+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Re: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

This year we are going to Myrtle Beach in September. It will be my 3 year old's first time at the beach, and my hubbys first time at Myrtle (he's only been to Hatteras Island). We waited until school was back in so it may be less crowded (hopefully!) I dont know of much down there a toddler may enjoy but we are definatly going to the Ripleys Aquarium and eating at Margaritaville. Its our first non extended family vacation so we are looking forward to not having to work around what everyone else wants to see too.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

I am not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I am hoping someone can help!

My husband and I will be traveling in early August thru NYC and I really want to stop for a few days and explore. We do not know the area and are unsure of where to stay, how to get around, where to park, etc... We will have the car, a small dog and can spend around $100/night for a hotel (clean, safe, decent). Any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!!!!

Not taking a summer vaca, per se - but heading to Daytona the end of September for a week. And my son (who we don't get to see much because of college/research) is joining us!
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I had planned to write that I was going to spend my summer in the closets and cupboards of my house organizing and purging anything not needed. I still will do that, but have an opportunity finally to use the miles I have been saving up and will be going with my daughter to Maui for a week in August! (that's me working out for my time in the sun!)

Living in a place that gets overrun by tourist every summer, we don't go anywhere because the traffic turns us off the idea of having to navigate it to go visit somewhere else. Plus, why leave when you already live in a place people flock to? Also I get migraines when it gets too hot so my idea of a great vacation consists of staying indoors and out of the heat.

What we do is wait till September and take a trip up into the mountains for a Hot Air Balloon festival and to see the leaves change colors. Awesome balloons, wine, and then pretty scenery and mild weather! Plus most of the tourists have gone home and it's safe to be on our streets again (the constant slowing down to find a map or rubber neck drives you CRAZY and causes so many accidents that I literally count the days till they all go back home again).

FORT Newbie

I m goin to meet my grand mother and father on our village.

MRD

I don't mean to offend, but I have a question for you beach goers. What is the attraction of Myrtle Beach and Daytona? I've been to both and I prefer some of the more quiet, secluded beaches both in SC and Florida. My idea of a beach vacation is to not spend it with thousands of other people, to find the more unspoiled beaches and enjoy just kicking back and relaxing. I've found both MB and Daytona to be noisy, crowded and kind of dirty.
    There is a spot in Florida we used to go to for a week in July and quite often we were the ONLY ones on the beach. Now THAT is my idea of a good time. There were still resturants and shops when we didn't want to be on the beach, but it is definetly not the carnival atmosphere of some of the other more popular beaches. I know everyone is different, but I am just trying to find out why people are attracted to these spots because quite honestly, I don't know. Thanks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Why didn't you just start this post by saying "With all due respect..."?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3646474;
    There is a spot in Florida we used to go to for a week in July and quite often we were the ONLY ones on the beach. Now THAT is my idea of a good time. There were still resturants and shops when we didn't want to be on the beach, but it is definetly not the carnival atmosphere of some of the other more popular beaches. I know everyone is different, but I am just trying to find out why people are attracted to these spots because quite honestly, I don't know. Thanks.
    I totally agree with you. Maybe the people at the crowded beaches just think that is the way the beach is supposed to be because they don't know the quiet ones exist??

I don't have any experience with east coast beaches, but when I was younger I went to Hawaii a couple of times with my family. My parents friends had a beach house in Molokai that we stayed at and it was completely private beach. WONDERFUL!! I found it highly preferable to the crowded, yet popular, Waikiki Beach in Honolulu! Frankly, I think any beach on any of the other islands would have to be less crowded than Waikiki!

We go to the big ones because we have time share points and that is where the resorts are. We have a 3 bedroom suite on/near the beach. I have had no problems with crowds or dirty areas - but then we are at resorts, so I guess the beaches are more private. I'm in it for the comfort, places to go and things to do, and nice walks on the beach.

I am really looking forward to Daytona. We usually go during Bike Week and talk about a carnival!!! No motorcycle this time (its been quite a few years since we have gone anywhere without it) and I'm actually excited about it.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast