is for the struts and mounts, and labor.

What kind of tires? I paid nearly $200 each for the ones I recently bought.

I believe they are plain all weather/season tires. I'm not sure if the last ones were goodyears or not. It's for a 15" rim skylark (I don't know if that makes a difference. If you like, I would be glad to find out tomorrow. Let me know.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    I'd get a second and third opinion on the struts and mounts (definitely the costly portion of the maintenance you need)... i just got my wheels aligned last week- $50... it's an easy area to take advantage of somebody-

we always take our cars to pepboys for things like struts. if you have one there, you might go for an estimate. they usually do a good job and don't monetarily rape you in the process.

I know so little about cars it's unreal ... that's why I have guy friends to help me LOL. I did have to get tires put on mine last week and they are 15in oversized tires for my car and they ended up running $65 each so atleast that part of it sounds about right to me.

Definately haggle on tires... Get the make, model, size and all that. Call a few different places. Do you have Town Fair Tire where you are? They generally beat everyone's prices. YOu can usually get someone to match or beat the best price you can find. $50-$60 sounds about right for an alignment. Costco or BJ's is a good place to get tires too. Look for sales in the paper.

Hard to gauge on the struts pricing... I'll agree it's mostly labor. What kind of car is this? You'll probably get your best price in a place like Midas or pepboys, and they usually do pretty good work. My second choice would be a private garage, dealerships are expensive.
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

These are really good ideas. Thanks everyone!

struts part sounds right. I had a 89 Olds Cutlass Calais and the front sturts cost me 210 bucks in 94. Thats without labor. Those things aren't cheap.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I've never in my life had shocks or struts replaced. Now, I'm not a huge car guy, so what the heck would one need to replace them for? What is a symptom that they need to be replaced?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast