+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping SOS Please Help!

Shopping SOS Please Help!

In my real life, I am an attorney, but because of health issues I have been out of the work force for quite some time. Last time I bought clothes, I was size 18, now I am a size 12. However, while I was on hiatus, the standard of what is "semi-formal-corporate" seems to have changed a bit while I was gone.

So, I managed to find a couple of black pantsuits (Hey, they have pinstripes!). I think they will work with my wheelchair and from what I have heard from my colleagues in the field, standards may have relaxed enough that the court won't be offended by my attire. We lawyers are a wickedly fashion-forward bunch. My problem is finding something to wear underneath. I would like a plum, burgundy or mauve tank, camisole or shell.

I really like the Halogen (R) Burnout Satin Tank in Plum (don't know if I can link here) but it's at Nordstrom for $58 That's a lot for a 1/4 yard of fabric. I am taking this case pro-bono and I simply cannot afford to spend that much.

Do any of you on-line shopping gurus have any great ideas for me?
    ~Mary Esq

Brandon (21) Justin (7) (nope, not a typo)
    B needs positive thoughts and prayers for the MCAT
    J would like to have a pen pal

FORT Fogey

Re: Shopping SOS Please Help!

You are right!! $58 is a bit much for a camisole. Have you tried Macy's online, or web sites for some of the other stores that are not so outrageous as you state Nordstrom's is. Kohl's is another site to try. Hope this helps.

MRD

Target. When it's worn under a suit, no one can tell if it came from Nordstroms or Target.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've always loved the tanks at Old Navy. They fit great, there's a good selection of styles and they are completely affordable.

Gap.com

This may not be your cup of tea, but I buy quite a few clothes on ebay. I just plug in my size (unusually large, hence the preference for ebay - all kinds of stuff on there) in Women's Clothing, sometimes the specific description of what I'm looking for (usually "sheer" - I wear a lot of sheer blouses over tank dresses), and hundreds of items pop up, usually at a really good price and frequently new with tags.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I'm pretty sure Coldwater Creek is still running a 50% off sale on their website. They usually have fantastic deals in their outlet section, but everything on the site is 50% off right now. If memory serves, the sale ends today! I've gotten great deals in their outlet. One of my favorite sweaters from them cost me $25 and it was originally $98.50!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have found some nice, cheap things at GoodWill lately. They sort everything by color to make it easier to find things. Good luck!

Don't laugh but Forever 21 has camis for $3.50 in just about every shade in the rainbow.

Thank you so much for all of your tips! It looks like I will be busy online tonight.
    ~Mary Esq

Brandon (21) Justin (7) (nope, not a typo)
    B needs positive thoughts and prayers for the MCAT
    J would like to have a pen pal

Critical, I love Coldwater Creek too; I have gotten some huge deals from the outlet!

Mary, also check Avenue.com, it's for size 14 and up; they also have a good outlet, and have a lot of clothes you could wear to work.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast