+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help spread autism awareness

FORT Newbie

Help spread autism awareness

Just wanted to help spread awareness for autism! 1 in 110 children have autism...help spread awareness and acceptance by passing this video on to those who believe in a brighter future for children with autism. Thanks!!

YouTube - PUZZLE DANCE FOR AUTISM AWARENESS

FORT Fogey

Re: Help spread autism awareness

Thanks for posting this. This is such a sad condition and hopefully through research and understanding a cure can be found.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3877081;
    Thanks for posting this. This is such a sad condition and hopefully through research and understanding a cure can be found.
    Thanks so much! Every view counts. Our goal is to get to 1 million views in order to create more awareness and acceptance. You are right, its a tragic condition to happen to a young child, but I hope and believe in their future.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I have recently met a "high-functioning" autistic man. We met about 5 or 6 months ago. I knew he was different from the others in our group, I assumed he was just socially awkward. I didn't know he was autistic until he told me. He is very focused on his career (IT) - and about 90% of our conversations revolve around that.

Naturally, our social life together is limited. He says he is almost agoraphobic. He goes to work and to my house. He just turned 31 this month, and confided to me that he's never really had a birthday party. I've decided to give him one - of course a small one. Just the two of us, a little bit of decoration and a cake or whatever treat he wants. It makes me sad that no one considered him worthy of a birthday party before.

Most of our conversations are electronic - that is his preference. I need to get a new cell phone with a qwerty keyboard so I can keep up with his texts! I'm used to e-conversations being sarcastic and/or humorous - however my friend's statements are usually straight forward and he doesn't understand why I sometimes laugh at his comments. He sometimes will start a conversation with a random comment. I think I'm learning how to "read" him better. Fortunately, he is patient with me while I learn his personality. He's also very smart. His IQ is practically off the charts - genius.

I found this interesting: He works in a fairly large office as the only IT person. Some of the other employees have assumed he is gay since he doesn't notice or pay attention to the ladies in the office. Of course the reason he doesn't pay attention to them is because his focus is so narrow, he's thinking about the problem he is about to fix. He doesn't notice the surroundings. And I've never heard him make a negative comment about anyone. (How refreshing!)

He is definitely one of the most pleasant and interesting people I've ever met.

Sounds like that young man has made an excellent friend in you J.D. His friendship with you will benefit him greatly!
    CYA

Is he an Aspie?

People with autism/Aspergers are often misunderstood.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

The words he used are "high-functioning autistic". I don't know nearly enough about it to know the difference, so I just use the terms he gives me. But he is definitely extremely interesting. And if anyone wants comments on the differences between Mac and PCs - just ask, I've learned all about them!

FORT Fogey

J.D. -- I only "met" you on the fun and games threads yesterday, but I have read your posts here and just wanted to say how impressed I am with your kindness and consideration of this man. I wish there were more understanding people in the world like you.

So many have such a narrow focus for interacting with people who have disabilities. We need to step back and remember everyone is a human being, with problems and foibles, and none of us is immune.

My son grew up with a mild disability, which he overcame, and part of his recovery was understanding and kindness from his teachers, friends, and others in his life.

You are a very special person.

Hi friends! I am very interested in autism. I suspect that my nephew is autistic, but my sister won't even consider the possibility. My nephew just turned four, and I have suspected he's autistic since he was two. I love him and want what's best for him. I'm hoping that when he is evaluated for school (in the coming year), a professional will talk to my sister about his development.

+ Reply to Thread