+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Gifts - The Good, The Bad, and The Regifting

The worst gift that I ever got was - get ready - a fly swat. It was from my mother-in-law at the time. I am no longer married to her son. I will never forget it either because he had a rather large family and they all got really cool gifts and then I opened up the fly swat. I was so embarrased. My ex-husband thought it was funny. I was the butt of jokes for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    The worst gift that I ever got was - get ready - a fly swat. It was from my mother-in-law at the time. I am no longer married to her son. I will never forget it either because he had a rather large family and they all got really cool gifts and then I opened up the fly swat. I was so embarrased. My ex-husband thought it was funny. I was the butt of jokes for years.
    I have to wonder why you were the butt of jokes and not the obnoxious mother-in-law.

By the way, welcome to the Crappy In-Laws Support Group! Our motto is "Karma will get them eventually."
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

The fly-swat reminded me of another story. This didn't happen to me, it was to my grandmother. Only twice in my memory did my grandfather do his own shopping for my grandma's Christmas gift (other times my mother did the shopping). Once he presented her with a globe of the world (this for a woman who NEVER traveled) and the other time he got her a fishing rod and a package of plastic barrettes. And she didn't even like to fish. He is just a hopeless shopper.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Gotta love the in-laws for bad gifts...

Received a "beautiful" hand-painted red cardinal bird plate (sarcasm emphasized); it was truly hideous (we actually put it out on display only when they would come over because we knew they would look for it, but then oops, it accidentally got lost in a move one year).

Another year, I received a set of flannel pajamas and a curling iron. She actually asked me one year if I wanted a sewing machine so I could learn how to sew like her (no offense to anyone who sews out there, but my idea of sewing is using "fabric glue"). Add that to the cookie sheets, bread maker and food dehydrator in other years and I swear I was getting suspicious of her motivations.

to whichever mod found the old thread and merged it. Thanks!
    Now I'm going back through the old ones and laughing my butt off...
    Last edited by Lucy; 12-02-2003 at 03:56 PM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    Gotta love the in-laws for bad gifts...

Add that to the cookie sheets, bread maker and food dehydrator in other years and I swear I was getting suspicious of her motivations.

- I actually received my SECOND bread machine last year, along with the flour, yeast, sugar, etc. I was mighty suspicious myself!!!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    My deranged uncle handed me a plastic bag at Christmas one year. It had a pencil, some Chiclets, and a giant bath brush inside. He gave an identical bag to my brother, and he gave my cousins (two girls) a Ouija board to share between them.

I actually liked the bath brush.
    Ok I think this is the one that had me rolling last year!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    My mother always buys my sister and I tampons and pads. The worst thing is, she wraps them up so you feel like a retard opening them.

She's done it since we were 14.
    Who can forget this one too! Remebers 14 yr old embarrasment at the commercials, nevermind opening them and actually holding them in front of your dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner

A few years ago my folks gave me a dvd of a crackling fireplace - and my TV is only 2 feet to the left of a real fireplace.
    I laughed so hard at this I almost fell off the couch.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

In my family there is a tradition of bad gifts. We always give eachother something nice, but if we find something truely hideous, we'll give that too for a laugh. My uncle once gave me a platic copy of a christ figure, bought in Brasil, and a picture frame with a plastic dragon wrapped around the frame (head at the upper left cornor, tail down the right edge). I've given a candle holder for a tea-light, covered in green and red glitter and green scented "burning sand". It's actually fun to go out and bargain hunt for something cheap, and we always laugh when someone get's something particularly horrible.

+ Reply to Thread