+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boyfriend vs Survivor

MRD

Re: Boyfriend vs Survivor

My bigger concern would be how he treats you when it's something YOU like as opposed to something HE likes.
    My husband and I have a lot in common, however, we have a lot that we both like that the other doesn't. I respect the fact that he has other interest that I don't share and he respects the fact that I have other interests that he doesn't share. I don't mock him and he doesn't mock me about those interests, we pursue them and enjoy them and respect each other's opinions about them.

And the 2 tv thing doesn't hurt either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I agree with MRD on this. Different interests - not a dealbreaker. Insulting your different interests and implying that they are for the intellectually inferior - definite dealbreaker. Personally I couldn't imagine maintaining a relationship with someone who had so little respect for me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3515880;
    I agree with MRD on this. Different interests - not a dealbreaker. Insulting your different interests and implying that they are for the intellectually inferior - definite dealbreaker. Personally I couldn't imagine maintaining a relationship with someone who had so little respect for me.
    ITA with Rattus and MRD. My husband isn't a reality TV fan, so I DVR and watch them when he is at work or watching his own show in another room. However, respect should be a top priority in any relationship!

I agree with MRD and Rattus-- if he is implying that he is sooooo much more intelligent than you are because he prefers watching PBS, the NASA channel, and MensaTV, something is wrong. If he's doing this after only 11 months, you just wait until it's been several years. Also, is he so uptight that he can't relax and watch some mindless drivel now and then? I think a serious discussion is in order.
    Also, if it gets too ugly, remind him that some of the former contestants, who are doctors, physics professors, even former astronauts, might not be all that impressed with his musical arts phd, but they watched and even played the game.
    Sorry, but when I hear someone say "I consider myself an intellectual", I usually am turned off by most anything else they have to add.
    Obviously, you don't feel that way about your fella, but I think a little fall off the high horse might be in order.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Well, judging by your FoRT join date, you were a reality tv watcher when he met you, and it sounds like you have been very good-natured about how you handle his kidding. I'm guessing that your passion for your favorite programs outweighs whatever dislike he may have for them, so in my eyes that settles it... if this is important to you, and not so important to him, then he should knock off the teasing and let you enjoy your shows in peace!
    (...so I didn't really offer any advice, just more of my opinion which was meant as support)
    remember to play

I feel the same way about sports that he feels about reality tv (sorry to sports fans), but I wouldn't try do make a guy feel stupid for watching. I'd use that for "me" time. If it's affecting your time together, or he can't find something to do when you're watching, then consider taping and watching another time. Don't change who you are for any guy! If he keeps teasing, gently tell him you don't appreciate the jokes. I enjoy shows that don't require any thought on my part. I also think that shows like Survivor and Big Brother are uniquely telling psychological vignettes.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3515966;
    I agree with MRD and Rattus-- if he is implying that he is sooooo much more intelligent than you are because he prefers watching PBS, the NASA channel, and MensaTV, something is wrong. If he's doing this after only 11 months, you just wait until it's been several years. Also, is he so uptight that he can't relax and watch some mindless drivel now and then? I think a serious discussion is in order.
    Also, if it gets too ugly, remind him that some of the former contestants, who are doctors, physics professors, even former astronauts, might not be all that impressed with his musical arts phd, but they watched and even played the game.
    Sorry, but when I hear someone say "I consider myself an intellectual", I usually am turned off by most anything else they have to add.
    Obviously, you don't feel that way about your fella, but I think a little fall off the high horse might be in order.

When I hear that, my mind automatically adds: "and a pompous ass".

I enjoy intellectual pursuits, but I also like stupid, meaningless stuff too. Anyone that is too good to enjoy some meaningless fun, is clenched too tight in my opinion. And I've met a few Phd's that qualified. But I've also met a couple Phd's that could get down to some good old bluegrass and also be at the symphony and the ballet the next night. It's all about balance in life and if you look down your nose at someone because you consider their hobbies to be inferior, then I don't want to know you. (I mean, you in the abstract sense, not you personally).
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12