+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question of pocket squares

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

A question of pocket squares

I have a formal occasion this coming Saturday. I'm wearing a maroon formal gown with black accents, and tasteful classic rhinestone jewelry.

My husband will be in a black suit, with a maroon shirt that closely matches my dress. His shirt has a slight texture to it so it doesn't look like we rented our costumes from "Prom Nights R Us."

The intention was to get a black tie, satin and non-patterned, and a plain silk pocket square that matches the shirt.

I'm reading, however, the inadvisability of matching the pocket square too closely to the tie most specifically. Does this also apply when matching to the shirt instead? Since the shirt has a slight pattern, would a non-patterned silk pocket square in the same color count towards mixing-up the textures as suggested on websites I've seen?

And what, today, is considered the "in" way to wear the handkerchief? 4 points up? 2 points? 1 point? Straight?

<-- fashion confuzzled

Re: A question of pocket squares

Whoa and yowza! Who makes these rules? Do whatever makes you happy and comfortable and damn the topedos!
    Count your blessings!

Classic, classy and TIMELESS will always be a square such as the attached pictures.

I personally would opt for the white as James Bond does , because not many people could pull off the Dean Martin red.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

But if nothing in either outfit is white, it might jump out at you. I like the square top look, though.
    Count your blessings!

Ahh, Dean... Swoon...

Ahem.

Anyway, I've always been SO into duo-tone coordination. I like to think of myself as creative, but danged if I don't have a mental block if I'm called to throw in the monkey wrench of a 3rd color.

Again, the jacket & pants are black, the shirt maroon with a slight pattern, and this is a FORMAL occasion, so black tie. I'm talking to a group that's specifically about style. Like I told them, since this is a formal occasion (tuxes were optional), I'm having trouble with the thought of a tie that's anything but plain silk - an added pattern just seems to drop the level of formality to me.

Ditto the pocket square. The rule seems to be that it at least should be patterned if the tie is not, but dang it, again, there goes some formality.

The white pocket square IS classic. But it's also generally paired with a white shirt.

Hm. Which makes me personally believe going with a pocket square in the same color but maybe a darker shade than the shirt would be fine.

I'm leaning toward the 1 corner or straight fold.

Go with the same color darker shade straight classic fold. Can't miss!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I second that...OR!!! a row of rhinestones across it to match your jewelry. No? O.k.
    Count your blessings!

LOL Gutmutter - I actually considered getting him a rhinestone tie tack or tiebar, but pulled my brain back from the 80's and my Cyndi Lauper days and just said "NO!"

I did however cave to conventionality and went back and exchanged the maroon shirt for the white. It was actually the Bond pictures that swayed me more than the opinions I'm getting on the other message board.

I got a nice suggestion there that I'm going to follow. Since I've already fired up the sewing machine to work on my dress, I'm going to buy a swatch of linen and make him a square. Haven't decided on classic white or to go with the matching maroon yet, though. DEFINITELY doing with the classy Bond-inspired straight fold, though. Thanks Gabriel.

+ Reply to Thread