+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Buzz Words You're Tired of Hearing

Re: Buzz Words You're Tired of Hearing

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3762632;
    Every time I see the initials DH, I think of designated hitter. And I'm not even a baseball fan.
    Ugh, "DH" is flat out irritating imo.
    I hate home people in North America say "anyways" and "hysterical" when they think something is really funny. My people just don't use "hysterical" in that manner and I find it annoying
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'm not a fan of the word "anyhoo" (instead of anyway or anyhow).

Quote Originally Posted by rgw718;3767869;
    I can't stand hearing Gordon Ramsey calling someone a "donkey" on Hell's Kitchen.
    It strikes me as a euphemism, though maybe that's just how it sounds to my U.S. American ears. He should just go ahead and say "ass" or "arse" (if that's what he's thinking), as that's allowed on TV anyway. It's not as though he uses euphemisms for anything else . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I hate it when people use "viola" when they mean "voila." I've never been able to figure out if they're trying to be funny or if they just don't know how to spell the word. For that matter, I hate it when people use "wah-la" when they mean "voila."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3768131;
    I hate it when people use "viola" when they mean "voila." I've never been able to figure out if they're trying to be funny or if they just don't know how to spell the word. For that matter, I hate it when people use "wah-la" when they mean "voila."
    It bugs the hell out of me, too. (I double majored in French and German, and used to teach both before switching to teaching ESL.) If you're ever feeling particularly masochistic, watch the Paula Deen special when she and her husband eat and mispronounce their way through France. Ugggghhhh!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3768131;
    I hate this too. It screams of ignorance to me.

Also, when people write that something peaked their interest. Uh no. That's piqued. Learn to spell!!!!!!
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3767898;
    Ugh, "DH" is flat out irritating imo.
    I hate home people in North America say "anyways" and "hysterical" when they think something is really funny. My people just don't use "hysterical" in that manner and I find it annoying
    On this side of the pond, I really don't care for how your people use "brilliant" to describe things that quite categorically are not brilliant.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I thought of this thread when I read this article. I'm sure we can all relate to at least some of these...

Today's 10 Worst Phrases to Use in Business
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

what does "dh" stand for?

"darling husband"... but, I suppose, depending on your mood, you could substitute another "d" word
    We're all just walking each other home. ~ Ram Dass

+ Reply to Thread