+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Gifts - The Good, The Bad, and The Regifting

Ugh, got a horrible wine rack as a bridal shower gift from a friend that had been married about a year before me. I didn't call her on it though, I should have.

FORT Fogey
    We need to dig up the old thread on this and merge it, someone last year had some of the worst (and most hilarious) gift stories.. mod, anyone??

Oh, sorry, I didn't know we had a thread on this last year. I'm rather embarrassed. Mod squad, help!
    ETA: I'm trying to "report post" on myself to bring this to a mod's attention, but don't seem to have that button....
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I get gifts from clients all the time, since they dont know me (the really nitty gritty) I get things that I can't use.
    Last Christmas - full gift set of Caroline's Irish Cream (glasses and all) It was beautiful .. but I'm not a drinker (of irish cream anyway) I regifted it as a hostess gift to my Aunt who hosted our family get-together last year.
    The same year - gift from a client also- a set of 6 humongous (beautiful) cafe au lait mugs (like Friends) with an old fashioned Christmas theme.. I don't drink coffe and I didn't want them to sit in storage collecting dust. I regifted them to another family member that I knew would get lots of use out of them.

i now remember writing this story before
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Oh, sorry, I didn't know we had a thread on this last year. I'm rather embarrassed. Mod squad, help!

Oh don't be.. it is probably buried under all the other old junk up in the FORT attic or down in the basement. If you weren't here you wouldn't know.. just a good reminder to go dig some of the seasonal junk out.. just get a mod w/a key to the storage and pull it all out!! :rudolph :santasmil :santawave

Here's my bad gift story from last year--not that the gift was bad, but if it's the thought that counts...well, it was meant as an insult.

My in-laws are pretty generous about Christmas presents; they do a lot of gift cards. My husband has three sisters, but I'm the only daugher-in-law. Usually they get all the girls the same stuff in the stocking. But last year Mom-in-law got all her daughters gift cards to Nieman Marcus, and my card was for Wal-Mart. More useful, yes. But she frequently refers to Wal-Mart as white trash heaven. So...yes.

(And then the other irritating/embarrassing part. She very clearly told the girls that their gift cards each had $100 on them. I, stupidly I suppose, assumed mine was the same. There was no amount marked on the card {always, always, mark gift cards!}. So I went on a shopping spree at white trash heaven, only to get to the counter to find out that my card was for $20. Very embarrassing, since I had to cancel out the order and return a bunch of stuff. Bad memories.)
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

How awful, Spegs!
    Duxxy, you get great gifts from these people who don't know you! I don't think there's anything wrong with regifting new things you won't use. I would have loved the Irish Cream thing. It's when people obviously are regifting old used stuff that galls me.
    And thanks, Firegirl; no, I wasn't here last year. Alas. So I'm just going to wait and a mod will figure out what to do about thread-merging eventually.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Spegs, that's terrible! I cannot hardly believe that.

Your mother-in-law sounds like the type of person who would pass out birthday invitations in school, so everyone who wasn't invited would feel left out.

spegs

That story deserves a thread called "worst in-laws". You have my sympathy. The worst gift I ever got from my mom-in-law was a black sweater (from Wal-Mart, lol) that appeared to be made out of what was once a black poodle. But she gave one to my sister-in-law too - I don't think she ever wore hers either (I put mine on once and my husband couldn't stop laughing).

I'm a shameless re-gifter. I got tons of stuff for a wedding shower that I already had (2nd marriage). Does anyone need two crockpots? (Hell, I don't really need the one I already had.) If it's brand new in the box it's fair game for regifting. If I'd returned it to a store they would've just put it back on the shelves anyway.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    Spegs, that's terrible! I cannot hardly believe that.

Your mother-in-law sounds like the type of person who would pass out birthday invitations in school so everyone who wasn't invited would feel left out.

Eggs-zactly.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

+ Reply to Thread