+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2009

Holidays 2009

Since we are now less than three months away (and most stores will put their Christmas offerings out soon, with some already out), it's time to start thinking about the holidays. I used holidays, because I know not everybody celebrates Christmas, and I am all for people observing whatever holidays they want to.

So what are you giving this year? What are you hoping for? What songs do you not want to hear on repeat at the mall? And what do you love to eat for the holidays?

This year, I'm hoping to have found a job, and if I have, I am doing a giftcard plus a thing-just one, as we don't need as many material things. For my dad, I am doing a Panera giftcard, and if money allows, a Kegerator with a keg of his favourite beer. For my mum, I am doing a gift card for Half Price Books (because we go there all the time and raid the $1 clearance section) and then a few pieces of MAC. For my younger brother, I am getting him a gift card for Barnes & Noble, and then a few comedy books as well-he likes a good laugh. For the relatives in our family, we're probably going to stick to gift cards, and maybe a tray of baked goods. As for what I want? There's a few main things-I love my MAC, giftcards to my favourite restaurants are nice, but what I really want is an authentic sari or a salwar suit-preferrably in yellow or orange.

I definitely don't want to hear any Christmas songs done by popstars, as I prefer the traditional stuff that can be found in a book of Christmas carols.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Re: Holidays 2009

Right now I'm saying what I say every year - I'm keeping things simple and not going overboard. Ask me Dec. 24 how that went.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Gutmutter, I am the same. We'll see how it goes.
    I already started shopping back in July, which I never do. But I've found some great sales and I figure I'm going to spend the $ anyway, better to spread it out over my budget for several months, than to try to do it all at once. We do NOT charge Christmas. It is strictly pay as you go and has been for a while. So I think spreading it out is going to make it easier. And like I said, I hit some great sales.

I want books for Christmas which is all I ever want. And maybe, possibly, I can't believe I'm even saying this, but maybe a smart phone.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have a million things to get through before I think of the holidays. I just can't process this now at all.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3713965;
    Gutmutter, I am the same. We'll see how it goes.
    I already started shopping back in July, which I never do. But I've found some great sales and I figure I'm going to spend the $ anyway, better to spread it out over my budget for several months, than to try to do it all at once. We do NOT charge Christmas. It is strictly pay as you go and has been for a while. So I think spreading it out is going to make it easier. And like I said, I hit some great sales.

I want books for Christmas which is all I ever want. And maybe, possibly, I can't believe I'm even saying this, but maybe a smart phone.
    That's the best way to go, to me-do it over several months, so that people get what they want, and pay as you go.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Christmas? What's that? The big day that pops up two seconds after the smoke clears from the last of lessons and the last-minute proofreading/copy-editing gigs?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I haven't decided what I want-- I can never think of anything. Last year, that ended up working out nicely as my parents got me, among other things, a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and a Cuisinart Mini Prep chopper thingy. Oh, and my Blackberry.

I'm contemplating asking for a Wii Fit, or some similar exercisey game for those inevitable January weekends when I really don't feel like walking to the gym.

As for my family, I'm going to go to Paris for a long weekend in December like I did last year, so I imagine I'll do most of my shopping there. Mom loves all things French, so that should be easy.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Sigh.

I will probably have moved away from Michigan and my family by then, and missing them terribly. :/

My husband would like to fly me to Michigan from Minnesota, but we'll see how finances go after we move. I'd fly in a couple days before Christmas Eve, celebrate that day with them (my family has always celebrated on the eve), and fly home that evening to spend Christmas Day with my husband and his side of the family.

We'll see.

The only pre-shopping I've done was at the dollar store. I saw sets of 3 emory boards that together have famous paintings... lots of choices - the scream, Degas ballerinas, Van Gogh sunflowers, Monet waterlilies, etc. Everyone needs fingernail files.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3714650;
    The only pre-shopping I've done was at the dollar store. I saw sets of 3 emory boards that together have famous paintings... lots of choices - the scream, Degas ballerinas, Van Gogh sunflowers, Monet waterlilies, etc. Everyone needs fingernail files.
    Oh cool, I'm going to go look. Yep, great stocking stuffers those fingernail files.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast