+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding Politically Charged Conversations

FORT Newbie

Avoiding Politically Charged Conversations

A friend of mine can turn any opportunity into an angry conversation or lecture about her political beliefs and anything else is foolish or wrong. I've asked her not to send these e-mails or to stay away from political conversations. (It does not matter which Political Party is in office) I have had to limit my interactions. Any other suggestions?

MRD

Re: Avoiding Politically Charged Conversations

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless;3756564;
    A friend of mine can turn any opportunity into an angry conversation or lecture about her political beliefs and anything else is foolish or wrong. I've asked her not to send these e-mails or to stay away from political conversations. (It does not matter which Political Party is in office) I have had to limit my interactions. Any other suggestions?
    What I've done is this:
    "My mother always told me not to talk politics, religion or money in polite company. I've found she was not only right, but brilliant as those 3 subjects just seem to always be controversial. So, what are YOUR plans for the weekend?"
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie

She's been told many times, but she'll say "this is not political . . ." I think I just have to get creative in changing the subject because she is not going to change! This weekend I'm staying away from the stores and airports! I hope you enjoy your holiday and polite conversation

My Dad and I have very different political leanings, and he is one of those people who love to argue just for the sake of having a good argument. I, on the other hand, tend to get emotionally involved in the discussion, particularly if it is something I believe strongly in and he is WRONG, in my opinion. What I have to do now is just deliberately and obviously change the subject. He will try to keep things going, but if I get up to get something, ask someone else a question, or just start talking about something else, he ends up getting the hint. Saves my sanity a lot of times, because I would find it just too emotionally upsetting to keep going around and around with someone who seemed to enjoy getting me riled up. If you change the subject and the person still tries to pursue it, then you are within your rights to say "I'm afraid I don't feel like discussing this with you...so...what else is new with you?"

FORT Newbie

The part about just for the sake of an argument is so true. I can change the subject pretty well when there are others around. So I try to avoid being alone. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.suggestions!

It happens on this site also. I was lucky my bf's husband was one of those, I asked nicely and he took me off his political list.
    There's no place like home!

Any chance you could end it with a "we can just agree to disagree"?

FORT Fogey

I used to get a lot of politically charged e-mails from a dear friend of long standing. I told her in an e-mail that I did not read that kind of material and she could save the keystroke of putting my name on the list. She was fine with that and our friendship continues. Of course there is always the "delete" key if you don't want to get into a big discussion over it.

Whatever works is different in each relationship. Hope you find an acceptable solution for both of you.

MRD

I like to discuss politics, BUT, I know who I can and can't do it with. And it's not something I talk about all the time (some of you are saying: yeah right), but actually, I don't. There are those that in person, I refuse to discuss politics with. We fortunately have other things in common and we know to stick to those subjects.

I think if someone kept up a subject with me and was argumentative about it, I'd try to be polite at first, try to change the subject., but then finally I would have to say: "I really don't care to discuss this further, can we move on". I had to do that with a co-worker who was constantly baiting me at work and I do not discuss politics at work EVER. When she told a perfect stranger my political affiliation, I stepped in and was very firm and told her that it was my business to tell people what I'm registered as, not hers and to please not do it again. When she starts those conversations, I don't take the bait either. After telling her to please stop, she finally got the hint, BUT it hurt her feelings and now she barely speaks to me. Oh well. Work is NOT the place for those kinds of discussions in my opinion. And IF I want someone to know how I vote, I'll tell them. People are very politically charged in this area and will not speak to you if you are in a different party. Which is why at work, dealing with the public like I do, I don't think it's our customers business who I vote for.

Not everything in life has to be about politics. (again, some of you are probably now rolling on the floor clutching your sides). I can discuss lots of other topics.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Work is not the place for any discussion outside of work and Brrr cold outside. I discuss religion, politics and sex with NO ONE. I don't even rise to the "who did you vote for bait" - My answer is always I do not discuss politics.. Especially my family.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast