+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Re: Where are you going on your summer vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3504283;
    Sadly, we'll just be going from the ship (in Whittier) to the airport in Anchorage. We won't have an opportunity to experience the city at all.
    I have talked to other people who went on Alaskan cruises that missed out on Anchorage also. Oh well, I'm sure the cruise will be wonderful!! The drive from Whittier to Anchorage is gorgeous!

We mayb have to wait on the Memphis thing--apparently the policy of taking the weeks vacation that you ran past while on sick leave may have been changed; the night boss doesn't seem to be sure. I do wish he would hurry up and let me know something. If not, we will just have to go later, but I don't even think about going there in July or the first half of August! It would be about too hot for me now, in the middle of the day. Later on, it's too hot for me to enjoy even at night.
    Inthegarden, it only costs $100 to fly from Atlanta to Memphis, so we would fly--but thanks for the info. If I get to go, is there another way to go across, if we decide to go to the dog races? (I have never been and want to check it out)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

queenb You should be okay, I just wanted to warn you so you could go slow and watch for the merging truck trafffic. It is so congested in that area and I always dread that stretch of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3504205;
    Columbia is in the middle of the state, so it gets no sea breezes like the coast and it is lower in elevation than where I live, so it's sitting in an area with no breezes, no mountains and the humidity is much higher.
    Ick! It makes as much sense to have made Columbia your capital as Sacramento ours -- why would one make the "armpit of the state" the capital?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3506010;
    Ick! It makes as much sense to have made Columbia your capital as Sacramento ours -- why would one make the "armpit of the state" the capital?
    Because of a hundred years worth of resentment towards Charleston from the "upcountry" as being the part of the state that decided everything. SC really should have been 2 states because of all the problems betwen the "lowcountry" and the "upcountry". So they decided that by making the capital in the middle it would end all that resentment. It didn't, it just made going to the capital a rather large pain in the butt and a hot one at that. I've always said that Columbia is the screen door to hell. Calling it the armpit is actually elevating it.

Add in all the politicians and lobbyist AND the largest state university all crammed up next to each other and it makes parking impossible and driving a nightmare. The University is literally on the next block over from the State House.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3506300;
    Add in all the politicians and lobbyist AND the largest state university all crammed up next to each other and it makes parking impossible and driving a nightmare. The University is literally on the next block over from the State House.
    And, that helps explain why it's so hot there too.

MRD

All the hot air from the politicians???
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That, and the college professors, and know it all 20 year olds!

Columbia has a nice zoo! We went there in June two years ago on our way to Charleston and it was hot, but not "Alabama Hot"

QueenB:If y'all can't make it to Memphis, you should check out Chattanooga. Or Birmingham!

My inlaws are going on a 14 day Alaskan cruise in about two weeks. I really don't know where all they are going because all they have been talking about is the various food buffets and restaurants on the ship.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Whew--I do get to take the vacation week next week before going back to work, so thankfully, no headache trying to reschedule everything, and no losing my airfare, even though it wasn't much. Doxie, if I were going to Birmingham, I wouldn't have to have a whole week--I'm only 110 miles away. But I do need to eventually go there for the Penzey's store!
    In Memphis, L wants to see Graceland, so I'll go even though I'm not much of an Elvis fan--I'm more interseted in drinking and listening to music, and the museums! And, also I want to see a dog race, since I've never been

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast