+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Landlord/Tenant question

Re: Landlord/Tenant question

In Ca it's 24 hours.
    I agree with other posters that something sounds wrong with these tenants. While I can appreciate a tenant not wanting their landlord to come in unannounced, their constant refusal to allow someone, even when it is necessary, means they are trying to hide something from the landlord.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Thank you everybody for your input! FORTers are the best.

Update: our handyman was able to get over there today to repair the outlets and look around. He thinks that the reason they didn't want us to come over is because they have put wallpaper up. He said it actually looks pretty good. The house has kind of an outdated look, so we honestly don't care that they wallpapered. We figure they can get rid of it and repaint when they move, or if we like it, we'll leave it. As long as they are not burning the place down, running a meth lab, or housing 25 cats, I can live with some wallpaper. Other than that, everything else seems fine and he can do the rest of the repairs from the outside. Could have been worse.
    In times like these, we really don't want to lose a paying tenant if we can help it. Hopefully they will be more cooperative in the future - but it is certainly good to know what our rights are.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;3387045;
    Thank you everybody for your input! FORTers are the best.

Update: our handyman was able to get over there today to repair the outlets and look around. He thinks that the reason they didn't want us to come over is because they have put wallpaper up. He said it actually looks pretty good. The house has kind of an outdated look, so we honestly don't care that they wallpapered. We figure they can get rid of it and repaint when they move, or if we like it, we'll leave it. As long as they are not burning the place down, running a meth lab, or housing 25 cats, I can live with some wallpaper. Other than that, everything else seems fine and he can do the rest of the repairs from the outside. Could have been worse.
    In times like these, we really don't want to lose a paying tenant if we can help it. Hopefully they will be more cooperative in the future - but it is certainly good to know what our rights are.
    Whew, that must be a huge weight off your shoulders!! When you mentioned water, I had nightmarish visions of water damage and destruction in my head!!

I was thinking more along the lines of a crack house, or 14 people sub-letting rooms! maybe the tenants just like to pretend it's "their" house. Or maybe they were worried about the wallpaper. At least they didn't paint a full scale jungle mural on the bedroom walls like I did to one apartment when I was very young (but it did look good!)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Speaking as a renter, that is why it is so improtant to let the property owner know if you would like to do something like that. Actually most leases do say you must get permission. My owner is really cool and pretty much lets me do what I want but I do keep him in the loop. For example, I installed track lighting in my living room years ago and the old owner revised the lease to read that the track was installed and it is my right to take it with me if I choose(I wouldn't - too much hassle)I've also put new faucets in the kitchen and bath, new lighting in the kitchen, and recently when I painted, the current owner actually asked what color it is and it is now his standard apartment repaint color.

Probably because there are many renters out there who don't have as good taste as you do Gabriel. You sound like a landlords dream tenant.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;3387045;
    As long as they are not burning the place down, running a meth lab, or housing 25 cats, I can live with some wallpaper.
    What's wrong with housing 25 cats, Harvey, Finley, Lincoln, Mischka, Marti, Spike, Creamsicle and all their friends would like to know?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Mostly the smell, the fur and the kittens Rattus
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Speaking as a renter, that is why it is so improtant to let the property owner know if you would like to do something like that. Actually most leases do say you must get permission. My owner is really cool and pretty much lets me do what I want but I do keep him in the loop. For example, I installed track lighting in my living room years ago and the old owner revised the lease to read that the track was installed and it is my right to take it with me if I choose(I wouldn't - too much hassle)I've also put new faucets in the kitchen and bath, new lighting in the kitchen, and recently when I painted, the current owner actually asked what color it is and it is now his standard apartment repaint color.
    And I have the opposite situation. My tenants are very nice, and according to the neighbors (we moved out of state), very quiet and have been keeping up the property. However, when we went to visit for our daughter's birthday (she stayed behind), we stopped over to pick up the monthly rent check (called first). They were more than obliging to have us come in and the place is very clean - but they ripped out all the borders, ripped out the carpeting in two of the bedrooms, painted one bedroom vibrant pink & purple, and have one extra adult child living there than is on the lease. Obviously I can use their deposit if they don't repaint to a neutral color or replace the carpeting to our satisfaction. But I would've liked to been asked first if they could make these changes.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3387531;
    ...but they ripped out all the borders, ripped out the carpeting in two of the bedrooms, painted one bedroom vibrant pink & purple, and have one extra adult child living there than is on the lease. Obviously I can use their deposit if they don't repaint to a neutral color or replace the carpeting to our satisfaction. But I would've liked to been asked first if they could make these changes.
    I kind of blows me away that a tenant would do things like change flooring or paint rooms in a property that they do not own. When we rented, it never would have occurred to me to make a change like that....

+ Reply to Thread