+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Re: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

I've been to Daytona but the reason we were there is because we were attending the Daytona 500. The weather was on the cool side so the beaches were pretty deserted. I would prefer a more private, secluded beach too, but speaking as someone who lives in the center of the country, ANY ocean beach is acceptable to me.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I've also wondered why so many flock to the overly populated beaches.
    I've been to Hawaii at least half a dozen times and while I think it's very beautiful, I have found the tourist attractions overly crowded and not much fun at all.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Nice to see you Americans are not letting the economy get in the way of your well-earned vacations! We have a new word up here for day trips and visiting things in your own backyard. It's now referred to as the 'staycation'! Since I live in a major tourist trap I will be visiting a winery or two in Southern Ontario since the Okanagan Valley is out this summer. Besides got to save for bike tour of Turks and Caicos!
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

I'm glad to know that both Candians and Americans use the same word. Staycation is in the news on a daily basis here.
    I find a lot less people are taking the types of vacations they did in past years. It's more day trips and weekenders that take place here.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I like the quieter beaches also, but I can tell you what I hear as the reasons people like the touristy ones...

"We like to be near lots of other things to keep up entertained besides the beach" (they are talking about amusement parks, arcades, go-karts, all that 'stuff'.)
    "We like to go where there are lots of places to drink, dance, and listen to music"
    "We get bored if there isn't anything to do" (see part A)
    We like going where there is good people watching (read, ogle lots of young folks in swimsuits, I guess )

When my sister and I went to sanibel earlier this year, I couldn't help laughing at two teenage girls in their little bikinis and cute sun hats. Their Mom was obviously tickled to death to be there, looking for seashells and puttering on the beach, but the two girls were obviously bored to tears....Mooooom--there's nothing to DO here--theres NOBODY here. We took that to mean "There are no BOYS here, just old folks!"
    I think my own vacations are lots of fun, but I have a lot of people tell me that "I can't just ride around looking at stuff--there has to be some night life", and things like that. More power to them, that means I don't have to be aggravated with constant radios, yelling kids, obnoxious teenagers and the like.
    Last edited by queenb; 08-08-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

OK, I can see the point to go to the busier beaches. Me, I prefer the down time with having nothing to do. Where we used to go, there were a few restaurants and bars, so we could have night life, but my idea of a beach vacation is having a week to do NOTHING. Lay in the sun, swim a bit, maybe fish some, walk the beach, listen to the waves and gulls and make margaritas in the condo. To me, nothing beats having nothing to do. I love it. I get recharged. But with kids and all, I can see going somewhere where there is a lot to do as well. I was just curious. I meant no harm.

And there are some great timeshares on places like Fripp Island and Pawley's Island, SC that are quite out of the way spots. There are also some great time shares on Gasparilla Island in FL. Which is where we go. I love that island. And I like that they have golf cart paths, so we never have to drive while there, we take the golf cart to "town".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FoRTer

No summer vacation here - we have a trip planned for fall break, and that's about all we can do this year. I will say these posts have me really craving a beach (and a quiet one at that!)... I guess it's a good thing school starts back here on Monday, or else I'd be trying to finagle & rationalize a last-minute road trip.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3649110;
    No summer vacation here - we have a trip planned for fall break, and that's about all we can do this year. I will say these posts have me really craving a beach (and a quiet one at that!)... I guess it's a good thing school starts back here on Monday, or else I'd be trying to finagle & rationalize a last-minute road trip.
    I would give my RIGHT arm to go to Boca Grande, FL (on Gasparilla Island) for a beach trip right now. Haven't been in 3 years.

But the rest of you, have a great time!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've got to kill a few days at the end of the month while my house is being painted and repaired (I will NOT try to sleep through ladders scraping, hammering, etc!), and it's gotta be cheap.... hmmm.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3649825;
    I've got to kill a few days at the end of the month while my house is being painted and repaired (I will NOT try to sleep through ladders scraping, hammering, etc!), and it's gotta be cheap.... hmmm.
    Have you thought about Charleston? If you stay out in Mt. Pleasant (and I can suggest a few hotels but I know you are great at finding good deals) it isn't that expensive and it is just a quick trip over the wonderful new bridge to the downtown/battery/historic area. The harbor/Ft. Sumter boat tours are fun and Sullivan's & Isle of Palms have nice beaches very nearby. It will be hot at that time of year, but nothing worse than what you are used to! Also, their Aquarium which is right on the harbor, has just undergone a big renovation. I haven't been yet, but I've heard that it is wonderful.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast