+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Buzz Words You're Tired of Hearing

Re: Buzz Words You're Tired of Hearing

I don't know if this is considered a buzzword, but just before I was logging in to FORT I was thinking to myself how much I dislike the overuse of the word Migraine. I think they've become "trendy." I'm sick and tired of people I know mislableing their headaches as Migraines just because they're very severe or last a long time. Pardon my rant (I will preface that this is only from my own experience) If you're at work moaning and complaining about your Migraine, it's NOT a migraine. If you're sitting on Myspace, facebook etc updating your status, then being commented to, then responding to the comments about- your migraine. IT'S NOT A MIGRAINE. Calling your headache a migraine does a disservice to true migraine sufferers on many levels. Please stop it.

Here's a nice little rant I found that pretty much says that. Every Headache is NOT a Migraine! - What Should You Know About Migraine Pain - Epinions.com
    And this little darling here is just full of handy info: Migraines: Myth Vs. Reality

Ok /rant
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I totally agree with you ClosetNerd. I used to work with a woman who would always complain about having a migraine for days at a time. My son gets migraines and when he does, he doesn't function until it is gone. He can't tolerate light or sound, he often vomits, and the migraine sometimes even affects his sight. It's a horrible thing for anyone to have, and I completely understand how anyone who suffers from them would be irritated by someone using the term for a regular headache, no matter how painful it may happen to be.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"at the end of the day..." I remember the first time I heard this phrase used. It was by Dr. Will Kirby at the end of BB All-stars.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;3758636;
    "threw him under the bus". Used in Big Brother a lot!

Also used a lot in discussing the Bachelor.

It is what it is. Another phrase used to death on reality shows.

I also hate people using the word "sexy" to describe things and not people. That dish is sexy, that issue just isn't sexy, etc.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3758669;
    It is what it is.
    My husband has learned that if he uses this, I can potentially hurt him.

Same with "Whatever" and "I don't care" when it comes to asking his input in a decision.

My husband in particular grits his teeth and has to punch a wall when people use abbreviations, such as:

Za - pizza
    Hilar - Hilarious (Starting Over, remember that one?)
    Vacay - vacation
    G-Rap - a Michigan-particular one referring to Grand Rapids
    NatGeo - National Geographic
    The Henry Ford - This is how they are now referring to the various area attractions related to the Henry Ford estate & related things, such as Greenfield Village, The Henry Ford Museum, etc.

In general, I can't deal with text speak. I do use "LOL." But I've been typing at over 100 wpm for a couple decades now. I have to put more work into shortening "thank you" to "TY" or "You're very welcome" into "YVM". I hate 2 used for to & too, ur for your, r for are, etc. I hate seeing it used, and am glad it's frowned upon here at FORT.

To that end, let's add "text me." I don't text.

I.
    Don't.
    Text.

I don't even have the service on my phone.

Ok. I need to stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3758684;
    My husband in particular grits his teeth and has to punch a wall when people use abbreviations, such as:

Za - pizza
    Hilar - Hilarious (Starting Over, remember that one?)
    Vacay - vacation
    Ooooh, I hate these as well. 'Shrooms, 'rents, evs (which is the short form of the much despised "whatever"). I particularly hate that people think that they're "cool" when they use them. They may very well be cool, so apparently coolness is idiotic. I can almost accept LA for Los Angeles or Vegas for Las Vegas, but that is it. No one here refers to our city as TO, or T-Dot, and I just cringe hearing it elsewhere as much as the residents of San Francisco must cringe at hearing Frisco.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I have to admit that it took me the longest time to figure out what the heck "'rents" meant when I'd see it on places like Facebook.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The use of "no problem" when good manners dictate that you say, "You're welcome"
    'My bad" for my mistake or error. I think I used "my bad" when I was 5 years old. I certainly won't use it now.
    "Dude" as in First dude or in any case where it just seems like one is trying way too hard to be cool and hip.

If you're cool and hip and smart, you realize that language should not make you appear dumb; it should make you appear well read, cultured and civilized.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 11-28-2009 at 04:46 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I don't know if this counts so much as a "buzz word" (since it's a phrase): ". . . and that's what it's all about." We have a local TV station, KUSI, with the local morning news program, "Good Morning, San Diego." They cover some national stuff, very little international stuff, and a lot of local stuff, including all the stupid stuff like dog-costume contests, walk/runs for [fill in the blank], bake sales, lemonade stands, every time a navy ship enters or leaves port, someone sneezes -- you get the picture. So the reporter chats it up, blah blah blah, someone wipes away a tear, and the reporter gets in front of the camera and says, "And that's what it's really all about."

Hmm. Dog-costume contest. Yeah, that's what life is all about. No, wait -- I thought yesterday's bake sale was what life is all about. The phrase has lost its meaning.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread