+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Stories - Do you have one?

FORT Fogey

Re: Ghost Stories - Do you have one?

I have felt the presence of both my parents, especially my father, who predicted that my son, who was struggling for much of his young life, would be OK and would make something of himself and do us all proud. Indeed he did, graduating third in his class in mechanical engineering from a well-known university. He worked 15 years for one of the major American auto companies, in the end designing race cars. Dad knew his "customers." I often look at his picture and thank him for his faith and confidence in his grandson.

I rarely wander into this forum but glad I did tonight. I love this topic! I've had a couple of interesting experiences, mainly revolving around one home we lived in. Those are longer stories but there is a shorter one I can share.

When I was in college there were days money was tight, so I'd have to have a cheap lunch. One day I had just finished purchasing a text book and I had about $3 left for lunch. Enough for a slice and a soda.

While walking to the area I normally took lunch at a woman approached me and asked for some change so she could eat. NYC is full of people asking for change so if you didn't know how to say "no" you'd be in bad shape. There was something about this woman that struck me. She didn't look like she "belonged". As a matter of fact, she really reminded me of my mom's sister, who died before I was born. I'd only seen two pictures of her because most of the family photos had been lost in a fire,but this woman reminded me of her, down to the hairstyle. I didn't realize that until later on, though.

Something said give her a dollar. Sure, that downgraded my lunch to a couple of hot dogs which I did not want but I was driven to do it. I handed her the dollar and she said thanks and walked away as I continued in the opposite direction. I took two or three steps and turned to look back and she was gone. Trust me she had nowhere to go that quickly. No corners to turn, and in that heavy NYC traffic she couldn't have crossed that large street that quickly if she tried. There really was no explaination as to where she could have gone, and the crowd was not thick enough to lose her in, she was simply just gone.

After standing confused for a few seconds I headed to the 2 for $1 hot dog place for lunch. I go to cross the street and in front of me is a crisp $100 bill. No clue where it came from. Noone who was close enough to me to have just dropped it and too out in the open to last 15 seconds on a NYC street. No wind blowing, no reason, it was just there at my feet. It truly came from nowhere.

Not a life altering experience, just a moment that felt good. It felt like I had passed some sort of test. It left me with a smile on my face and a reprieve from the hot dog place.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 10-28-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

What a great story! I get why you thought you passed a test.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I'm so glad I happened to see this tonight. For some reason, it really helps to know that others experience these strange things. I've reached an age where I can no longer accept these occurances as anything but REAL.

I'm not sure why but I seem to be kind of like an open "doorway" to people close to me that have recently died. It only happens very soon after their death and then never again. At first, it scared the heebee jeebees out of me but not so much anymore.

The first time was right after a dear friend died quickly and unexpectedly. Her "presence" scared me to death but it was so strong I couldn't deny it even though I really wanted to believe it was my imagination. It only happened in this one room. It scared me so much that I finally just got mad and yelled at her to stop what she was doing and get it right because she was terrifying me. Funny, but right after that, she "came" thru quite clearly and without anything creepy about it, and I felt that she was just trying to say she was so sorry and didn't mean to frighten me but she was sorry for how sudden it was for us all. (We were to have lunch together the morning she died of a stroke.)

This has happened to me with other different loved ones. None have been the same, all different in their own way and none frightening, in fact, quite the opposite. I'm left with a good feeling.

Mostly it's a one time deal only, unlike the first time with my girlfriend and it only happens right after they have died, never to be "heard" from again.
    For the longest time, I tried to tell myself I just imagined it....things like that don't happen.
    But they do and I'm no longer afraid of it.
    It's nice to know that there is "something" after death.

After my dad died, I started finding dimes on the floor, here and there spaced in time. I don't know why I associated them with my dad, but I did. I never used to find them before he died. Even now, I'll find one and think of him. I'm not finding pennies, nickels, or quarters... just dimes.
    More recently, a dear friend from our cancer support group died. On my way to the memorial meeting we were having for her, I passed the catholic church that has a beautiful outside statue (white marble) of the Virgin Mary. Now, even though it's on a side street, it is a short cut I take often, and every time I do, I say in my head, "Our Lady Immaculate, Pray for Us". (That's what's inscribed on the base of the statue.) I'm not Catholic, but every time I say that, I look at the statue and the direction of light makes one thing or other stand out and I try to be open to what it might mean. Well, this day of the memorial, I took the short cut and before I got there I was already thinking the prayer and I rounded the corner and the statue was BLAZING in pure white light. I felt our friend's presence unmistakably and a pure rush of joy overtook me. It was the strongest event of any supernatural kind I've ever experienced.
    Count your blessings!

Hello everyone, I read here in the "general" section on occasion, but don't have a chance to post much, so forgive me if I don't post back much. This topic has always intrigued me, since I too have had a few experiences. I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their stories and also add a true story of my own.

About one year ago, my wife's sister passed due to illness + we were over at her house the day after, with other relatives helping to clean up the house. During a break, we all sat around and began playing an impromtu Movie Trivia game, where we just asked each other questions about movies. I had brought up a question about who the singer of the songs in the movie "The Sound of Music" was?.....because I could not remember the name of the beautiful girl who played and sang in that movie. That question really stumped all of us for a long time, as most of us knew the person, but we could not think of her name. Kind of like "on the tip of our toungue" type thing. After we went on to other questions, somebody finally remembered it was Julie Andrews and blurted it out. We were all relieved to get the answer, as it was driving us nuts. Nothing eventful happened until much later that evening when I was back at home.

My wife had gone to bed + I stayed up very late watching TV. I was just flipping channels, and finally found a decent old movie to catch the end of. After about 30 minutes, the movie ended, and I was just about to flip channel, when the person on TV was announcing what would be shown next week on this particular "movie show". I cannot remember the particular movie name, but when he said...."with Julie Andrews"....., I almost fell off the couch. I immediately had a calming feeling come over me, looked around the room, and said some nice prayers for my wife's sister. We had never been real close, but I strongly feel that she gave me a "message" that night that she was OK now, and her pain on this earth is no longer. The reason this was no coincidence in my mind is because of how dramatic it all was, and also what happened next.

Sure enough, on another channel entirely, something else was said on TV that had direct ties to my wife's sister. A very direct tie, but unfortunately I cannot recall specifically what it was because the "Julie Andrews thing" is what has stuck with me. But I specifically recall hearing something on another channel that also "floored me". It was so obvious what was happening, that I went in to wake up my wife and tell her all about it. We both believe strongly in God, and so we feel that it is just our family members trying to tell us that they are OK now, and in a better place.

We too, like others here, wonder why some of the close relatives we lost will not come visit us, when we actually want them to. I think we just have to realize that maybe only certain people are given permission to come back and visit when the timing is just right, and the situation is just right. It also could be that they did indeed visit us, but we missed the "hint", since some of these types of situations are very subtle. Whatever the reason, we believe that we will get to see all our past relatives again when it is our time to be with them. So we choose to be patient until that time comes.

In closing, I want to say I truly believe in the other stories here, since these are the types of things we have no reason or motive to lie about. So thanks again to everyone else who has shared their personal stories with us. God Bless all of you, and have a great weekend.

Just wanted to clarify regarding my story.....that I am sure these things on TV that night would have still been said without me tuning in....its just that the odds that I would be tuned into those particular channels at that very time to hear them on that particular night...is the part that I think was not just a coincidence. Especially, since our Satellite TV has about 100 channels. Just wanted to clarify.

Okay, this had me really thinking about the home I grew up in, and so many crazy things happened there in the 26 or so years my family lived in that home I had to post a bit about it.

When we moved in the home was like any other home except for one bedroom, which was painted totally black. My parents found it weird but thought nothing more about it. Well that room was always colder than the rest of the house. The house had a long hallway and my bedroom was at the end of this hallway with the bathroom in the middle of it. In the middle of the night sometimes, or if I were home alone, I'd have this feeling like someone was there with me. Scared the crap out of me to the point where I only felt okay if I went into a part of the house where someone else was. Would only feel this presence in the hall that led to that bedroom.

Years later after I had married and left home we came back to visit. My son was an infant then and I would carry him up and down that hall rocking him and singing trying to get him to sleep. He would calm down but he would always fix his eyes on this doorway that led to a family room. If I took him to stand under that doorway he would scream in fear-his eyes fixed above that doorway. After about 3 days I simply said "I don't think you mean any harm, but if you are not here to visit him please leave him alone. You're scaring him". He never cried in that doorway again or fixed his eyes on that entranceway. I assumed it granted my request.

Later I told my husband all about it. He then informed me that the first time he came to stay in my family home he woke up one night to use the restroom. In that same doorway he saw a man with a cigar in a fedora. At first he thought he was just tired but a few seconds later he was sure it was real. He never said anything because he thought I'd just laugh it off. After that I told him how I always felt something but never actually saw anything. I never did find out anything about whomever lived there before us, and I'm kind of glad because it may have freaked me out to have to live there. Have never had anything like that happen since my family moved from that home.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 10-29-2010 at 02:52 PM.

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by Sticker;4093729;
    Just wanted to clarify regarding my story.....that I am sure these things on TV that night would have still been said without me tuning in....its just that the odds that I would be tuned into those particular channels at that very time to hear them on that particular night...is the part that I think was not just a coincidence. Especially, since our Satellite TV has about 100 channels. Just wanted to clarify.
    I get what you're saying. Similar things have happened to me, except with songs on the radio. I'd be thinking about my best friend, for instance, and then hear a song she loved on the radio. Flip to another station and hear it again, and then again. 3-4 times I'd hear this song, and it's not a new song so not likely to be playing on so many stations at the same time. It always makes me smile.

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;4093740;
    I get what you're saying. Similar things have happened to me, except with songs on the radio. I'd be thinking about my best friend, for instance, and then hear a song she loved on the radio. Flip to another station and hear it again, and then again. 3-4 times I'd hear this song, and it's not a new song so not likely to be playing on so many stations at the same time. It always makes me smile.

EXACTLY. It was just like you said, because I haven't heard of either Julie Andrews or the movie title "Sound of Music" mentioned on the TV at all for the past 20 years, and have not heard them mentioned since that night. It was almost like the TV was answering our trivia question from earlier that day. It really hit me like a ton of bricks.

I know what you mean about songs on the radio. I have heard of friends having that experience. It hasn't happened to me on the radio, but I am now more open to pay attention to things like that.

Thanks for replying. I agree with you, that when things like that become just way too obvious, like hearing the song for the 3rd time in a short amount of time + it not being a common song, that the excuse of "coincidence" is not as likely as something more dear to our heart. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast