+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you won the BIG lottery

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

What would you do if you won the BIG lottery

I don't play the lottery, but I got to to thinking about this after reading what people think Oprah should be doing for her family members financially.

I have 10 siblings and my husband has 7. We have 2 living children.

I think we'd give 1 million to every one of them, and let them figure out how to best use it in their lives, and then not worry about it. A million dollars can change almost anyone's life for the better.

What would you do?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Re: What would you do if you won the BIG lottery

Strange that this thread has come up. The lottery has been in the news in our area since last Sept, when a store owner was charged along with his two kids for a lottery scam of $12million dollars. At the time of the charge, the only details given were, a ticket was purchased in one city, and after the draw checked in another city. When the ticket was checked the person was told he was not a winner, when in fact it was a free play ticket. That free play ticket won $12M. That was in 2003 prior to the self checking little machines they have now. The ticket was claimed almost a year later just before the deadline date. The store owner and kids bought luxrey cars, homes etc.

Since last Sept/10 there were over 670 people who claimed to have been the one's who purchased the ticket in the one city and checked in the other. No other news in the last few months.

Today they announced the winners were 7 guys who worked together at the time and they picked up their money yesterday. They each won just over $2M which included interest. I have no idea how they were finally to determine these guys were the winners, but they are so happy this has happened. They will be paying off mortgages, buying one good car, helping family and that's about it for now. One of them is expecting a child and he is elated his child is set for life. Two of the guys are brothers.

What a happy ending to a horrible situation that the greedy store owner created.

Personally, I would do just that, be debt free, that alone would be an incredible feeling, buy a good car/4 wheel drive, share with my family, donate to the needy and humane society. Oh, and thanking the heavens above every day of my life.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I would pay off my student loans, then put $10 - 15million in a long-term savings account. I might buy a vacation house for my family. Then I would donate the rest.

OMG, my husband and I have discussed this over the years! I've dreamt of it.

Honestly, I know exactly what I'd do:

--Pay off our debts (not much actually)
    --Make all long-term repairs/maintenance to our property and land
    --Buy an oceanfront house for our use whenever
    --Buy new cars (ours are OLD)
    --Give $1m to our church anonymously as an endowment for our new building
    --Set aside trusts for our children until they're 30 (they gotta work for it!)
    --Buy a motorcoach and take a year and tour the United States
    --Make anonymous donations to people who need fresh starts
    --Live a slow, comfortable life

That's it...no luxuries other than that.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Give some money to a few people we know, probably some family members just because I would feel guilty if I didn't, a substantial donation to the local catch, neuter and release program for feral cats, a substantial donation to the Toronto Wildlife Centre and Blackberry's for me and the mister. The truly luxurious thing we would do would be to buy our neighbour's house. There's nothing actually wrong with her but her rather piercing voice, which really, really gets on my nerves - I can hear her cellphone conversations from a good hundred feet away. So I've decided that I would offer her a can't-refuse price for her house and turn it into a combined studio space for my art and for Mr. Rattus' band. I would have the extension removed and both backyards combined and put in a largish water feature in the shady area along the 8' high fence I would put up between our combined properties and the semi-annoying neighbour two doors down, and also put in a large vegetable garden (we only have space for a few tomato and pepper plants right now). I've given this quite a bit of thought .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

After I have my heart attack when I found out I won then I would pay all my bills off, buy a place in the country, set in trust money for my kids, don't have any family left so that wouldn't be an issue, give to some charities and help my friends with their bills. Oh, and I would definatly have a swimming pool! And a cottage up north!

I almost never play, but it's fun to think about all the same. I'd keep my house that I love, but have some improvements made. I'd pay off my kids' college loans. I'd probably keep working for a few more years, but I'd retire early. I like the idea of setting up trusts until my kids are 30, SugarMama, but I doubt I'd be able to resist splurging on them and gifting them financially if they needed it.
    Then, I'd do like SugarMama and make anonymous donations to people in my community who are in need, especially old students.
    Most importantly, I'd go back to school and take any college course at any college that interested me. I've always dreamed of being a life-long student.
    Count your blessings!

Pay my bills, help my kids, put money away in a trust for my grandkids, and travel, travel, travel!! I might even have a tummy tuck and a boob job! I would quit my job, but I'd like to finish school, and like Gutmutter, I'd take the classes that I want to take as opposed to the one I have to take.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4168758;
    I might even have a tummy tuck and a boob job!
    Whoops, forgot that little part of my wish list! Let's see:
    I'll have a large order of liposuction, with a breast lift, butt lift, face lift...oh hell, just lift everything
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Aw, crap -- is there a lottery big enough?
    I'd get reconstructive surgery to remove all of my ugly flabby redundant skin from my 200+ pound weight loss.
    I'd get physical therapy to strengthen my knee muscles and build lean muscle tissue overall -- from someone who knows how to do so efficiently and how to train me.
    I'd get what my husband needs to maintain his health (24-year+ kidney transplant recipient).
    I'd build my business.
    I'd hire any of my family members who would want a job with me and put them in positions to make them feel fulfilled and to build "our" business!
    I'd sponsor my winemaker cousin for whatever she needs in producing her delicious wine!
    I'd buy my parents a house/cottage/condo/luxury apartment/assisted living (their choice) in a snorkeling locale of their choice (they used to scuba a LOT, but because of dad's decompression sickness incident, they now snorkel).
    I'd travel and bring people with me, all expenses paid.
    I'd sponsor an almost-homeless shelter along with skills training and opportunity networking for independent living and transitioning to "normal life."

I'm sure I can think of other stuff, given time. But this is the short, off-the-cuff list.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast