+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Landlord/Tenant question

Re: Landlord/Tenant question

All of our tenants have also asked FIRST if they could paint a room a different color. We would have them show us the color and if it was too bright or too dark, or too weird!, they would know that they would have to paint it back to a more neutral one before they moved out.

No one ever had the audacity to remove carpeting! We have replaced carpeting when people moved out and before new tenants moved in.....only because the older carpet was trashed, stained, or stunk!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3387568;
    I kind of blows me away that a tenant would do things like change flooring or paint rooms in a property that they do not own. When we rented, it never would have occurred to me to make a change like that....
    My brother & his ex did a ton of work in their rented condo. The owner was delighted and gave them a discount on their rent. As it turned out, they split up, and my brother ended up buying a different condo in the same building and did full renovations yet again. Now he & his new wife are expecting a baby and they'll have to move as there's not really room for a little one. All this within a 5-year period.

oTs, I'm glad the wallpaper was the only thing the tenants were worried about your seeing. Did you get a chance to speak with them and assure them that you don't have a problem with their minor redecorating?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3387503;
    Probably because there are many renters out there who don't have as good taste as you do Gabriel. You sound like a landlords dream tenant.
    Only because I fix my own stuff and improve the apartment. This year I am putting in carpeting I hope. But my rent is also some of the lowest in the building and actually on this side of town for this size one bedroom apt.

The biggest thing in this building is that when my landlord needs to enter the aprt for some work that he has done for me, he message always ends with and we will get in & out fast and make sure Joey does not get out.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3387609;
    My brother & his ex did a ton of work in their rented condo. The owner was delighted and gave them a discount on their rent. As it turned out, they split up, and my brother ended up buying a different condo in the same building and did full renovations yet again. Now he & his new wife are expecting a baby and they'll have to move as there's not really room for a little one. All this within a 5-year period.
    I supposed it would also depend on how long you planned to be in the location where you are renting. I have never rented a place where I planned to stay long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3388319;
    I supposed it would also depend on how long you planned to be in the location where you are renting. I have never rented a place where I planned to stay long-term.

I've been here since 1997 and plan to be carried out in that pine box here.

Funnily enough (or not), I'm now having the same problem as OneTV. We have a new insurance company and they want to get into the house to take pictures of the furnace, etc. The neighbor has told them to call me, my daughter went over and told them to call me, they weren't answering their phone. Finally I got ahold of them on Monday morning and gave her the contact information, only to get a call this afternoon that the tenants STILL haven't called the insurance inspector.

I read our lease and it says we reserve the right to go into the house for inspections or repairs by notifying them in writing 48 hours ahead of time. I'm probably going to have to mail a certified letter tomorrow.

(Not to mention I found out from the same neighbor our tenants just got a new puppy - which is on the violent animal list. I hope that doesn't invalidate the policy.)

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3394758;
    (Not to mention I found out from the same neighbor our tenants just got a new puppy - which is on the violent animal list. I hope that doesn't invalidate the policy.)
    Is it the breed that is on the list or does this company think puppies in general are "violent animals"?

If the puppy is on the forbidden list--I guess you would be have to tell them they have to get rid of it within a certain amount of time, in which case your insurance will still cover you. That's awful, I know; I guess landlords need to ban brreds that their insurance won't cover, right on the lease.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

There are four breeds on the violent list: Dobeys, Rots, Pits, & Akitas.

My across the street neighbor has the most gorgeous & fun Dobey. My brother had a Rot and he was a big baby. I really don't believe in the so-called violent dogs just because of their breeding. It's the way they're raised & treated. I knew someone with a terrier and it was the meanest, nastiest thing & constantly bit people.

I think that list is mostly made up because those are the breeds "thugs" like to have, to train to be nasty. I do think some breeds of dogs are more trainable to be aggressive--and I would put a few more on there. But I do agree, most of these dogs are good if they are treated well. I've had lots of doggie friends that are on the "mean" list and had only one problem. Then again, if a wannabe gangsta has one of the listed dogs, and trains it to be mean, it will hurt someone a lot worse than a poodle or terrier when it bites. I know--I got badly bitten right on the a$$ by a Dobie who was generally my best friend, but was fed up because her people had an all weekend garage sale, with the dog safely put away. That Monday, I came for my weekly chess game with my friend, and the dog just attacked, when I was standing and talking to my friend, same as every week. I think Princess (the dog) had just decided that the next person in the house who didn't live there was getting bit, no questions asked. She had never done it before, and as far as I know never did it again either. (I actually had to talk my friend out of putting the dog down )

Anyway, whether there is any truth or basis for the insurance rules--rules are rules. Sorry, but I'd tell them to rehome the puppy rather than lose my insurance on my property. And, I'd make any future pets have to be pre approved.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread