+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Buzz Words You're Tired of Hearing

Re: Buzz Words You're Tired of Hearing

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3769036;
    "darling husband"... but, I suppose, depending on your mood, you could substitute another "d" word
    . . . or "dear husband" -- but "darling" is cuter. In some other settings, it's also "Desperate Housewives." But I never thought of the "another d-word"! Now I'm gonna giggle whenever I see "DH" again!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3768131;
    I hate it when people use "viola" when they mean "voila." I've never been able to figure out if they're trying to be funny or if they just don't know how to spell the word. For that matter, I hate it when people use "wah-la" when they mean "voila."
    I thought of this thread today because I've never noticed using "viola" before and now I see it a lot on the internet. I guess I didn't even parse that they were going for "voila". We should start a meme where we use "voici" all the time to cancel out all the violas out there.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3768131;
    I hate it when people use "viola" when they mean "voila." I've never been able to figure out if they're trying to be funny or if they just don't know how to spell the word. For that matter, I hate it when people use "wah-la" when they mean "voila."
    I studied French and played the viola, and for those reasons, I find this one particularly bothersome too.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2;3768299;
    I hate this too. It screams of ignorance to me.

Also, when people write that something peaked their interest. Uh no. That's piqued. Learn to spell!!!!!!
    You've just reminded me of one of my biggest pet peeves: when people say that something "phases" them, when they mean that it "fazes" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3769743;
    You've just reminded me of one of my biggest pet peeves: when people say that something "phases" them, when they mean that it "fazes" them.
    This one has been irking the hell out of me lately - it has become very popular for some reason. Why, oh why, do people not make better (or any) use of the dictionary. Throughout my life, since I first learned to read (books being where I learned the difference between "phase" and "faze"), if I encountered a word I did not understand, I looked it up. And with all these people typing the word "phase" erroneously on various internet sites, you know that they are only one tiny click away from any number of resources - almost no effort at all.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

when people say that something "phases" them, when they mean that it "fazes" them.
    Tell them next time, they should set their "phaser" on "Stun"
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3769896;
    Why, oh why, do people not make better (or any) use of the dictionary. .
    Because they already know everything.
    Even worse, when the same people do these a million times, and you finally point it out (only when the offender is, by their own estimate, about three times as smart as the average bear) the inevitable response is "Oh! I know that. It's just a typo. "
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Oh! I remembered the other one that really bugs me. It makes me crazy when people talk about their exercise "regime." It's regimen....unless you're planning to start your own government at the gym!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2;3769907;
    Tell them next time, they should set their "phaser" on "Stun"
    Love your answer. Are you a Trekker like me??

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3771019;
    Love your answer. Are you a Trekker like me??
    Live long and prosper!

-which is the response to the Vulcan "Peace and long life". Leonard Nemoy took the hand symbol and mirror greeting and response from a Hebrew tradition he observed as a child. The Vulcan hand symbol, when mirrored by the other hand with thumbs touching, creates the Hebrew letter "shin" - Almighty God. In ancient Egypt, they also had a common greeting, "May he (or you) live long and prosper and be in good health."
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 12-17-2009 at 04:33 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Here's something I've been hearing lately that is starting to urk me.

People ask a question, followed by their own answer, then another question, and another answer. Would you like to just have your own conversation with yourself?

Ex.

Would I like to go there again? NO Would I like to see those people again? No Would I go in the future, sure I'll go.

+ Reply to Thread