+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Buzz Words You're Tired of Hearing

Re: Buzz Words You're Tired of Hearing

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3759003;

And when I have to write papers for school, I am exceedingly correct, but you should hear the profs complain about the language and usage that some of these college students use. I think that my grades have been elevated by one prof in particular as I haven't really put a lot of effort into the papers I've turned in for him, but compared to what he's getting from the rest of the class, I apparantly write like Shakespeare. So in comparison, I've gotten much higher grades than I think I deserve. But I'm not going to complain. The classes I consider "important" are getting much better work out of me.

But from what I see and hear around a college campus, I really do have to wonder just what is being taught in high school these days.

cause it sure ain't good talk.

And here's another one: New and Improved.

Is it new? or is it improved? Because I'm pretty sure it can't be both.
    Usually, it's neither Same old thing in new packaging.

When I was in school, friends used to ask me to edit their papers for grammar. I always thought that was pretty funny-- usually you don't ask the math major to edit your papers! My middle and high school English teachers beat the rules of grammar and proper punctuation into me, so despite not taking any English in college, I was still the editor for my friends!

Oh, and misuse of your/you're is another increasingly common mistake that makes me crazy. I want to go over friends' facebook walls with red ink sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3758997;
    Today is Sunday and that reminded me of another one. When someone is making a comparison using "than," and he adds "what" right after, it makes me crazy. For example: "This recipe made more mashed potatoes than what I was expecting." You don't need the what!!

Troy Aikman is a frequent offender of this.
    Actually, "what" or "that which" are correct in this case. Without the pronoun "what" or pronoun phrase "that which," the comparative coordinating conjunction "than" incorrectly joins a noun in the objective case (potatoes) with an independent clause ("what I was expecting"). The conjunction "than" requires a noun or pronoun in the objective case for the sentence to be grammatically correct in standard English.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

What bothers me, like, more than, like, anything, is, like, when, you know, people, like, have to keep inserting the word "like", at least, like, 40 times in every sentence.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3759029;
    What bothers me, like, more than, like, anything, is, like, when, you know, people, like, have to keep inserting the word "like", at least, like, 40 times in every sentence.
    Yeah, like, when you, like, work with, like, middle schoolers, like, y'know. Like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3759023;
    Actually, "what" or "that which" are correct in this case. Without the pronoun "what" or pronoun phrase "that which," the comparative coordinating conjunction "than" incorrectly joins a noun in the objective case (potatoes) with an independent clause ("I was expecting"). The conjunction "than" requires a noun or pronoun in the objective case for the sentence to be grammatically correct in standard English.
    Forgot to add:
    In colloquial English, of course, the relative pronoun or subordinating conjunction can be left out that is, implied or understood but it's not incorrect to include it in the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3759169;
    Forgot to add:
    In colloquial English, of course, the relative pronoun or subordinating conjunction can be left out that is, implied or understood but it's not incorrect to include it in the sentence.
    Interesting. For some reason, "what" bothers me when I hear it but "that which" doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3759207;
    Interesting. For some reason, "what" bothers me when I hear it but "that which" doesn't.
    "That which" is classier!
    (Actually, it's the more standard expression -- at least for writing.)

OK, I think the old Grammar Thread has risen from the grave yet again--where is it?

I too am sick of hearing "Let's do lunch" or "I don't do asparagus."

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3759003;
    But from what I see and hear around a college campus, I really do have to wonder just what is being taught in high school these days.
    cause it sure ain't good talk.
    Apparently, everyone is required to take a whole lot of math these days--or so it seems when checking course catalogs, and seeing that even the least little tech certificate requires passing College Algebra, at minimum.
    Last edited by queenb; 11-30-2009 at 05:37 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

"Cyber Monday." What is this madness?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3759542;
    "Cyber Monday." What is this madness?

Apparently this is the cyber version of Black Friday. Supposed to be the day when most gift-ordering is done by computer. Can you spell h-y-p-e???

+ Reply to Thread