+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyfriend vs Survivor

Boyfriend vs Survivor

Please give opinions, advice, share your thoughts and feelings, and if anyone is in, or knows someone in the same experience as I am.

My boyfriend of 11 months (we're pretty darned serious) simply cannot stand reality television like Survivor, I'm a Celebrity..., J&K..., BB, and all. As the regulars may know, I'm a reality TV hound. Matter of fact, my best friends and family know The Rule with me is to never call me during Survivor. The only people who can interrupt is when I'm on FORT when the show is on because they get into as much as I do.

My boyfriend considers himself as an intellectual (he has a Doctrate in Musical Arts) and drones on about how the shows rot your brain and even jokes how when he watched Survivor with me, he felt his IQ points dropping (or it might be because I whacked him in the head with a throw pillow?). Most of the time I laugh it off and other times I roll my eyes and groan.

Sometimes I agree with him that reality tv shows such as the ones I mentioned are downright stupid but, gosh darn it if it's not like a train wreck of a soap opera! I'm hooked!!!

Will there ever be a day when I have to make a choice between him or Surivor? Doubtful if he knows what's good for him!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Re: Boyfriend vs Survivor

suggestion - 2 tvs, 2 rooms. Hubby and I did that for years - He gets the big one in the family room, I have mine in the living room. and if we disagree - I go watch mine. *my hubby likes history ,documentaries, and bug shows - shudder.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3514991;
    suggestion - 2 tvs, 2 rooms. Hubby and I did that for years - He gets the big one in the family room, I have mine in the living room. and if we disagree - I go watch mine. *my hubby likes history ,documentaries, and bug shows - shudder.
    Ditto - 2 tvs and I DVR what I can and what it when I want to.

I have a split personality so I have 2 Tvs etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3514991;
    My boyfriend and your husband can watch TV together!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

2 tvs, 2 dvrs!! The best way to go.

Two tv's and two rooms is my option as well. Our rooms are pretty close to each other and we have to work on volume control, but it seems to work for Mr. C and I. We have been together for over 30 years! He likes to watch many shows at once, always switching the remote. He settles pretty often on bull riding which I have learned to enjoy sort of, parts of movies that he doesn't even know the titles of, various sports, history, Discovery, Cramer? that investment guy and much much more. I like many of the reality shows that many of us in FORT focus on and he despises those shows...oh well. I don't let it bother me one bit and watch them anyways. Just not very loudly. We both like watching landscape shows and he will sometimes watch other HGTV shows with me. It is a little lonely, but not a relationship breaker. The shows he likes are not terrible, but the switching back and forth drives me crazy!

Sounds to me as if the BF could be jealous of the time that you spend watching the reality shows and the passion that you have for them.

I think if your relationship is only 11 months old, you're better off DVRing your reality shows and watching something that you both agree on. My husband and I do the separate room, separate tv thing but we've been married a looooooong time! You guys are still in that lovebird, I can't be away from you for more than 5 minutes stage!

Hubby does watch Survivor and the Amazing Race with me. Sometimes American Idol.

But if Deadliest Catch, NCIS, any of the CSI shows are on at the same time, he will watch those shows in another room.

Multiple TVs and DVRs do the trick though. We recently celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary. I do, however, remember the dating years and have no recollection of really what was popular on TV back then. (Thankfully, that was way before reality TV emerged!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast