+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Stories - Do you have one?

Re: Ghost Stories - Do you have one?

Another story. A long time friend of the family passed away. She lived in a home with her husband who passed on a few years before and raised her 4 children after coming to Canada from Italy. She lived in that home for 50 yrs and it was up for sale. I had heard a couple known to me, coincidently purchased that home. It was comforting to know that a good couple were going to renovate and update the cute little home that was owned by a good friends of my parents.

I ran into her at the grocery store one day, and told her we are so happy that they purchased that home. She started to tell me, from the first night they slept there, they knew the owner was still there. The bedroom light turned on in the middle of the night, but no one was there. They woke up in the morning to find all the cupboard doors open in the kitchen. They would turn off lights, when leaving for the day, and come home to lights being on. About a month later the new owner started to investigate online and learned so much about people passing on and not being able to "get over to the other side". She started talking to her, daily, outloud, convincing her that there is a better place for her, and that they were going to fix up her home and live there for many years, and hopefully raise a family like she did. At that point in time that I ran into her a couple of months had gone by. The first renovation project was the bathroom. As soon as it was complete, there were no more occurances.

It seems the owner stuck around to make sure they would indeed take care of the home, and once she saw some work being done, she decided it was time.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4088586;
    I always thought it would scare me, but I usually get the opposite. A feeling of peace and calm and safe.
    I don't have a personal ghost story, but when I lived alone for the first time I would often have this "experience" in which I'd wake during the night to see a guy standing next to my bed staring down at me. I would look at him, then roll over and go back to sleep. It sounds creepy, but I always felt calm and safe just like you mentioned.

My sister lives in northern VA and her family has experienced "lights on/cabinets opened/things moved while they're gone" several times in their home; she thinks the activity may stem from there being so many battlefield sites in the area. And I have an uncle who doesn't like being in his home alone because he has heard children playing upstairs; he built back on my grandfather's farm, and we know of at least two young people who passed on that property so maybe that's a factor, I don't know, but I do enjoy reading these stories.

The morning my dad died, he had ALS, I was awakened by his voice calling my name, it was 4:30 a.m. Around 5:30, I got the phone call, telling me that he had died. Later my mom was talking about my dad and she told us that it was 4:30 a.m. when my dad had stopped breathing. Over the years, I have been awaken by either his voice calling my name or the phone ringing one time, always at 4:30 a.m. It never scares me, but reassures me that he is still checking in to see how I'm doing.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4088815;
    The morning my dad died, he had ALS, I was awakened by his voice calling my name, it was 4:30 a.m. Around 5:30, I got the phone call, telling me that he had died. Later my mom was talking about my dad and she told us that it was 4:30 a.m. when my dad had stopped breathing. Over the years, I have been awaken by either his voice calling my name or the phone ringing one time, always at 4:30 a.m. It never scares me, but reassures me that he is still checking in to see how I'm doing.
    Again, I have chills. It never ceases to amaze me that family members somehow make their presence known to loved ones after they've passed. I would be greatly comforted if that ever happened to me. My mom and I had such a close relationship and I've never felt her presence in the more than 20 years since she's passed, which greatly saddens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4088878;
    It never ceases to amaze me that family members somehow make their presence known to loved ones after they've passed. I would be greatly comforted if that ever happened to me. My mom and I had such a close relationship and I've never felt her presence in the more than 20 years since she's passed, which greatly saddens me.

I feel that way, too, about both my parents. It's hard sometimes not to feel hurt by the lack of communication. I believe in reincarnation, and have thought that they are probably on to their next incarnation by now, or busy doing spirit work or ?. It's such a complicated topic. I don't think that anyone still here really knows for sure "how it all works".

I believe in talking to them as if they are "still here" and can hear me. Many people probably think that would be crazy. I think their spirits are out there somewhere and we will be reunited when "it's my time to go". Of course, the possibility of them being reincarnated into another lifetime complicates this theory.

I still don't have it all figured out.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

That's an interesting point, Velvet Red. If you do believe in reincarnation in an afterlife, when will you meet those who have gone before you if their souls get reincarnated into other lives, too? Perhaps when all reach the enlightenment of moksha and end the cycle of rebirth, you can join your loved ones who've gone before you.

For me, personally, I think one lifetime is difficult enough. No reincarnation for me, thank you.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4088878;
    Again, I have chills. It never ceases to amaze me that family members somehow make their presence known to loved ones after they've passed. I would be greatly comforted if that ever happened to me. My mom and I had such a close relationship and I've never felt her presence in the more than 20 years since she's passed, which greatly saddens me.
    I never saw my mom after she passed, but I felt her with me frequently for about six months after her funeral. She died from AD, so we really lost her several years before she actually left us. Sometimes, I think she stayed with me so that I'd know she was "whole" again. My dad never once graced me with his presence after he passed in '96. I still feel as if my mom hears me if I speak to her, because sometimes she answers me. But not my dad. He's silent, which is ironic. In life, he was never silent unless he was asleep.

I still miss them very much, too.

ETA: OK, I have to amend the part about my dad. My youngest sibling, Christina, had a dream a couple of years ago. Chris is a nurse, and she interfaced with Dad's doctors, and drove him to appointments. In her dream, she told Dad she'd pick him up at 4:15 for his appointment. Dad said, "No, pick me up at 4:36." The dream Chris said, "We'll be late." Dream Dad said, "4:36."

Can you guess the end of the story?

Chris played 436 in the Pick 3 that day and hit for $4,500. We were all insanely jealous. She was always his favorite.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 10-21-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;4088669;
    Poppy Fields, this thread is right up my alley! as a matter of fact, we just found out John Edward is coming to a city near us in May/11. We had gone a couple of years ago to see him, amazing!

When I was married, years ago, my husband and I built a new home, in a new subdivision that had been forest and cleared for homes. We were the 2nd home in the subdivision. It had a wooden curved staircase that led to the 2nd floor, where the bedrooms and bathrooms were located. He at the time was apprenticing to be an electrician, and the job he was at took him out of town for the week, gone Monday mornings, back home Friday night. I've never been one to be afraid to stay home alone, so here I was in my early 20's in this huge 2500 sq foot home.

I was sleeping, one early morning mid week, hubby was gone, I was awoken by a noise, it was around 6:30am. You know how you're sleeping and hear something,and you practically stop breathing so you can somehow hear "louder". It was a distinct shuffle of foot steps coming up the stairs. I laid there, wide awake, listening to the footsteps, I sat up, and as clear as can be, there was a white figure, with a top coat, and a top hat, no face, I yelled, who are you, what do you want, I watched it vanish into thin air right before my eyes. The crazy thing about all this, I've worn glasses since the 5th grade for far sightedness. At the time I was wearing contacts, however I took them out every night, therefore how could I see this figure so clearly?

My father passed away 10 yrs before that, but I don't think it was him. This gentleman was clearly from the 1800's or early 1900's. I tried to get information on the subdivision, but couldn't find anything other than it was just a forest.
    Spirits can be attached to the land or a piece of furniture. Did you have any antiques in the house?

My dad knew of a case of a new house where the sightings and stuff involved the bathroom. Toilet flushing all the time, water running. The plumber and contractor had been out to check it out and nothing wrong. Well the contractor finally fessed up that when they dug the footers, they found what had been a small Indian Burial Mound (that's supposed to be reported so it can be properly moved and preserved, but it holds up building). So they think that the Indians were fascinated by running water.

ETA: I talk to my relatives. The night my mom, grandmother and aunt all told me they loved me, I had been in bed crying and asking my mom outloud, why she had to leave me and how much I needed her at that time. (she's been gone 9 years) and that's when I heard the 3 of them tell me they loved me.

And earlier this fall, I put some of my dad's ashes on the field in Gainesville, where he now is right next to the Gator bench for all future games in The Swamp. And I told him I was going to do it and I told him when I did it to have fun and now after each home game I watch on tv, I will say: "Well dad, we won again" or more recently: "Dad, start whispering in the coaches ear and tell him to do______"
    Last edited by MRD; 10-21-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

GuardianAngel and hepcat, I have goosebumps! It seems you have both experienced true hauntings.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 10-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4088458;
    The day before Hurricane Charley hit here I was walking into the dining room and I felt someone come stand next to me, so close our shoulders were touching. I thought it was my daughter who was 12 at the time, but no one was there. I clearly heard my mom say: "you're going to be alright".
    Right after that, my daughter came from the back of the house and asked me what I wanted. I said "nothing, why?" and she said: "but you came in and put your hand on my shoulder". I had not been near the back of the house.

Both things happened within seconds of each other.

That day, the hurricane was still expected to hit 90 miles North of us. It wasn't until the next afternoon that the storm turned SUDDENLY and unexpectedly and came in over us. We lost power, but we had NO damage to the house. We didn't even have branches or trash in our yard. Most of our neighbors and friends were not that lucky. We were indeed ok and my mom told me we would be.

I have several others as well.
    Your story of your mom and the hurricane reminds me of the lore and faith convictions of many cultures (especially the Japanese) which aver that our ancestors, especially our near ancestors, protect us in times of grave danger. It's stunning that, despite the predictions, you were in the storm's path and your were OK, as your mom said you would be!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast