+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hate PopUps?

Hate PopUps?

ok, i've been trying out this program since 9am this morning called (don't laugh) "Ad Muncher 4.4" (okay, laugh if you must) and i have to say, it's AWESOME!!!

i'm going to sites i've always gone to that have inundated me with banners and popups, and since downloading this program... NO POPUPS!!! it's awesome!!!

here's the description:
    From the developer: "Ad Muncher is a program for Windows systems which removes adverts, popups and general browsing annoyances from all popular browsers and web-utilizing programs (as well as most banner displaying and popup generating programs like ICQ, Morpheus, Kazaa, Grokster, Opera, iMesh, Bearshare, LimeWire, etc)."
    i got it from www.downloads.com, and out of the 30 people that have downloaded it and remarked on it, 100% have given it a !!

here's the link if you are interested:
    http://download.com.com/3000-2381-10...ml?tag=lst-3-1

That is so cool. i bet there will be something to combat it any day now. Until then; enjoy your ad free world.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

definitely worth the download. took about 5 seconds to download on my machine.

The only problem with no popups is that they'll just come out with a sneakier way to get around it. After all, the advertisers are paying them to display the ads, even if you close them. But not displaying them = no revenue at all.

John,
    I was thinkning about that too. I think I will put off downloading that program...esp since you promised no pop-ups.

john... are you vying for the adverts?

i think they've already gotten sneaky with spyware.

you don't think that the software still somehow leads the pop up advertisers to believe that the popups are still happening?

i dunno...i just know that with alllllll the surfing i do, it's nice not to have a popup ad. run a marquee across the top of my screen, that's fine. but i hate when the boxes cover up the page at which i am actually looking. and on more than one occasion, i have closed the page i had searched for by accident when closing the plethora of popups.

POWER to the people!

I do not like that either Sher. That is why I will not return to a site with pop-ups. Everyone knows they are annoying and if they do not want my visit to their site to be pleasant then they do not want me to visit.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I think one pop-under (behind your active window), one time per site, is acceptable. I won't ever do it, but I don't mind sites that do. I understand that for a lot of sites, this is the only way they stay in business - and for me, the more sites that stay in business, the better the internet is.

Pop-ups came into wide use when people stopped clicking on 486x60 banners (like I have at the top of the pages). When people start avoiding pop-ups, they'll come up with something even more annoying to get you.

My advice: support your small, ad-supported sites by clicking on a banner now and then. Most get paid just for a click, you don't even have to buy anything, unless you want. If you do this with, for example, 486x60 ads, and not pop-ups, then pretty soon advertisers will want more 486x60 ads and less pop-ups.

It's kind of a vicious circle, and I hate to think what the next "big thing" in advertising is going to be, when people start defeating popups.

Just for the sake of expanding knowledge, a "normal" rate for a 486x60 ad is about $1.00 per 1,000 impressions (CPM), or $.20 per click (CPC). For a pop-up, those numbers approximately double. And there's no more work involved for a publisher (me), and in fact it doesn't have to be "designed into" a page, like my banner does.

Also, I don't get paid if you click on the next page before my banner appears...But with a popup, I'd get paid, because it's going to pop up anyway, even if you've already clicked away. So, as a publisher, I currently lose about 2/3 of my possible banner impressions because people click too quickly. By switching to a pop-under ad scheme, I could make approximately 6 times what I make now.

If I had any profit motive at all, I'd switch in a heartbeat. But, I don't...All I want to do is recover my monthly costs, and this is approximately doing that.

i like your explanations. you would make a good teacher. i will make it a point to click on a banner on purpose every now and then. i do it accidentally all the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast