+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Re: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3507952;
    . . . I really don't know where all they are going because all they have been talking about is the various food buffets and restaurants on the ship.
    They could save a ton of loot, then, by hanging out in the food court of a mall for a week.
    (Hey, now there's a business idea . . .)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3508558;
    They could save a ton of loot, then, by hanging out in the food court of a mall for a week.
    (Hey, now there's a business idea . . .)

They are retired and they spend a LOT of time hanging out in mall food courts... So, I guess this cruise is like an expensive,floating food court!

QueenB: I haven't been to Memphis in a long time, but the inlaws were here last year and spent a few days in Memphis on their way home. I found them a great deal on a hotel in Southaven, MS. - just South of Memphis and very close to the airport if you are still considering flying. They did Graceland and ate a lot of bbq (in a mall food court ) and had a good time.

I really enjoyed Mud Island when I was there. I think it is something that you'd like too. And, the ducks at the Peabody are fun to watch - nice bar in the lobby where you can have a drink while waiting for the "duck parade". Have fun!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3508465;
    Whew--I do get to take the vacation week next week before going back to work, so thankfully, no headache trying to reschedule everything, and no losing my airfare, even though it wasn't much. Doxie, if I were going to Birmingham, I wouldn't have to have a whole week--I'm only 110 miles away. But I do need to eventually go there for the Penzey's store!
    In Memphis, L wants to see Graceland, so I'll go even though I'm not much of an Elvis fan--I'm more interseted in drinking and listening to music, and the museums! And, also I want to see a dog race, since I've never been
    My most vivid memory of Graceland is finishing the tour of the house sometime around 9/9:30 am, and since we'd had problems with the RV we'd rented the day before, we'd been up for quite awhile by that point, so the logical thing to do when we finished the tour was obviously to eat lunch! And we did!

Penzey's. Now THERE is a store that I really should make more of an effort to visit, as the herbs/spices are cheaper and higher quality than the local grocery stores. And they aren't even heavy or bulky!

MRD

I'm not much of an Elvis fan either, but I want to see Graceland and go to Beale St. and eat BBQ. Glad you get to go Queenb.

Doxie, some people cruise only for the food. And after having been on several, you sure don't go to see many sights. You spend 1 day in port, it's not always a full day and so while you get to go to several cities, you get the 5 cent tour of all of them. Having said that, it's still fun.
    I remember you telling me about your inlaws going to Memphis and eating BBQ from a Publix.

I've heard Columbia has a good zoo. I want to go to the state museum. I hear it's awesome (despite the fact that I got ripped by a phone caller the other day at our museum because I didn't know anything about the pottery exhibit at the state museum. We're a museum, they're a museum, I should know ALL about it. Geez.)
    We have a zoo. Big excitement a few months ago when we actually got a giraffe. No kidding. It made the front page of the paper.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3498807;
    I should take a staycation, but I'm too selfish and am taking to out-of-town trips. Denver and Boston. Then it will probably be five years of staycation after that.
    Boston? Did I make plans I forgot about? It should read Detroit. Gads, I hope I get on the right plane!

Two weeks to go! Weeee!

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3508720;
    :r
    QueenB: I haven't been to Memphis in a long time, but the inlaws were here last year and spent a few days in Memphis on their way home. I found them a great deal on a hotel in Southaven, MS. - just South of Memphis and very close to the airport if you are still considering flying. They did Graceland and ate a lot of bbq (in a mall food court ) and had a good time.
    We're flying--I do NOT ride in cars for more than 300 miles, unless it's a road trip at my own pace,and don't really have two days to devote to going there and back either...by that time, you've spent way more than the airfare on having to stay over an extra night, gas and food anyway.
    I got on Priceline and got us a very good deal on a nice Downtown hotel, right on the trolley line so we can drink the Big Ass Beer on Beale St without worrying, and get delivered to all the attractions. I got a rental car for one day, to go to Graceland and Tunica for a while, after that it's the trolley. And sorry, no mall food court .

I just hope this horrendous heat eases at least a little by next Wednesday. It's killing me to even go out for a few minutes right now. Luckily the hotel has an indoor pool, and the museums I want to go to have AC.
    If it had been 'my' choice, I would have waited till September or Oct. to do any vacations in my own region, but it wasn't my turn. I'll survive somehow.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

[QUOTE=queenb;3509640;] I got a rental car for one day, to go to Graceland and Tunica for a while, after that it's the trolley. QUOTE]

You may want to add Germantown to that list while you have the rental car. According to the Penzey's website, there is a store there! Not that we wouldn't love to have you visit B'ham, but I just thought you might want to check it out while you are in the Memphis area. I hope you have a great time!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Sounds like a great plan Queenb, have fun and buy a really tacky Elvis souvenier. My family long ago started a tradition and I"m not sure exactly how it got started, but we always bought one really tacky, really awful souvenier from each trip. It was a contest to see if we could outdo ourselves on each trip. I still have some of them and we always got great pleasure laughing about the Gaudy Gondola from Venice and the Tacky Taj Mahal from India. I recently had a cousin that asked me if I still had the Gaudy Gondola.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3511237;
    . . . My family long ago started a tradition and I"m not sure exactly how it got started, but we always bought one really tacky, really awful souvenier from each trip. It was a contest to see if we could outdo ourselves on each trip. . .
    What a fun tradition!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Pictures, pictures--dig out the Vacation Photo thread when you come back.

I'm leaving for Memphis tomorrow--looks like a great chance to get back used to staying up late at night (back to work next Monday)
    I really hope I'm not going to pass out in the heat--they will be even hotter there than what it's been here. They call for 101 and very high humidity over the weekend--I bet the hours of 11 am to 5 pm will be indoor only for me--thank God I got a hotel with an indoor pool!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast