+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee Surgery

Knee Surgery

On April 29th I had surgery to repair my Meniscus it was torn in two places. I start PT tomorrow. Has anyone else had the surgery and about how long did it take recovery wise to get back to normal?
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Re: Knee Surgery

MsDiva- I had my knee "cleaned up" (removed debris) and smoothed off rough meniscus edges maybe 5 years ago. Don't remember exactly how long, but recovery was relatively quick. Seems like a couple of weeks or so. PT involved range of motion & strengthening exercises. The surgery really gave me relief, hopefully you will find yours will do the same. A tip, one cannot ice too much, keeping the swelling down will keep you more comfortable and therefore more movement possible. Wishing you speedy healing!

ETAMsDiva - Mr. C and I both had surgery recently to repair a torn menisucs. Mr. C's surgery was in October, mine in January. He has gone through two rounds of PT and is still having some issues, whereas I did not have to have any PT and am probably at about 90% now. My surgery was - obviously - not as extensive as his was, as the doctor had to scrape his bone, and his tear was much worse. I think mine was just a simple tear that, once repaired, healed pretty normally. All of that to say, each experience is individual, as there are so many different levels of injury and/or surgical interventions that can be done to repair the injury. I did do some of his PT excercises at home with him, and I think that did help me as well. I think, too, that the first time he went to PT, the guy rushed him through it and that is why he ended up having to go back . . . so I would definitely say to let your body be the guide - if they are saying you are "done" but you don't really feel like you are, then speak up! You know your body best, and it is better to have do PT a little bit longer than to have to go back a second time . . . just ask Mr. C!

Best of luck to you! I can honestly say that I am SO glad that I had the surgery done - it is wonderful to not have the constant pain that I used to have!

Edited to add: To answer your question about how long it took to get back to normal - I went back to work six days after surgery and I wasn't using crutches at all. I could have gone back to work earlier, but I had the surgery done right before a long holiday weekend. Of course, after only six days I was walking REALLY slow and limping, but I was making it on my own efforts. It probably took me about another two weeks before I was back to walking at normal speed without a limp at all. I say that I am at about 90% now because there are still days when I notice that certain movements will cause slight pain, and my doctor says that it will take a good six months for the muscle to fully recover and gain full strength back.
    Last edited by chrelsey; 05-07-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Thanks, I have PT for 6 weeks. I had two tears in mine both fairly bad. I was using a Cane prior to surgery. I am not able to return to work because I am on my feet at work 8 hours a day most of the time. So I am out until all of my PT is completed about 6 weeks and then I should be able to return to work.

The funny thing is I am not sure how I injured it. I started having problems last August while on Vacation in VA. When I came home a week later I was in the ER and had an MRI and was told I had torn my meniscus. My boyfriend thinks the stilettos I so covet my be the culprit,lol.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I had my ACL repaired. I blown it out playing basketball a few years ago. It took me a year and half to get back to normal. Had to do PT for a while because kept having problems with the knee. But once I started running again the pain started to slowly go away (my PT thought scar tissue was being broken up). Still get sharp pains once a while in my knee and can't sit for very long periods, but other than that its fine.

Premium Member

Knees suck. I just had a total knee replacement on March 30, so I'm into my 5th week of PT. Yesterday was the first time I was finally able to get the pedals on the stationary bike all the way around because the hardest thing for me has been getting it to bend. Take good care of your knees, guys, because the recovery from this surgery is not fun. It's been very tedious and frustrating, although I know it will be well worth it a few months from now.

I just came home from my 2nd session of Pt. I swear it is torture. I think part of the issues with my Knee is it is on the same side that I have broken the ankle twice. I started gymnastics at around 4 and by the time I got to college I had broken my right ankle two times. I think those prior injuries and the knee are just taking a toll on my old tired 46 yr old body,lol.

I have been icing it 4-5 times a day and I still have some swelling. I just want to recover so I can get back to normal.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

MsDiva, when my mom had her knees replaced and did her PT, her doc advised her to take her pain pills before the PT. If she wasn't on pain pills anymore, they told her to take ibuprofin. She said that did help a lot.

One of my friend's mom had both of her knees replaced at the same time! She figured she would just get them done at the same time and endure the postop and PT once. Actually, it worked for her. I don't know how she did it!

MamaC,thanks for the advise I will try that next week when I go. I waited until I got home and let me tell you I was in so much pain I just wanted to cry.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Awww, definitely take them before you go. I wonder why your doc or even the PT never thought to tell you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast