+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Gifts - The Good, The Bad, and The Regifting

oh yes. it went up in flames... and thank you for spelling poinsettias properly. i typed it like 4 different ways and NONE of them looked correct!

Well, I was not sure I had spelled it right, just flew out of my fingers that way. That is one of my mother's favorite plants.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Okay, I've got a couple:

When I was 15 or 16, some friends of my parents gave me a nasty looking black nogahide fringed vest and a real stuffed turtle - not a cloth one - a real one.

A few years ago my folks gave me a dvd of a crackling fireplace - and my TV is only 2 feet to the left of a real fireplace.

you can never have too many firelplaces?

what did youdo with the turtle? set it free?
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

My least-favorite gifts are things like winter gloves, flashlights, etc. I seem to get those every year from SOMEONE.

My Christmas tastes are pretty simple...Things on this year's list:

* An 8", non-serrated, wood-handled chef's knife

* A wooden pepper mill, no taller than 6"

* A bottle of Cool Water by Davidoff (I'm running low)

And so on... I feel that I'm pretty specific, and I don't ask for expensive items, so really, how hard can it be?

I too received a gift certificate for a turkey...but mine was for $5.00. (big spenders.) I also got a hideous sweater that had every color under the sun in it and to make matters worse, it was two sizes too small. ( this from my husband at the time...the worst gift giver ever...and now an ex!!)

Speaking of bad sweaters...

My parents sent to me a Christmas present when I was 23 and overseas.

I was young, single, and 6000 miles away from home for Christmas. So when the box came, I was pretty excited, afterall, it would be one of my only presents or contact with home.

So I open the box, there lies a YELLOW CARDIGAN SWEATER WITH A FRICKIN' SCOTTISH GOLFER LOGO ALL THE WAY UP THE RIGHT SIDE....

That my friends is the very embodiment of disappointment. The ironic part was that I opened this gift while in Singapore, on a 104F day, with about 80% humidity.

Sadly, this was only beginning of stupid golf gifts in my life. Perhaps John can relate to this, but as soon as people learn you like golf, it seems to be become a license for worthless golf related gift giving, as in ooooh....cheap golf desk toys, thanks dear, and here is that sapphire ring you wanted... UGH!

Kylie, I hope you are taking notes on this, as clearly this is an issue I knew resolution on...
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I also got a hideous sweater that had every color under the sun in it and to make matters worse, it was two sizes too small.
    Skey, it sounds like that was more a gift for your ex than for you - for some odd reason some guys like seeing women in sweaters that are two sizes too small. I'm not sure why. :rolleyes

Originally posted by Wayner
    A few years ago my folks gave me a dvd of a crackling fireplace - and my TV is only 2 feet to the left of a real fireplace.
    This one made me really laugh out loud.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Originally posted by Feifer
    what did youdo with the turtle? set it free?
    I'm sorry, Feif, but this has me in stitches. I'm laughing out loud in my cube. He said the turtle was stuffed. I'm picturing him throwing it out the door of his house: "Run, little turtle! Be free!" And it just thunks on the ground and lays on its back.

I'm such a sicko.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread