+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever been to a psychic?

Re: Anyone ever been to a psychic?

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3589579;
    I will be so bold as to say that it is all crap. Do some research on cold reading, and you'll see how they seem to get results. A good place to start is skepdic.com Another good source, believe it or not, is the show South Park, specifically The Biggest Douche in the Universe episode.

I'm with you, Newf!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I went to one once who immediately looked at me and made a bunch of wild guesses about my current life/career/loves etc. He was waayy off base.
    It cost 35$ back in 1995 this was.

My mother however read tarot cards and she was pretty good at it. She predicted the man I would marry and that a number of years would pass before that were to happen..(this was before we had even started dating) and some other minor things. She was self-taught and just did it for fun.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I like the ones for fun,....not the ones that are faked on purpose just to garner money.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Has anyone had their astrological chart done? A while ago, they used to do the charts of the horses in the Kentucky Derby, and they were usually right on the money as to whose chart said they were due for a win, based on the charts. I found that fascinating. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I don't know how to go about finding somebody experienced at doing charts. I've been wanting to have this done for years.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If there is any validity to astrology, an astrologer should be able to interview a person, asking anything and everything except the time and date of birth, and by working backwards from the information, derive the exact time, or certainly the date, of birth.

Ain't.Gonna.Happen.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3591369;
    If there is any validity to astrology, an astrologer should be able to interview a person, asking anything and everything except the time and date of birth, and by working backwards from the information, derive the exact time, or certainly the date, of birth.

Ain't.Gonna.Happen.
    Totally in agreement here. AGH!

I'm afraid I have to agree with Newf and Gabriel. I think things like this are fun as long as you don't take it too seriously.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

You don't have to be afraid to be right
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Shay, my aunt used to do astrology charts. I have the ones she did for me and for my daughter. Both have some things right and some things wrong about us.

I too am of the belief that there is too much unknown to be certain of anything. I have had a few of my own experiences that some might consider psychic. They were very eerie. I dont' claim to be psychic, but I've had several things happen that I knew were going to happen before they did and there was no way to predict them otherwise. I knew the day my dad died that he was going to die. I woke up knowing it and it happened. He wasn't in any imminent danger of death. Yes, he had health problems, but he wasn't in the hospital so it wasn't like he was on his deathbed and I knew from probability he would pass that day. I've had some other weird experiences like that as well.

I don't discount psychic phenomenon, but I do know that there are a lot of quacks claiming to be pyschics that probably are not.

I think that there are a lot of unexplained things we just don't know about, so I don't discount the possibilities. I don't think I"m completely nuts either. I didn't believe in ghosts until I had a personal experience.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I had a friend a while back (yes, I actually have friends!) who was into making astrological charts. She went through a horrendous divorce (her husband left her for her best friend) and ended up into doing charts for people. She's now into yoga and meditation. She feels good about herself now, so I can't say it's a bad thing. It's just not the thing for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast