+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you won the BIG lottery

Re: What would you do if you won the BIG lottery

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I'm with you queenb. I can imagine the long-lost relatives and "friends" that crawl out of the woodwork when someone comes into that kind of money. I'd definitely have to disappear for a while and lay low. 4 of my brothers would be happy for me and not expect a hand-out. The other brother would definitely expect money that he would not get because of his substance abuse issues. (I might help him out with rehab, though) My sister already owes me money that I will never get back, so I'm not sure I'd go there either. As for my husbands family.... not a chance in... well, you know where!
    But our course, our dear old Uncle......Sam....would get about half of it right up front.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I just thought of something I would add as a priority for lottery winnings (and I'm embarrassed that this wasn't among the first things I thought of):
    To give something meaningful -- whether outright cash, a vacation, or whatever -- to people who helped me out, just out of the kindness of their hearts without expecting anything in return, during my own financial difficulties.
    I think that part goes without saying. Anyone who has had my back through the years would be getting a nice thank you. It's the people who don't ever help, that I never hear from, who forgot me years ago, etc. that would be SOL. And my sharing would be by invitation only, beggars forget it.

I never win anything, but do buy maybe $2 in tickets twice a week, sometimes 3 tickets. The fantasizing is fun and worth the $3, but not so much if you didn't even buy a ticket.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

CCL

I know in Canada part of the terms of playing the lottery is that you give the lottery corporation the right to use your name and image, so there is no way you can stay anonymous if you win big. I know in the UK you are given the choice to reveal yourself in the press as a winner or not. What is it like in the US?
    In Canada you don't have to pay tax on your lottery winnings (just on the interest you earn on the money when you put it in the bank) so I wouldn't have that issue. I'd do the usual pay off the mortgage etc. I don't like owing money. The rest would depend on how much I won. It'd be nice to travel more, maybe have a vacation home etc. It would just be about having more choices.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    ...In Canada you don't have to pay tax on your lottery winnings (just on the interest you earn on the money when you put it in the bank) so I wouldn't have that issue...
    Sweet! I didn't think such places even existed anymore! How about when you die, does the government tax your ASSets when you die?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I'd sleep through the night and not worry about money.

I used to joke that the only reason I ever wanted to be on TV is if they were announcing me as the next big lottery winner. Now I know I would keep my mouth shut!

I'd make sure my family was taken care of and then I would TRAVEL! Buy a little house/apt. or two - one in SF and another in NYC - and just live my life without worrying. No big cars or expensive clothing or even a giant house. Just a comfortable life where I didn't have to work unless I wanted to. I don't care about material things beyond the basics. For me, luxury is being able to afford experiences: travel, great meals, theater, etc.

I think I wore my contest luck out years ago. I won my car a few years back, so I've hit my quota.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'd sleep through the night and not worry about money.

I used to joke that the only reason I ever wanted to be on TV is if they were announcing me as the next big lottery winner. Now I know I would keep my mouth shut!

I'd make sure my family was taken care of and then I would TRAVEL! Buy a little house/apt. or two - one in SF and another in NYC - and just live my life without worrying. No big cars or expensive clothing or even a giant house. Just a comfortable life where I didn't have to work unless I wanted to. I don't care about material things beyond the basics. For me, luxury is being able to afford experiences: travel, great meals, theater, etc.

I think I wore my contest luck out years ago. I won my car a few years back, so I've hit my quota.
    I so agree with that! Love SF and NYC, but I'm a country/beach girl...I'd like to visit but not live there. Just like you, I'd not change much of my life. I've been blessed. Im not rich, I'm not poor. I'd like to have security more than anything else.

You won a CAR? So cool! But don't give up. I saw a story just in this past year where somebody won the Lotto twice! I think it's one of two things: either God thinks he/she is really awesome..... or God thinks this person really needs that extra chance to grow up! And they'd better pass the test or else.

Maybe I'd buy a house in southern France and then tell all my close friends and family that any time they want to come visit, I'll foot the bill. And since my chef daughter dreams of living there and running a bistro, I'd make that happen so she could be near me.
    Count your blessings!

OT, but Gutmutter's post reminded me of something that happened to me a little while ago. A man came into my restaurant and I waited on him. He is the husband of one of our local doctors. He sat there bragging about his BMW and the fact that in a month, he and his wife were going to France to spend some time at the home they have there. He also dropped Tanya Tucker's name once or twice, telling me that she was their neighbor in France. Then he left me a DOLLAR for a tip! Sometimes it's really hard to keep the smile on my face!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

I'm not talking about relatives and friends, I'm talking about BIG name charities (of which I will NOT name here). The well established ones and the ones we all know about and already donate too. They follow the lottery winners and hit them up after wins. I know they need money, and I know they do good work. But that just seems to be, well, tacky if you ask me.

I don't think I would donate to anyone that asked me.

I have a friend here with a severaly disabled son who is 11. The disease he has has only 2000 known cases. The other day, he said, one day he would love to take his son to Spring training. Well, the boy is completely incapacitated. Wheel chair, feeding tube, oxygen. But while he is unable to speak, he can communicate somewhat and is definetly aware. So a trip like that would involve a LOT, because of his equipment, care, etc.
    If I won the lottery, I would send the whole family to Florida for Spring training, Disney World, Universal Studios, etc. They have not been on a vacation in over 11 years. He and his wife have not been out of the house together less than a dozen times since the son was born, as someone with training has to be there. They do have home health nurses, but they have to be specially trained and those are hard to come by.
    So I would make it that they could all (and there is an older child as well) go and have a big family vacation.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

They follow the lottery winners and hit them up after wins. I know they need money, and I know they do good work. But that just seems to be, well, tacky if you ask me.

I don't think I would donate to anyone that asked me.
    I agree.

I would rather give to someone who I feel is deserving but who would never, ever expect a financial gift.

Example – in the neighborhood where I used to live there’s a drugstore cashier who I used to enjoy interacting with. I ‘read’ people very well – my gut has never failed me. This is a genuinely sweet young lady with a good heart who (based on some things I picked up on) is struggling (single parent) but always smiling. About a year ago I stopped in the store and she’s still there, but she mentioned that she needed to find something better. I know her name, and if I ever were to hit it big I’d love to give her a generous check. Even if it was years on down the line, and regardless of where she might be (I’d find her) I have such pleasant memories of her.

OTOH I have certain blood relatives who I would not give a dime to - even if they begged me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast