+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What would you do if you won the BIG lottery

CCL

Re: What would you do if you won the BIG lottery

Tanog7 and myrosiedog...that is so lovely.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

MRD

Lil Bit, those that brag must do so in order to try to get people to like them. If they were what my mother called "good people", they wouldn't have to brag and would be more generous. Just saying...
    Tango, my husbands brother assumed when my mother died that I inherited a pile. (she died in debt due to huge medical expenses) and had the nerve to ask us for money. When I got over the shock and could speak and told him 1. He had some nerve and 2. If I had inherited, he wouldn't be seeing any of it, he called me that really awful name for a woman that starts with "c". He's lucky he was 3 states away. I wouldn't walk across the street to give him a quarter. But I might send him a photo of us with a giant lotto check.

One year at Christmas. I did a parody newsletter saying we had hit the lottery. I really had fun with it and everyone got the joke but him. He thought we had won and called my husband who laughed his butt off.
    Family never ceases to repulse me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

"Family never ceases to repulse me"

I love that, and I WILL be using that line in the future!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    OT, but Gutmutter's post reminded me of something that happened to me a little while ago. A man came into my restaurant and I waited on him. He is the husband of one of our local doctors. He sat there bragging about his BMW and the fact that in a month, he and his wife were going to France to spend some time at the home they have there. He also dropped Tanya Tucker's name once or twice, telling me that she was their neighbor in France. Then he left me a DOLLAR for a tip! Sometimes it's really hard to keep the smile on my face!
    My former friend/now acquaintence who won $20 million in the lottery...I know for a fact that they never give money to the church they attend or the private Christian school their children attend, both could use any help they can get. Don't feel bad, what goes around, comes around.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I don't know how people can enjoy their winnings, if they don't pay it forward, such as giving back to those who helped them in the past, charities and organizations that can really use the donations. I commend all the large charity organization, but I like the little guys too, such as the childrens playground that a group of residents built strictly from donations in my area, or the local humane society. I couldn't thoroughly enjoy my winnings if I didn't share it in a way I see fit.

As mentioned up thread, in Canada, you have to agree to let the Lotto Corporation advertise you and your winnings. I have no problem with that, give me the money, and off I go to Florida for a few months or to Italy Depending on the amount, I can then contemplate how much goes to who and look for a vacation home while I'm at it.

I have an aunt who several years ago, bought a scratch ticket (one who never buys tickets) and won $50,000. Our Lotto's slogan is "Imagine the Freedom".

CCL, I love your avi. I too am so sick of winter!

CCL

^And it is snowing again. At least if I had won the lottery last night I could hightail it out of here, off to more sunny climes. Sadly no.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    . I couldn't thoroughly enjoy my winnings if I didn't share it in a way I see fit.
    !

The bolded is my whole hangup. I can be very generous when I pick the cause, but begging because you know I won would not sit well at all. No doubt I would donate, just...begging me would be a good way to get nothing!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

queenb: I totally agree with you. I can use my judgement on who can use a little help, we all know friends/family who are struggeling. Those types of people wouldn't beg.

CCL: more snow for me too overnight. When will it end?

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    [/B]

The bolded is my whole hangup. I can be very generous when I pick the cause, but begging because you know I won would not sit well at all. No doubt I would donate, just...begging me would be a good way to get nothing!
    I agree. If I win, it is my money and my choice who to donate to. Begging annoys me to no end.

I will be playing the scratch tickets tomorrow...I will let you know what I am going to do when I win big.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    ^And it is snowing again. At least if I had won the lottery last night I could hightail it out of here, off to more sunny climes. Sadly no.
    It can be done, really. I moved from Wisconsin to SoCal without having won a lottery!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456