+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adopt a Family for Christmas

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Adopt a Family for Christmas

Our eldest son, age 35, proposed we do this for our Christmas celebration this year. We all got together on Sunday a week ago and chose a family from this site:

Help, Family: PLEASE adopt my family for christmas!!!! <3

DH insisted on thoroughly vetting our family of choice, and he would suggest that you do, too. Christmastide scams that pull on your heart strings are everywhere cyber. If you just Google "adopt a family for Christmas" you will find one, even in your area if that is your preference.

Our chosen family has 4 kids, aged 2 through 10. We received the kids' wish lists, but added bikes for the oldest 2 and "snow" clothes for everyone. We're also having their Christmas dinner delivered on Christmas Eve. Mom and Dad both lost their jobs this year and just paying the rent, heat, and grocery bills have stretched their budget too thin for Christmas. They live in Detroit.

This Christmas is costing us much less than we normally expend. Normally, we spend on electronics and jewelry and other high ticket things. We are not exchanging gifts (although I expect DH to cheat on this, so I have one tucked away for him, lol). I cannot remember a Christmas this exciting since our kids were, well.... kids.

If you would like to do something similar, it's not too late. If you need advice as to how to "vet" a family, PM me. It's not hard, and you will have their complete cooperation. Whatever you all are doing this Christmas, I hope it brings you as much joy as this is bringing us!

ETA: My husband just advised me that he and some of his co-workers have just adopted another family from our former hometown, New Orleans.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 12-14-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Re: Adopt a Family for Christmas

That is so cool! I would love to be able to adopt a family. As it is, we're not exchanging gifts this year or even having a christmas tree. The money simply isn't there. But we have a roof over our heads, and we will all be together and that is what counts. Maybe next year we'll be able to help out somewhere. Even if its just donating a toy, you know?

Merry Christmas to you Poppy and your family. You're doing a great thing!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;4126731;
    That is so cool! I would love to be able to adopt a family. As it is, we're not exchanging gifts this year or even having a christmas tree. The money simply isn't there. But we have a roof over our heads, and we will all be together and that is what counts. Maybe next year we'll be able to help out somewhere. Even if its just donating a toy, you know?

Merry Christmas to you Poppy and your family. You're doing a great thing!
    A very Merry Christmas to you and yours, too, livin4reality! A snug, cozy, and happy one with all of you together - that is, truly, what counts! Everything else is ancillary.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4126655;
    ETA: My husband just advised me that he and some of his co-workers have just adopted another family from our former hometown, New Orleans.
    I just got back from a week in your hometown!!! Love that place! Second visit for me but first for hubby, daughter & her husband. They're in love now too.

+ Reply to Thread