+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hearing aids for the vain

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Hearing aids for the vain

I don't know about the rest of you, but I put off getting hearing aids for years after I probably should have in part because of vanity. I just wanted to let you know that there are ones out there now, that make a big difference, and are basically invisible. In fact even when I tell people I have them on people can't see them (that's partly due to my hair style, which covers the tops of my ears, but even without that they are very hard to see). They are not cheap (mine were about $3000, for the top of the line) and often insurance is not helpful, but mine come with literally a lifetime supply of batteries and other components, and I can bring them in for adjustment as needed, so I look at it as a one time investment that with luck will last the rest of my life....hopefully many many years. The TV is on lower, I can adjust them for background noise in crowded restaurants, and I'm not driving my Sig. Other crazy saying what any more. They aren't perfect, my hearing isn't what it was when I was 20, but it is way way better. They are also easy to put on or take off and to change batteries.
    I'm saying all this because my previous image of hearing aids was based on my mom's. Hers went in her ear and were not only visible they seemed to hard to remove, hard to change batteries on, etc., especially for arthritic hands. Because of that I put off seeing the ear doctor for several years longer than I should have. These have a section (variable color to fit with your skin/hair color) that goes behind the ear and a transparent tube that goes over the top of the ear, with just a small tip that kind of rests on the entrance to your ear canal. I don't know how it works, but it does.
    So if people are having to repeat for you all the time now, and ask you to turn the TV down, it's time to look into doing something--you won't be sorry!

Re: Hearing aids for the vain

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4160316;
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I put off getting hearing aids for years after I probably should have in part because of vanity. I just wanted to let you know that there are ones out there now, that make a big difference, and are basically invisible. In fact even when I tell people I have them on people can't see them (that's partly due to my hair style, which covers the tops of my ears, but even without that they are very hard to see). They are not cheap (mine were about $3000, for the top of the line) and often insurance is not helpful, but mine come with literally a lifetime supply of batteries and other components, and I can bring them in for adjustment as needed, so I look at it as a one time investment that with luck will last the rest of my life....hopefully many many years. The TV is on lower, I can adjust them for background noise in crowded restaurants, and I'm not driving my Sig. Other crazy saying what any more. They aren't perfect, my hearing isn't what it was when I was 20, but it is way way better. They are also easy to put on or take off and to change batteries.
    I'm saying all this because my previous image of hearing aids was based on my mom's. Hers went in her ear and were not only visible they seemed to hard to remove, hard to change batteries on, etc., especially for arthritic hands. Because of that I put off seeing the ear doctor for several years longer than I should have. These have a section (variable color to fit with your skin/hair color) that goes behind the ear and a transparent tube that goes over the top of the ear, with just a small tip that kind of rests on the entrance to your ear canal. I don't know how it works, but it does.
    So if people are having to repeat for you all the time now, and ask you to turn the TV down, it's time to look into doing something--you won't be sorry!
    I'm so glad to hear this. Years (and years) ago, I got my Masters in Audiology and was dissatisfied with the state of the art aids we had at that present time. Most people wouldn't wear them because of the problem with ambient noise being made even louder. I had heard there were great improvements so it's really nice to know that they are finally helping people, instead of sitting in a dresser drawer.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm curious if anyone has tried the new 24 hour ones I see advertised now. I take mine off at night---not a problem except that then I need a really loud alarm clock.

The title of this thread is perfect! My 76 year old father is in desperate need of hearing aids, but refuses to get them. His most frequently uttered phrase is "huh?" I'm not sure if he's hesitant because he thinks hearing aids will mean he's old....as opposed to just not hearing what anyone is saying. That's SOOOO much better.

My dad has the TV so loud that it's practically abusive. My poor cat was terrified when we visited him at Christmas. I think we may have to approach him from the standpoint of it being bad for his expensive TV to have the volume up so high. He doesn't seem to care about not being able to hear anything.

I have a good friend whose husband is hearing impaired and it's amazing how much progress has been made with hearing aids in the last 10 years.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, I have to admit I felt something like your dad... it was just one too many things...first my eyes (see cataract thread), then I had to have a tooth implant because one cracked and had to be pulled, and then my hearing.... I was starting to feel bionic, and not in a good way. But when I realized I really couldn't do my job, and that even the captioning on the TV wasn't enough help for me to watch TV at a normal level I finally captitulated....well, that and my Sig. Other had had it with all the "Huh?"s.

Meanwhile though, for your cat's sake, if your dad hasn't already found it, introduce him to the captioning feature on his TV. If he's where I was, even with the volume way up he's probably missing a lot and getting very frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4166081;
    Well, I have to admit I felt something like your dad... it was just one too many things...first my eyes (see cataract thread), then I had to have a tooth implant because one cracked and had to be pulled, and then my hearing.... I was starting to feel bionic, and not in a good way.
    I can sure relate to what you said here, cataracts, teeth, etc. Old age is not easy but I'm not ready to give in yet! Still got a lot of fight left in me.

+ Reply to Thread