+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veteran's Day 2009

MRD

Re: Veteran's Day 2009

The American Legion and the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) sell poppies. The money goes to help Veterans and their families.

I learned "In Flanders Field" But don't think they still teach it as they seem not to teach a lot of stuff I had to learn back when we rode dinosaurs to school.

I have heard of a group protesting the selling of poppies here for Veteran's Day because the Afganies use poppies to produce opium and finance their terrorism and war activities against the US. I thought to myself: "PLEASE, do you not know the significance of WHY they sell poppies here?" And apparantly they did not know about the poem.

It was called Armistice Day here until after the Korean War when they decided to remember all Vets and not just the ones from WWI.
    The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. I will never forget learning that either.

ETA: My family started a tradition of saving Newspapers and I have a trunk full. The oldest one has the headline: Armistice Declared and is dated Nov. 12, 1918, the day after. I have VE and VJ day newspapers too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Re: Veteran's Day 2009

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial. It is the soldier, not the politician, who has given us the right to vote. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag.

Please remember all the men and women who have served and are serving to protect our country on this special day
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12