+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car repair pricing

Originally posted by John
    I've never in my life had shocks or struts replaced. Now, I'm not a huge car guy, so what the heck would one need to replace them for? What is a symptom that they need to be replaced?
    From what was explained to me struts are like shock absorbers. If it really gets out of whak (he did not say that) it can throw off the alignment. My car rides like a boat on rough waters: up left--down right, up right--down left.

Maybe someone else can explain it better.

My 1995 Jeep Cherokee rides pretty rough these days, but that's because I 4-wheel with it, I think. Of course, I've dropped the engine on it, too (broke all 4 motor mounts), which can't be good for it

It's got 118,000 miles on it, and still starts like a charm, though, so I really can't complain too much. It's paid off, and it got me back and forth to Florida at least 15 times.

Perhaps your jeep rides rough because the shocks need replacement.

I prefer tire places which will rotate tires and fix flats for free, once you purchase tires from them.

eldee, check out auto.consumerguide.com for a list of repair costs particular to your vehicle.

I was wrong about the brand of tires. They might have originally been Goodyears, but have been replaced by Cooper Steel Belted.

I probably do need the shocks replaced. The only money I really put into cars is getting the oil changed religiously, and changing the battery every couple of years. I'm so bad with the other stuff.

you will notice that the vehicle sorta bounces over bumps like a boat on water instead of just a fast jolt. I know thats a bad definition. Or you can push down on the front end and if it bounces more than once, you need new shocks or struts.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Well, with me, lately, rather than "bounce" over bumps, it kind of thumps over them.

It's fine off-road, though, but I notice it on the roads. It doesn't handle the speedbumps in my subdivision nearly as well as it used to.

My husband is an Automotive Trainer for a large chain. He teaches the guys how to fix cars and deal with the public.

When he was a technician at the chain, if the price was outrageous he would tell people that they could buy the parts at Trak Auto and have them installed in the shop. (The reason that repairs get expensive is quite often because the shop doesn't stock the part. The mark up on parts they need to buy is over 150%..... I have no idea why)

The shop would warrenty the work, but not the part. The store where the part was purchased should warrenty the part though. The only problem with this is that if it is the part that goes bad the shop will charge to take them off and put them back on. He would let the customer make the decision.

Anyway, the reason I bring it up is because a lot of technicians won't tell you that you can buy the parts elsewhere. They are usually paid salary plus commision and if they can get customers to pay, they make more money. You may want to ask if they stock the parts. If they do, your price won't drop for the service, if they don't, ask how much it would cost if you bought the parts.

The funny thing, and something that my husband tries to explain, is that he had more repeat customers asking for him than anyone else AND quite often the people did NOT want to buy their own parts, just liked that he let them know that they could.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

That's a good inside tip, Cali!

My auto shop where I take my cars is a ways away from me, but I had an emergency about 8 years ago with a car that wouldn't start...They not only fixed me up with an hour (even though they are ALWAYS jam-packed), but one of my parts had been replaced recently, and was still under warranty (from another shop), so they didn't charge me the part cost to replace it.

Now, they were in a position where they could easily have charged me and I'd still have been happy, but to this day, I remember that and it's the only place I take my vehicles for service. They didn't charge me for a $10 part 8 years ago, and they've more than gotten that back.

It's amazing what people remember. My husband tries telling this to the technicians all the time.

The sad thing is that one mess up and a person will tell 100 people, one nice deed and they may tell 5.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast