+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Are you planning to go away? Or will it be a staycation?

Re: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3498119;
    Are you planning to go away? Or will it be a staycation?
    Hawai'i! Five nights Maui, five nights Big Island. Can't wait!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Have fun Ellen.

We're not going anywhere, probably for at least 2 years until we all get out of school and pay for a wedding.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We, so far, have no plans, but I am going to Paris for work, for a week soon. It's a conference and at the end we will stay for one day of sight-seeing in Paris. It's a hard job, but somebody has to do it .

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I should take a staycation, but I'm too selfish and am taking to out-of-town trips. Denver and Boston. Then it will probably be five years of staycation after that.

I hear ya. We've been staycationing for the past six or seven (?) years. And we would be this year, too, but the DH got a small inheritance from his mother. His dream has been to use some of the $$ for a "real go-cation for more than a weekend" -- to HI if possible. Then we were gonna wait until things picked up economically (his work, my business, etc.). And then we decided to go now, because at our ages and his health stuff, you never know, and five years down the road we might regret not having had gone when the money, time, and health is here now. So every so often, we look at each other and say "are we being stupid?" And then we look at our travel info and get all excited again! Luckily, we know a good travel agent who found us some amazing deals at places we never would have thought of.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Ellen, you are not stupid! I doubt the money I have spent of my last few year's vacations would last me long anyway, and the memories, as they say in the credit card ads, are priceless--something for me to think about when I get too old, sick, or broke to do much. This year, I went to Belize earlier, and didn't even spen $1000 total; last wekeend my sister and I went to Florida, and spent not too much; next week L and I are going to Memphis Tn for a weekend listening to music and such. Then I have to go back to work...my foot is finally healed enough, at least I hope so.

I usually base my vacations on what I can get a deal on when I plan, not by "I want to go to..". Hell, I want to go everywhere!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I never get to go anywhere on vacation, but this summer what I'm trying to do is go all sorts of places on public busses. I have no passport, but I could take the bus all the way to the border and back for just over $10. I can also go to the state capitol (70 miles away). I have a bus pass that allows me to go around three of the transit systems in the Seattle area, and I'm trying to take full advantage of that by going places that are so close but I never really end up going. I guess you can call it a staycation.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Trista, I could spend a week piddling around the tidepools in the Strait--also I loved looking for rocks near Forks. You are lucky to live in a state with several great national parks and all kinds of other public land. And you always have Pike Place Market...
    But I suppose most of us think vacationing close to home is less exciting.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3499035;
    I hear ya. We've been staycationing for the past six or seven (?) years. And we would be this year, too, but the DH got a small inheritance from his mother. His dream has been to use some of the $$ for a "real go-cation for more than a weekend" -- to HI if possible. Then we were gonna wait until things picked up economically (his work, my business, etc.). And then we decided to go now, because at our ages and his health stuff, you never know, and five years down the road we might regret not having had gone when the money, time, and health is here now. So every so often, we look at each other and say "are we being stupid?" And then we look at our travel info and get all excited again! Luckily, we know a good travel agent who found us some amazing deals at places we never would have thought of.
    Go, enjoy, have fun, make memories, you never know what tomorrow will bring. Enjoy life today. I learned that from a friend of mine that left this earth, shy of his 40th birthday but had lived all those years to the very brim.

Trista, most people don't visit the stuff in their own cities, so go and do around where you live and you are fortunate to live in a place with so much.
    Enjoy it.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-14-2009 at 08:09 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast