+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Gifts - The Good, The Bad, and The Regifting

That sounds like a great gift. Any time my mother gives money as a gift; she always tells the recipiant to buy something they otherwise would not. It is a great idea. You get what youwant, but would never have gotten without a boost. hehe!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

JR.
    Feifer, that's a great gift. I ALWAYS forget to buy those thigs when I go shopping.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Good: a perpetual calendar (been the most useful damn thing I've ever received)

Bad: A gift certificate from my mother-in-law that had EXPIRED!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by Paulie
    For worst gifts, my crazy, drugs-fried-his-brain uncle gave me a plastic bag for Christmas one year which contained some Chiclets and a bath brush. The man is simply not firing on all cylinders, sadly enough.
    I never thought anyone could top one of the stocking stuffers my mom gave me once, but I think you just did Paulie! Yikes.

Best gift: My cousin gave me a phone for X-mas when I was 13. My parents said, "gosh that was really nice of you, but she doesn't have phone jacks in her room, I guess we'll just hook it up downstairs". My cousin replied, "Yeah, I figured as much. That's why I brought everything I need to install a new line and jacks for her upstairs in her room. I'll go do that right now, OK?." Is that not the coolest cousin in the whole world?!?!?

Worst gift: My mother shops for X-mas year round. She is usually a generous gift giver with excellent taste, but occasionally she gets a little funky. One year she gave me a used toothbrush with my name on it. I know. She's a little nutty. It turned out that on her last vacation she forgot her toothbrush. When she went to the hotel gift shop, they only had fancy toothbrushes with names on them. She couldn't find her name so she bought one with my name. She saved it for me for 4-5 months, wrapped it, and put it in my X-mas stocking. Good lord.

Originally posted by Zhora
    One year she gave me a used toothbrush with my name on it. Good lord.
    My brother's gum and hairbrush gifts are starting to look better.

I told Dylan when we got married that if he bought me any appliances or cleaning supplies for a birthday/christmas/anniversary present when we got married that I would kill him. Those things aren't presents, they're punishment.

Best- Forsberg, my vibrator.

Worst- Last year Dylan's grandad bought me a $2 vynil apron from a dollar store. I knew it was $2 because he left the price tag on. He's 82 so I won't hold it against him, but what the hell kind of present is a cheapass apron for anybody?

Worst Christmas gift ever...

Please post your worst holiday gift !

It was hard to pretend I was happy with these:

I got a can of Prestone car wax last year from me secret Santa. It was so old that the bottom was rusty. He'd better hope he remains a secret.

I got a day-planner that had already expired.

Santa, being the thoughtful entity he is, gave my 1000 free hours of AOL in my stocking. He's getting poisoned cookies if he tries that crap again.

A few years ago, some crazy old bat from my ex-wife's family gave me a ceramic green duck that she wrapped up from her house. It was ugly as hell and had about a million chips in it. I guess it's easier to give me her old crap than to take it down to the dump.

3 or 4 years ago, my boss said that Christmas bonuses were too impersonal and he wanted to get us something with a personal touch (note that this info was given to us with a freaking MEMO!) so we all got a $15 coupon towards a turkey a Kroger.

Ok there's a few of mine...not it's your turn !

Coathangers wrapped in colorful yarn was a real winner I got as a kid.

Oh My God Bonker... those are too funny

I can't think of any really bad ones.
    The only "story" I have is that one year when I was about 12 or 13 I snooped and found a pair of BRIGHT RED corduroy pants about 4 days before Christmas. A day later I was shopping with my Mom and saw a pair and went on and on about how only a crazy person would wear them She was saying "Oh, I kind of like them". Before I finished opening them on Christmas morning she was saying "I HAVE THE RECEIPT" and laughing!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

well, i have to say my grandmother gives the worst gifts EVER! i remember one year for christmas she gave me a black sweatshirt, size small... you know one of those sweatshirts that has NO give whatsoever? anyway, she had cut out a panther and ironed that on there with some poinsettias...

hmmm impersonal christmas bonus vs. personal $15 off a turkey from kroger. i'm going to have to go with IMPERSONAL!

bonker. those are hysterical. i'm hoping the ex took the chipped green thing when she left...
    Last edited by sher; 11-26-2002 at 12:00 PM.

Sher I remember that shirt! The image of it is forever etched in my brain. The poinsettias, the panther and the leopard print were so....um...lovely! Did you end up burning that one?
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread