+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remembering RFK

MRD

Re: Remembering RFK

Oh, ok. and THANKS!

That family was the closest thing America had to a dynasty, but there were just so many tragedies. But because of Rosemary, this country now has the Special Olympics, thanks to her sister. I may be remembering wrong, but I thought I had read that Eunice Kennedy Shriver helped found that because of Rosemary.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I think that's true, but I was talking about her being made to have a lobotomy. I personally find that inhumane.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3488389;
    I think that's true, but I was talking about her being made to have a lobotomy. I personally find that inhumane.
    It is and thank goodness they don't do that anymore. But it happened to a lot of people in the name of "medicine", thinking it would help. I'm so glad that medicine and mental health care has come so far away from all that.

My daughter got to hear Eunice Shriver speak at her school. I wish I could have gone, but I wasn't able too. I had to impart on my child that it was important and she was important and to pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3488787;
    It is and thank goodness they don't do that anymore. But it happened to a lot of people in the name of "medicine", thinking it would help. I'm so glad that medicine and mental health care has come so far away from all that.
    I am so glad that medicine and mental health care has come farther also, and to answer another poster, yes Special Olympics was founded because of this.

Well even though it was something new at the time, that was thought to be able to work, I still find it utterly shocking that Joe Sr., supposedly did this while his wife was away and she supposedly had no knowledge of it. I have read somewhere that someone being interviewed said that what Rosemary had would today be described simply as Dislexia (sp?), that the "slow and retarded" stories started AFTER the lobotomy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3488918;
    I am so glad that medicine and mental health care has come farther also, and to answer another poster, yes Special Olympics was founded because of this.

Well even though it was something new at the time, that was thought to be able to work, I still find it utterly shocking that Joe Sr., supposedly did this while his wife was away and she supposedly had no knowledge of it. I have read somewhere that someone being interviewed said that what Rosemary had would today be described simply as Dislexia (sp?), that the "slow and retarded" stories started AFTER the lobotomy.
    Wow, I never knew that before. Makes it even more horrendous and sad. What little bit I"ve read or heard about Joe, Sr. has never been good, but to take his daughter in for a lobotomy without his wife's knowing about it. How utterly dispicable.

Unfortunately, at the time Rosemary received her lobotomy, it was the recognized procedure to do. We know, years later, that lobotomies were wrong. People did not know that in those days.
    Rosemary supposedly suffered mood swings and was a bit rambunctious and highstrung. The family supposedly found it difficult to control her behavior. In addition, she was deemed to have some "slight retardation."
    Joe Kennedy, from all that I've read, does not appear to have been the kindest or most empathetic character. However, in his defense, the lobotomy was done more than 50 years ago and it was a widely accepted treatment of the times. I don't think it's necessarily fair to judge him by this act.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm not judging him for having it done, I am critical of the way he went about it. Again, (I am looking for the source, it is in one of the many Kennedy books I have) I have read that the irrational behavior, mood swing etc., stories were fabricated by Kennedy AFTER the lobotomy. I think the Kennedy family was one of the best political families to happen during the 1900's and I still to this day hold them in high regard for service to America, Despite Senator Ted's past I feel he has become one of our best elder Senators for the common people and I am grateful that he has served.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12