+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dress/shoes/color & jewelry question

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Dress/shoes/color & jewelry question

I've posted a little here and there about this formal wedding reception coming this Saturday. I had to scrap my original maroon dress because it looked terrible on me once I added a corset back (see the "troubles" thread if you want details).

But I lucked out - MAJORLY - and got another dress right away.

The question I have is what would be a good color shoes to wear with it? At this point, I do not have the money nor time to have a pair custom-dyed to match the dress. I did a little thrift store hunting today to try to find shoes in the same color or a light-colored satin pair I could dye myself (I'm pretty good at that). No luck thusfar, though I have a lot of stores to search tomorrow.

I had already bought black shoes & a black purse to go with the maroon dress, into which I had put a black satin corset back. I was going to wear a black satin wrap with that to pull everything together. Now, with this dress, I already have a wrap that matches the dress, and I'm really not sure what to do about shoes. The dress has beaded flowers at the bustline, and the beads are the same color as the dress but with an aurora borealis finish.

The dress itself can be seen here. It should come up in Apple Red, the actual color of the dress.

Also, with the other dress I was going to wear, which can be seen here, I was going to go very 40's. Grace Kelly finger-waved hair, rhinestone choker & matching dangly earrings. With THIS dress, I'm admittedly flummoxed. I have no clue what to do. I don't want to clash with the beadwork at the underbust.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I've got short time. If I don't find something by Tuesday evening, I'm going with the black because I have to hem the dress and don't want to save it until the last minute.

Re: Dress/shoes/color & jewelry question

Have you thought about silver shoes?

I think silver shoes would look awesome also.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here's what I would do:

Because the beadwork is very similar to the colour of the dress, you can go a little more elaborate on accessories, but on one area. If you do a statement necklace, keep the earrings to a little gold or silver hoop or to a clear-stoned stud. If you go for elaborate earrings, keep the neck bare-you don't want to detract. The one exception is if you have a nicer small gold or silver pendant. I wouldn't go for a bracelet, though, because it's too close to the beaded detailing and you want the beadwork to stand out. If you have any ruby or garnet jewelry, or synthetic, wear that-wear it to match the dress.

As far as shoes and a bag go, black goes with everything. Keep them fairly unembellished, although you could go for a little accent on the vamp of the black shoe. If there is a way that you can add a red accent to your purse, I would do so-it would tie everything together.

Also, don't do a red lip-it would be too "Match Much?". I would instead go for a pinky-toned coral, or an MLBB (My Lips But Better) shade, and then do a nice champagne eye with copper accents.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I was going to suggest silver, too, for shoes and jewelry, even the wrap. Not sure if you are into lame' for the wrap, maybe too glammy? There is also what I call "faerie wing material", not sure of its real name. You know the gauzy material, sometimes in single metallic colors, or multi-metallic colors, with or without silver (or gold). If lame' is too much, maybe faerie wing material of red with silver.

So ditto on gold with the red.

ETA: I forgot about the beadwork on the dress, probably because I can't see it in the photo.
    Last edited by VelvetRed; 09-28-2009 at 11:55 PM.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Fierce Critter, I followed your adventure with the first dress in the other thread - I liked the sound of the modifications you made, and was sad to hear it didn't work for you. But this new dress looks beautiful... the high waist and draping remind me of Grecian style.
    I second the comment upthread about dangly earrings with a bare neck. And if you don't happen upon new shoes/bag today, don't stress about it... the black set will look great, especially for a formal (I'm guessing late) reception where you'll probably end up dancing the night away without them anyway. And with your hubby in the black suit (a straight pocket square, maybe in red, IIRC?), you two will look quite fabulous and elegant together.
    Not sure if you're considering a different hairstyle, but I keep imagining one of those side-swept, loose up-dos with the tendrils falling out - not too "promy" -kind of like this (with just loose curls, if the braids seem too casual) - still sort of Grace Kelly-ish, but "up".
    I hope you will post pics of you on the big night... have fun!
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3713877;
    Fierce Critter, I followed your adventure with the first dress in the other thread - I liked the sound of the modifications you made, and was sad to hear it didn't work for you. But this new dress looks beautiful... the high waist and draping remind me of Grecian style.
    I second the comment upthread about dangly earrings with a bare neck. And if you don't happen upon new shoes/bag today, don't stress about it... the black set will look great, especially for a formal (I'm guessing late) reception where you'll probably end up dancing the night away without them anyway. And with your hubby in the black suit (a straight pocket square, maybe in red, IIRC?), you two will look quite fabulous and elegant together.
    Not sure if you're considering a different hairstyle, but I keep imagining one of those side-swept, loose up-dos with the tendrils falling out - not too "promy" -kind of like this (with just loose curls, if the braids seem too casual) - still sort of Grace Kelly-ish, but "up".
    I hope you will post pics of you on the big night... have fun!
    You just said everything I was planning on saying!!! I agree completely, and only thing I can think to add is although both dresses are very beautiful, I would have picked the newest one if given the choice. Just love it, hope you have a wonderful time Fierce!!!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Heya, thanks all for the replies.

I experienced major burnout in the past couple days. Today I really kinda shutdown. I mean, I've been working my butt off to put together outfits for both myself and my husband, trying to formally dress two people on unemployment income while trying to save money to move in the next couple months. It's been all kinds of crazy.

I made it out to a few more places today but basically I'm settling on the black shoes & purse I've already got. Going to contact a local beauty school about having my hair done Saturday (should run around $15 vs. the $45 my stylist would have charged). And I'm making my own earrings.

I am, however, going to see if I can find a seamstress who will hem the dress for me. My sister tried to pin it up for me today and it turns out the hem is not a perfect circle. It's going to be a major pain to try to hem evenly myself, and though I'm a decent sewer myself, I don't have a delicate touch and hemming yards of chiffon may just be outside of my skill level.

I've got phone calls to make tomorrow, 3 days to work with and only about $50 to spend. Even that will be a major cut into our budget. But at this point, I just need someone to do this for me.

Gads. And this isn't even MY wedding! I'm just a guest!

Sigh. I usually don't mind doing the thrift store hunt and that sort of thing to save a buck, do things myself, etc. But right now, I'm feeling obnoxiously stressed out, and admittedly pouty.

I think I spent a total of $300 on our own wedding. 1/3rd of that was my husband's boots (we got married in medieval outfits). I can't imagine what a bride who spends thousands goes through. I think I understand bridezillas a little more. I'm guestzilla!!!

Fierce Critter, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! I, also, had an inexpensive wedding. Our outfits were able to be worn afterward. My niece's wedding in 1 1/2 weeks is formal. I was going to wear what I wore to my son's wedding, but I picked up an inexpensive black dress that looks really cool.

+ Reply to Thread